making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
The new DG2 has some great features, but on my phone its performance
makes it unusable.  Scrolling is painfully slow, the reordering and
deleting slow enough to feel wonky.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there some special combination of
acceleratedRendering and/or other features I should be setting with the DG?

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hey Richard did you hear Kevin's interview with Mark during the global
conference? in it he mentioned the difficulties in documenting how the
accelerated rendering works .... so there will be a "debug" mode that helps
developers to visually see what is working with accelerated rendering and
what isn't.

Its not an answer, but its what I know so far.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The new DG2 has some great features, but on my phone its performance makes
> it unusable.  Scrolling is painfully slow, the reordering and deleting slow
> enough to feel wonky.
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there some special combination of
> acceleratedRendering and/or other features I should be setting with the DG?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Good to hear about anything that improves overall rendering performance.

But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?

I hope so.  It's pretty cool, but too stuttery to foist on end-users.
I'd like to believe it's just something in my setup, and that there's a
way to use it that's as cool as its feature set.

Tom Glod wrote:

> Hey Richard did you hear Kevin's interview with Mark during the global
> conference? in it he mentioned the difficulties in documenting how the
> accelerated rendering works .... so there will be a "debug" mode that helps
> developers to visually see what is working with accelerated rendering and
> what isn't.
>
> Its not an answer, but its what I know so far.
>
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> The new DG2 has some great features, but on my phone its performance makes
>> it unusable.  Scrolling is painfully slow, the reordering and deleting slow
>> enough to feel wonky.
>>
>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there some special combination of
>> acceleratedRendering and/or other features I should be setting with the DG?

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode

> On 31 Jan 2018, at 2:07 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good to hear about anything that improves overall rendering performance.
>
> But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?

DG2 is a multi-part project and there’s still some work to be done on the accelerated rendering required so the nested groups in the datagrid are able to use a scrolling layer mode.

Cheers

Monte

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
So is that an RC1 thing or a 9.1 thing?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:13 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 31 Jan 2018, at 2:07 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Good to hear about anything that improves overall rendering performance.
> >
> > But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?
>
> DG2 is a multi-part project and there’s still some work to be done on the
> accelerated rendering required so the nested groups in the datagrid are
> able to use a scrolling layer mode.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
@Richard have you tried Bernd's modTableField as an alternative?  I'm
deploying it in my second project, and it's pretty darn cool.  And fast.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So is that an RC1 thing or a 9.1 thing?
>
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:13 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > On 31 Jan 2018, at 2:07 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Good to hear about anything that improves overall rendering performance.
>> >
>> > But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?
>>
>> DG2 is a multi-part project and there’s still some work to be done on the
>> accelerated rendering required so the nested groups in the datagrid are
>> able to use a scrolling layer mode.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Monte

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Mike Kerner wrote:

 > > On 31 Jan 2018, at 2:07 pm, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 > >
 > > But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?
 >
 > @Richard have you tried Bernd's modTableField as an alternative?  I'm
 > deploying it in my second project, and it's pretty darn cool.  And
 > fast.

Indeed it is.  Bernd does great work, and his modTableField is no exception.

I used to maintain a similar single-field+header solution before DG1
premiered, but DG generally does what I need so I stopped working so hard.

The thing with DG2 is that it's nicely designed for mobile use, if only
the performance was as good as its design.  The delete and re-ordering
are well thought out, and in theory will be delightful to use.

Monte's note that they're working on it is promising, seems worth
waiting for.

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Is it possible get the demo file the Mothership did in the email that showed off the new features..?  I would love to see that.

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
> > > On 31 Jan 2018, at 2:07 pm, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> > >
> > > But as for DG2, am I the only one who finds it too wonky to use?
> >
> > @Richard have you tried Bernd's modTableField as an alternative?  I'm
> > deploying it in my second project, and it's pretty darn cool.  And
> > fast.
>
> Indeed it is.  Bernd does great work, and his modTableField is no exception.
>
> I used to maintain a similar single-field+header solution before DG1 premiered, but DG generally does what I need so I stopped working so hard.
>
> The thing with DG2 is that it's nicely designed for mobile use, if only the performance was as good as its design.  The delete and re-ordering are well thought out, and in theory will be delightful to use.
>
> Monte's note that they're working on it is promising, seems worth waiting for.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Was it a file?  I don't remember seeing a file.  I just remember the webex
session.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:01 PM, PystCat via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible get the demo file the Mothership did in the email that
> showed off the new features..?  I would love to see that.
>
> > On Jan 31, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > @Richard have you tried Bernd's modTableField as an alternative?  I'm
> > > deploying it in my second project, and it's pretty darn cool.  And
> > > fast.
> >
> > Indeed it is.  Bernd does great work, and his modTableField is no
> exception.
> >
> > I used to maintain a similar single-field+header solution before DG1
> premiered, but DG generally does what I need so I stopped working so hard.
> >
> > The thing with DG2 is that it's nicely designed for mobile use, if only
> the performance was as good as its design.  The delete and re-ordering are
> well thought out, and in theory will be delightful to use.
> >
> > Monte's note that they're working on it is promising, seems worth
> waiting for.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World Systems

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
It was an email announcing some of the new features and it showed a web clip of it in action.  It was WAY cool showing the drag and sort along with the swipe to delete… AND this was on a desktop.

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 4:29 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was it a file?  I don't remember seeing a file.  I just remember the webex
> session.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:01 PM, PystCat via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible get the demo file the Mothership did in the email that
>> showed off the new features..?  I would love to see that.
>>
>>> On Jan 31, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Indeed it is.  Bernd does great work, and his modTableField is no
>> exception.
>>>
>>> I used to maintain a similar single-field+header solution before DG1
>> premiered, but DG generally does what I need so I stopped working so hard.
>>>
>>> The thing with DG2 is that it's nicely designed for mobile use, if only
>> the performance was as good as its design.  The delete and re-ordering are
>> well thought out, and in theory will be delightful to use.
>>>
>>> Monte's note that they're working on it is promising, seems worth
>> waiting for.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
I don't know, but you can create quickly and easily something similar,
for a test.

1. Create a new datagrid form

2. Populate it with some data, by using the inspector

3. By adding this script in a button, turn the datagrid in edit mode.

set the dgEditMode of grp "datagrid 1" to true

4. You can disable / enable the animation by using the "animate
actions" property:

set the dgProps["animate actions"] of grp "datagrid 1" to false

5. And the property "enable swipe" will give you the possibility to
turn on / off the swipe gesture.

set the dgProps["enable swipe"] of grp "datagrid 1" to false

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:32 PM, PystCat via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was an email announcing some of the new features and it showed a web clip of it in action.  It was WAY cool showing the drag and sort along with the swipe to delete… AND this was on a desktop.
>
>> On Jan 31, 2018, at 4:29 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Was it a file?  I don't remember seeing a file.  I just remember the webex
>> session.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:01 PM, PystCat via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible get the demo file the Mothership did in the email that
>>> showed off the new features..?  I would love to see that.

>>> exception.

>>> premiered, but DG generally does what I need so I stopped working so hard.

>>> the performance was as good as its design.  The delete and re-ordering are
>>> well thought out, and in theory will be delightful to use.

>>> waiting for.

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>   and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: making DG2 usable

dunbarx via use-livecode
Zryip,

You're the best!  Is this in the API guide...?  I need to download the new one.  I'm still looking at the one Trevor did a while back under Blue Mango.