mobile: pick image without importing?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Do we have a way to obtain a file path for an image on mobile?

I see mobilePickImage, but it insists on importing a copy of the image,
and what I'm really after is a reference to the image file.

Re: mobile: pick image without importing?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I’m not sure this is possible... due to the sandbox you can only see paths
of files in a restricted subset of the file system. You should be able to
roll your own for the places you can see from the app.

Thanks,
Brian
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:16 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do we have a way to obtain a file path for an image on mobile?
>
> I see mobilePickImage, but it insists on importing a copy of the image,
> and what I'm really after is a reference to the image file.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: mobile: pick image without importing?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> Do we have a way to obtain a file path for an image on mobile?
> I see mobilePickImage, but it insists on importing a copy of the
> image, and what I'm really after is a reference to the image file.

Why not set the defaultFolder and use "the files"?
Or use the files(<targetFolder>)?

On 1/24/18 2:53 PM, hh via use-livecode wrote:
>> Do we have a way to obtain a file path for an image on mobile?
>> I see mobilePickImage, but it insists on importing a copy of the
>> image, and what I'm really after is a reference to the image file.
>
> Why not set the defaultFolder and use "the files"?
> Or use the files(<targetFolder>)?

That's the usual way, but on mobile you can only access the files in
your app's sandbox. MobilePickImage allows the user to access external
images via the OS API but as far as I know it does not share file
locations with the calling app for security reasons.

Re: mobile: pick image without importing?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Of course sandboxed files only. Getting file locations (or listings) outside
of that is violating privacy. Who is interested in that?

On 1/24/18 4:27 PM, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Of course sandboxed files only. Getting file locations (or listings) outside
> of that is violating privacy. Who is interested in that?

:) I'm amazed how many people leave their security webcams unprotected.

Re: mobile: pick image without importing?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Oh crap! (looks frantically for a roll of masking tape)

Bob S

Brian Milby wrote:

 > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:16 AM Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Do we have a way to obtain a file path for an image on mobile?
 >>
 >> I see mobilePickImage, but it insists on importing a copy of the
 >> image, and what I'm really after is a reference to the image file.
 >
 > I’m not sure this is possible... due to the sandbox you can only see
 > paths of files in a restricted subset of the file system.

I figured as much, but it seems odd to allow file paths for audio and
video files, yet not for images.

(Then again, I can't say for sure mobilePickMedia works at all since it
only returns empty on Android in v9dp11).

hh wrote:

 > Of course sandboxed files only. Getting file locations (or listings)
 > outside of that is violating privacy. Who is interested in that?

App developers who ask the user's permission for access, just like we do
for audio and video files which (thankfully) can be referenced without
requiring a wasteful copy just to display.