mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi folks, I'm following this tutorial

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio

and i've installed android 8.0 SDK as specified ....

 the distribution chart says that only 6% of devices have this version of
android.

Does this mean only 6% of devices will be able to correctly install my
application?

?????????????

--
Tom Glod
Founder & Developer

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
"The Spiritual Workout" app was created in LiveCode...and I'm running it on
Android 7.0 phones .... and it works fine. And as far as I can tell that is
a recently built app.

Sooo...what must I do to have my app run on older versions of android (and
iOS I guess)???

So confused.....

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Choose Android 4.1.2 in the build settings then it will probably be 99% of all devices. But 6% is very low. Did you also provide an apk for armv8, arm64? If i'm correct the x86 are not of interest anymore, it was a short wave of intel mobile processors, correct me if i'm wrong.

Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> schreef op 28 december 2019 04:09:16 CET:

>"The Spiritual Workout" app was created in LiveCode...and I'm running
>it on
>Android 7.0 phones .... and it works fine. And as far as I can tell
>that is
>a recently built app.
>
>Sooo...what must I do to have my app run on older versions of android
>(and
>iOS I guess)???
>
>So confused.....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.

A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from 4.x on
up to 10.

The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone settings.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 27, 2019 8:37:23 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks, I'm following this tutorial
>
> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio
>
> and i've installed android 8.0 SDK as specified ....
>
> the distribution chart says that only 6% of devices have this version of
> android.
>
> Does this mean only 6% of devices will be able to correctly install my
> application?
>
> ?????????????
>
> --
> Tom Glod
> Founder & Developer
> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> Office:226-706-9339
> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I'm so relieved. Thank you.

It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part of it
anywhere.

Full speed ahead. (ish)

I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems like
I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator.  And using
an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.

But at least there are no permanent obstacles.

:) Thanks again.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
> create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
> Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
> apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.
>
> A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
> version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
> building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from 4.x
> on
> up to 10.
>
> The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone settings.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On December 27, 2019 8:37:23 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks, I'm following this tutorial
> >
> > http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio
> >
> > and i've installed android 8.0 SDK as specified ....
> >
> > the distribution chart says that only 6% of devices have this version of
> > android.
> >
> > Does this mean only 6% of devices will be able to correctly install my
> > application?
> >
> > ?????????????
> >
> > --
> > Tom Glod
> > Founder & Developer
> > MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> > Office:226-706-9339
> > Mobile:226-706-9793

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
That error depends on what version of LC you use.

Use LC 9.5.1 and it can build for ARMv8-ARM64-X86 and x86-64, then lc
will build the correct one to the emultaor ones you press the test
button in LC ide.

But for uploading to the Google play store ARMv8 and ARM64 will be
sufficient

Op 28-12-2019 om 19:12 schreef Tom Glod via use-livecode:

> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
>
> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part of it
> anywhere.
>
> Full speed ahead. (ish)
>
> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems like
> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator.  And using
> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
>
> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
>
> :) Thanks again.
>
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
>> create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
>> Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
>> apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.
>>
>> A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
>> version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
>> building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from 4.x
>> on
>> up to 10.
>>
>> The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone settings.
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On December 27, 2019 8:37:23 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, I'm following this tutorial
>>>
>>> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio
>>>
>>> and i've installed android 8.0 SDK as specified ....
>>>
>>> the distribution chart says that only 6% of devices have this version of
>>> android.
>>>
>>> Does this mean only 6% of devices will be able to correctly install my
>>> application?
>>>
>>> ?????????????
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Glod
>>> Founder & Developer
>>> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
>>> Office:226-706-9339
>>> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86 builds.
There are only one or two models that support it and those are very old.
The current user base is a fraction of one percent according to some
charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was dropped some
years ago.

One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we wanted to
support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with 32-bit Android apps
and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks anyway.

If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
>
> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part of it
> anywhere.
>
> Full speed ahead. (ish)
>
> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems like
> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator.  And using
> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
>
> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
>
> :) Thanks again.
>
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
>> create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
>> Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
>> apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.
>>
>> A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
>> version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
>> building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from 4.x
>> on
>> up to 10.
>>
>> The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone settings.
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On December 27, 2019 8:37:23 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi folks, I'm following this tutorial
>> >
>> > http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio
>> >
>> > and i've installed android 8.0 SDK as specified ....
>> >
>> > the distribution chart says that only 6% of devices have this version of
>> > android.
>> >
>> > Does this mean only 6% of devices will be able to correctly install my
>> > application?
>> >
>> > ?????????????
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tom Glod
>> > Founder & Developer
>> > MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
>> > Office:226-706-9339
>> > Mobile:226-706-9793

> Tom Glod
> Founder & Developer
> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> Office:226-706-9339
> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
aaaahhhhhh .... I get it......yes...I've been using 9.05 Indy to make the
builds.

