mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I just got around to building a new version of an existing project and
discovered my barcode scanner didn't work. Quick check of the release
notes for 8.2.0dp1 stated that mergZXing was being deprecated and to
use mergAVCam instead.

I can't find mergAVCam (assume mergAV is the inclusion, but this
wasn't selected by "Search for required inclusions...") or any syntax
that will support barcodes now. Tried 8.2.0dp1 and 9.0.0dp7. I'm also
using the Spinner widget so I get a "can't find module" error when
trying with 8.1.7.rc2.

Can anyone provide a basic code sample for how this should work now?

--Andrew Bell

Re: mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Which platform are you going for?  mergav is for ios and osx.  You can't
use "search for", you have to include it manually.
it works fine for me in my apps.

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got around to building a new version of an existing project and
> discovered my barcode scanner didn't work. Quick check of the release notes
> for 8.2.0dp1 stated that mergZXing was being deprecated and to use
> mergAVCam instead.
>
> I can't find mergAVCam (assume mergAV is the inclusion, but this wasn't
> selected by "Search for required inclusions...") or any syntax that will
> support barcodes now. Tried 8.2.0dp1 and 9.0.0dp7. I'm also using the
> Spinner widget so I get a "can't find module" error when trying with
> 8.1.7.rc2.
>
> Can anyone provide a basic code sample for how this should work now?
>
> --Andrew Bell

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I mistakenly said I couldn't get this to work in 9.0.0dp7 (which it
does), I meant to say it did NOT work in 9.0.0dp9 which is on par with
8.2.0.dp1.

I know Android doesn't have the same support for barcode reading as
iOS, so I'd be fine just getting iPad functionality with this. I
manually added mergAV (still don't understand why this wouldn't be
found automatically), but the cards in my stack are unresponsive
trying to trigger mergZXingControlCreate which I'm sure the external
knows nothing about (it's syntax doesn't have anything about barcodes
@ http://mergext.com/home/mergav/ ). Guessing that I'm not calling the
correct functions at this point.

The LC release notes say this was being deprecated because the ZXing
project wasn't supported on iOS, but it seems to function fine on my
iOS 11 test device (when built from LC 9.0.0dp8). It looks like the
project is being ported over to Obj-C using a slightly different name
@ https://github.com/TheLevelUp/ZXingObjC which discusses Xcode 9 and
has commits as recent as a week ago.

If the library needs to be pulled from LC, then it seems like there
should be a little more explanation as to how to proceed with the
workaround than the release notes mention.

--Andrew Bell

> Which platform are you going for?  mergav is for ios and osx.  You can't
> use "search for", you have to include it manually.
> it works fine for me in my apps.
>
> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just got around to building a new version of an existing project and
>> discovered my barcode scanner didn't work. Quick check of the release notes
>> for 8.2.0dp1 stated that mergZXing was being deprecated and to use
>> mergAVCam instead.
>>
>> I can't find mergAVCam (assume mergAV is the inclusion, but this wasn't
>> selected by "Search for required inclusions...") or any syntax that will
>> support barcodes now. Tried 8.2.0dp1 and 9.0.0dp7. I'm also using the
>> Spinner widget so I get a "can't find module" error when trying with
>> 8.1.7.rc2.
>>
>> Can anyone provide a basic code sample for how this should work now?
>>
>> --Andrew Bell

Re: mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
There are barcode calls in mergav.  There is also a sample stack that
demonstrates how to use it for scanning barcodes.  All the MergAV calls are
documented in the dictionary.
I believe the other reason why zx was deprecated was because av is faster
and more accurate - at least it would appear to be for me.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I mistakenly said I couldn't get this to work in 9.0.0dp7 (which it does),
> I meant to say it did NOT work in 9.0.0dp9 which is on par with 8.2.0.dp1.
>
> I know Android doesn't have the same support for barcode reading as iOS,
> so I'd be fine just getting iPad functionality with this. I manually added
> mergAV (still don't understand why this wouldn't be found automatically),
> but the cards in my stack are unresponsive trying to trigger
> mergZXingControlCreate which I'm sure the external knows nothing about
> (it's syntax doesn't have anything about barcodes @
> http://mergext.com/home/mergav/ ). Guessing that I'm not calling the
> correct functions at this point.
>
> The LC release notes say this was being deprecated because the ZXing
> project wasn't supported on iOS, but it seems to function fine on my iOS 11
> test device (when built from LC 9.0.0dp8). It looks like the project is
> being ported over to Obj-C using a slightly different name @
> https://github.com/TheLevelUp/ZXingObjC which discusses Xcode 9 and has
> commits as recent as a week ago.
>
> If the library needs to be pulled from LC, then it seems like there should
> be a little more explanation as to how to proceed with the workaround than
> the release notes mention.
>
> --Andrew Bell
>

> Which platform are you going for?  mergav is for ios and osx.  You can't
>> use "search for", you have to include it manually.
>> it works fine for me in my apps.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just got around to building a new version of an existing project and
>>> discovered my barcode scanner didn't work. Quick check of the release
>>> notes
>>> for 8.2.0dp1 stated that mergZXing was being deprecated and to use
>>> mergAVCam instead.
>>>
>>> I can't find mergAVCam (assume mergAV is the inclusion, but this wasn't
>>> selected by "Search for required inclusions...") or any syntax that will
>>> support barcodes now. Tried 8.2.0dp1 and 9.0.0dp7. I'm also using the
>>> Spinner widget so I get a "can't find module" error when trying with
>>> 8.1.7.rc2.
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide a basic code sample for how this should work now?
>>>
>>> --Andrew Bell

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Guess I didn't scroll down far enough on
http://mergext.com/home/mergav/ to see the barcode syntax. THank you
for the suggestion.

I wentlooking on MergEXT and the various Livecode
tutorial/lesson/stack-sharing sites for a MergAV sample stack. The
closest I found was a thread on this forum from a year ago where
someone else was having this same conversation (including trying to
find the sample stack) and all the sudden they found it without saying
where and everything was good.

Finally I remembered reading somewhere that sample stacks were
included with the extensions if you dug into the app itself (Show
Package Contents on Mac). Found the sample stack... holy crap, MergAV
is WAY faster and more accurate than MergZXing was with barcodes (and
the blue line on-screen is a nice addition).

It seems like these sample stacks shouldn't be hidden like treasure. I
assumed clicking "Sample Stacks", or "Tutorials", or "Resources", or
even "Dictionary" inside of Livecode would have a reference or entry
for the sample stack.

--Andrew Bell

> There are barcode calls in mergav.  There is also a sample stack that
> demonstrates how to use it for scanning barcodes.  All the MergAV calls are
> documented in the dictionary.
> I believe the other reason why zx was deprecated was because av is faster
> and more accurate - at least it would appear to be for me.

Re: mergZXing alternative

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Regarding sample stacks, this is a good suggestion - I'm in the process of
tweaking how 'extensions' work in the IDE, but ultimately I'd like for
things like mergExt externals to show up in an externals tab of the
extension manager. I think that would be a good place to be able to launch
sample stacks from (most widgets and libraries should probably have sample
stacks too). Your suggestion of making them accessible from the dictionary
is also a good one, I will look into adding that too.