Lots has been cleared up today thanks to all of you.

*Bows Head*

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 2:49 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86 builds.
> There are only one or two models that support it and those are very old.
> The current user base is a fraction of one percent according to some
> charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was dropped
> some
> years ago.
>
> One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we wanted to
> support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with 32-bit Android apps
> and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks anyway.
>
> If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm so relieved. Thank you.
> >
> > It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part of
> it
> > anywhere.
> >
> > Full speed ahead. (ish)
> >
> > I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems
> like
> > I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator.  And using
> > an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
> >
> > But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
> >
> > :) Thanks again.
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
> >> create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
> >> Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
> >> apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.
> >>
> >> A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
> >> version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
> >> building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from 4.x
> >> on
> >> up to 10.
> >>
> >> The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone settings.
> >> --
> >> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> >> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio

> of

> > --
> > Tom Glod
> > Founder & Developer
> > MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> > Office:226-706-9339
> > Mobile:226-706-9793

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
So in fact the only great thing now for x86 and x86-64 is the high speed
emulator.

Makes it strange right, there are almost no x86 or x86-64 real phones,
but in Android Studio you see as of Android 8 and up only x86 system
images and no ARM at all.

I don't get it, where is the logic behind this.

Op 28-12-2019 om 20:48 schreef J. Landman Gay via use-livecode:

> Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86
> builds. There are only one or two models that support it and those are
> very old. The current user base is a fraction of one percent according
> to some charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was
> dropped some years ago.
>
> One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we
> wanted to support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with
> 32-bit Android apps and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks anyway.
>
> If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
>>
>> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part
>> of it
>> anywhere.
>>
>> Full speed ahead. (ish)
>>
>> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems
>> like
>> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator. And using
>> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
>>
>> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
>>
>> :) Thanks again.
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> LC uses the SDK primarily for its build tools, which allow the IDE to
>>> create standalones for Android. The SDK does not affect the versions of
>>> Android your app will require. For years we built apks using SDK 6, and
>>> apps built using those tools still run on Android 10 today.
>>>
>>> A while back the SDK 6 build tools no longer worked with the current
>>> version of LC and we had to update to SDK 8 for compatibility. I am
>>> building apks with that SDK that run on all versions of Android from
>>> 4.x
>>> on
>>> up to 10.
>>>
>>> The Android versions you want to support are set in standalone
>>> settings.
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

>>> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/985962-livecode-and-android-studio

>>> version of

>>> install my

>> Tom Glod
>> Founder & Developer
>> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
>> Office:226-706-9339
>> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
This is also a nice read: with some X86 System images you can use ARM to
test,
https://androidstudio.googleblog.com/2019/09/android-p-x86-system-images-google-play.html

Op 28-12-2019 om 23:03 schreef JJS via use-livecode:

> So in fact the only great thing now for x86 and x86-64 is the high
> speed emulator.
>
> Makes it strange right, there are almost no x86 or x86-64 real phones,
> but in Android Studio you see as of Android 8 and up only x86 system
> images and no ARM at all.
>

> I don't get it, where is the logic behind this.
>

> Op 28-12-2019 om 20:48 schreef J. Landman Gay via use-livecode:
>> Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86
>> builds. There are only one or two models that support it and those
>> are very old. The current user base is a fraction of one percent
>> according to some charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices
>> apparently was dropped some years ago.
>>
>> One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we
>> wanted to support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with
>> 32-bit Android apps and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks
>> anyway.
>>
>> If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.
>>
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
>>>
>>> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part
>>> of it
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Full speed ahead. (ish)
>>>
>>> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it
>>> seems like
>>> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator. And
>>> using
>>> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
>>>
>>> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
>>>
>>> :) Thanks again.

>>> --
>>> Tom Glod
>>> Founder & Developer
>>> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
>>> Office:226-706-9339
>>> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I remember Panos mentioning that one of the primary reasons for including
X86 was so we could use the faster emulator. I know I stopped using the
emulator years ago because it was too slow to be useful.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 28, 2019 4:05:11 PM JJS via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So in fact the only great thing now for x86 and x86-64 is the high speed
> emulator.
>
> Makes it strange right, there are almost no x86 or x86-64 real phones,
> but in Android Studio you see as of Android 8 and up only x86 system
> images and no ARM at all.
>

> I don't get it, where is the logic behind this.
>

> Op 28-12-2019 om 20:48 schreef J. Landman Gay via use-livecode:
>> Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86
>> builds. There are only one or two models that support it and those are
>> very old. The current user base is a fraction of one percent according
>> to some charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was
>> dropped some years ago.
>>
>> One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we
>> wanted to support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with
>> 32-bit Android apps and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks anyway.
>>
>> If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.
>>
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
>>>
>>> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part
>>> of it
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Full speed ahead. (ish)
>>>
>>> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems
>>> like
>>> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator. And using
>>> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
>>>
>>> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
>>>
>>> :) Thanks again.

>>> --
>>> Tom Glod
>>> Founder & Developer
>>> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
>>> Office:226-706-9339
>>> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Worth trying again I reckon - the Android Virtual Device Manager in Android Studio plays very nicely with LC now.

Terry...

    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > So in fact the only great thing now for x86 and x86-64 is the high speed
    > emulator.
    >
    > Makes it strange right, there are almost no x86 or x86-64 real phones,
    > but in Android Studio you see as of Android 8 and up only x86 system
    > images and no ARM at all.
    >
    >
    > I don't get it, where is the logic behind this.
    >
    >
    >
    > Op 28-12-2019 om 20:48 schreef J. Landman Gay via use-livecode:
    >> Actually after some research, I've decided not to bother with x86
    >> builds. There are only one or two models that support it and those are
    >> very old. The current user base is a fraction of one percent according
    >> to some charts. Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was
    >> dropped some years ago.
    >>
    >> One stackOverflow comment implied that x86 would be useful if we
    >> wanted to support Chromebooks, but those machines work well with
    >> 32-bit Android apps and LC doesn't officially support Chromebooks anyway.
    >>
    >> If anyone has other info, hopefully they'll chime in here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
    >> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
    >> On December 28, 2019 12:14:29 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
    >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm so relieved. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> It didn't make sense to me, but I saw no explanation about that part
    >>> of it
    >>> anywhere.
    >>>
    >>> Full speed ahead. (ish)
    >>>
    >>> I am struggling a bit getting it to work in the emulator.... it seems
    >>> like
    >>> I can only do ARM architecture on V7 or below in the emulator. And using
    >>> an X86 emulator gives me the "NO_MATCHING_ABM" error when I hit test.
    >>>
    >>> But at least there are no permanent obstacles.
    >>>
    >>> :) Thanks again.

    >>> --
    >>> Tom Glod
    >>> Founder & Developer
    >>> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
    >>> Office:226-706-9339
    >>> Mobile:226-706-9793

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hmmm.. I conclude from this thread (where I do not use the similutor) that for the Google Play store we only need to build

armv7   &   arm64

@J. Gay<mailto:[hidden email]>

right?

Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was dropped some
years ago.

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Yes you are right Sannyasin.

And on your desktop you can use the very fast x86 / x86-64 emulator
which you can use directly via the test button in the ide(of course
first load the emulator)

Op 29-12-2019 om 14:43 schreef Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode:

> Hmmm.. I conclude from this thread (where I do not use the similutor) that for the Google Play store we only need to build
>
> armv7   &   arm64
>
> @J. Gay<mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> right?
>
> Support for x86 chips on mobile devices apparently was dropped some
> years ago.

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I go straight to my Moto6 device. It so fast. For some reason my "gut" doesn’t  trust the emulators. In fact, I can never get to work on iOS, it always hangs, tell me I can't load etc. It would be a problem it if

a) loaded the emulator
b) failed the device.

Takes 6min 24sec to load to iPhone
Take 42 second to load to my Moto6

"used to be" back in early days of 2018. I could trust that

  1.  If it worked on the Moto6
  2.  it worked on iOS

Now Apple with new "bent on innovation" and coming up with update every couple of weeks… it a "crap shoot" to know whether one module (stack) or another maybe be failing on iOS, and since the remoteDebugger is not working, it takes a loooong time to debug. I put a hard "breakpoint" in the scripts, but the Script Editor never opens… to let me step through thru to find out what line is failing. (

Maybe when the IDE in ready for Catalina, this problem with be solved.

Brahmanathaswami

Yes you are right Sannyasin.

And on your desktop you can use the very fast x86 / x86-64 emulator
which you can use directly via the test button in the ide(of course
first load the emulator)

Re: mobile dev confusion

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Mostly i do to real device too. Because on emulator x86 / x86-64 i get
strange images with every LC app where graphics are in, like mirrored or
repeated buttons etcetera.

Don't know exactly why or where the fault comes from, maybe it is
something with accelerated rendering but have not figured out yet.

If i deploy a simple stack with a button and a field to the emultator
(all standard grey) then all looks ok.

So for that reason i can't really use the Android Emulator