mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
This is exceedingly weird. I can't get a mousemove handler to recognize if
the shiftkey is down (although I think this is true for all key
modifiers—Shiftkey down and OptionKey down for sure). The only way it
detects this state is if I click the mouse button while holding the
shiftkey down. Then it continues to return the correct state of the
shiftkey (including when the shiftkey is up), but after that can not detect
when it is down again without another mouseclick.

This is only the case under Windows. Under MacOS everything works fine.

Here's the simple test code:

*on* mousemove

   *if* the shiftkey is up *then*

      *put* the mouseloc && "Up"

   *else*

      *if* the shiftkey is down *then*

         *put* the mouseloc && "Down"

      *end* *if*

   *end* *if*

*end* mousemove

When the shiftkey is down, it isn't detected by this code unless the mouse
button is also clicked.

I'm running this under LiveCode Community 9.01 under Windows 7 via
Parallels Desktop on a Mac.

Why would this not work under Windows when it works perfectly under MacOS?
Any suggestions on how to get Livecode to recognize that the shiftkey is
down in a mousemove handler under Windows? Ideas and suggestions are
welcome.

Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

On 9/22/18 11:03 PM, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode wrote:
> This is exceedingly weird. I can't get a mousemove handler to recognize if
> the shiftkey is down (although I think this is true for all key
> modifiers—Shiftkey down and OptionKey down for sure). The only way it
> detects this state is if I click the mouse button while holding the
> shiftkey down.

You could see if the keysDown() function works instead.

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Sadly, both the keysDown() function as well as rawKeyDown, only return a
keycode for the shift key (and the option key) upon key UP. All the other
keys work on key down but these do not. Do you have any idea why?

Should I file a bug report on ShiftKey down? Were you able to verify this
bug from the test code I sent (I put it in the card handler of a stack)?

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:04 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/22/18 11:03 PM, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode wrote:
> > This is exceedingly weird. I can't get a mousemove handler to recognize
> if
> > the shiftkey is down (although I think this is true for all key
> > modifiers—Shiftkey down and OptionKey down for sure). The only way it
> > detects this state is if I click the mouse button while holding the
> > shiftkey down.
>
> You could see if the keysDown() function works instead.

Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I just did a quick test on Win10 and it works as it should. Tested with LC 9.0.1 stable.

Thanks,
Brian
On Sep 23, 2018, 5:20 PM -0500, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Sadly, both the keysDown() function as well as rawKeyDown, only return a
> keycode for the shift key (and the option key) upon key UP. All the other
> keys work on key down but these do not. Do you have any idea why?
>
> Should I file a bug report on ShiftKey down? Were you able to verify this
> bug from the test code I sent (I put it in the card handler of a stack)?
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:04 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 9/22/18 11:03 PM, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode wrote:
> > > This is exceedingly weird. I can't get a mousemove handler to recognize
> > if
> > > the shiftkey is down (although I think this is true for all key
> > > modifiers—Shiftkey down and OptionKey down for sure). The only way it
> > > detects this state is if I click the mouse button while holding the
> > > shiftkey down.
> >
> > You could see if the keysDown() function works instead.
> >
> > --
> > Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> > HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

> Regards,
>
> Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Thanks Brian,

I don't know what the problem could be. All my test show that for the Shift
key and the Option key, when called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't
register that the keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.
I'm running Windows 7 instead of 10, but I doubt that's the difference.
It's possible that Parallels, might be interfering somehow, but it's a
pretty specific issue. You ran my little test script and got the "Up"
output by just pressing the shift key down and nothing else?

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 3:37 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just did a quick test on Win10 and it works as it should. Tested with LC
> 9.0.1 stable.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Sep 23, 2018, 5:20 PM -0500, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:
> > Sadly, both the keysDown() function as well as rawKeyDown, only return a
> > keycode for the shift key (and the option key) upon key UP. All the other
> > keys work on key down but these do not. Do you have any idea why?
> >
> > Should I file a bug report on ShiftKey down? Were you able to verify this
> > bug from the test code I sent (I put it in the card handler of a stack)?
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:04 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> recognize
> > > if
> > >
> > > You could see if the keysDown() function works instead.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> > > HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Howard Bornstein

Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Correct, but I did have to move the mouse (since it was inside the
mousemove handler).  So if I stopped moving and pressed/released the shift,
when I moved the mouse it did change to "down" / "up" as appropriate.  It
could be related to the VM.  I don't have a Win7 VM, so I can't test that
OS right now.  I did the test on an actual Win10 laptop.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:02 PM Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Brian,
>
> I don't know what the problem could be. All my test show that for the Shift
> key and the Option key, when called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't
> register that the keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.
> I'm running Windows 7 instead of 10, but I doubt that's the difference.
> It's possible that Parallels, might be interfering somehow, but it's a
> pretty specific issue. You ran my little test script and got the "Up"
> output by just pressing the shift key down and nothing else?
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 3:37 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I just did a quick test on Win10 and it works as it should. Tested with
> LC
> > 9.0.1 stable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> > On Sep 23, 2018, 5:20 PM -0500, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]>, wrote:
> > > Sadly, both the keysDown() function as well as rawKeyDown, only return
> > > keycode for the shift key (and the option key) upon key UP. All the
> other
> > > keys work on key down but these do not. Do you have any idea why?
> > >
> > > Should I file a bug report on ShiftKey down? Were you able to verify
> this
> > > bug from the test code I sent (I put it in the card handler of a
> stack)?

> > recognize
> it

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Howard Bornstein

> Regards,
>
> Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode

Howard:

 > All my test show that for the Shift key and the Option key, when
 > called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't register that the
 > keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.

Hi Howard, I tested your code verbatim in the card script of a new stack
in LC 901 on native Windows 10 with a real PC laptop, Dell Intel i5.

It works fine here. I also noticed that since "shiftkey" only has two
states, you don't really need to test it twice; you could cut out the
second "if" statement. In fact, this yields similar results:

on mousemove x,y
  put x,y && the shiftkey
end mousemove

So, despite the very significant issues that LC 9 has on real Windows,
including a barely-usable script editor, it seems likely that this is
not one of them. That's good news! But obviously you do have a problem.

Have you tested your code in a brand new empty stack in a fresh and
unmodded instance of LC, no extra plugins or scripts running? If so, if
it's just Parallels, I have to say that virtual Windows isn't quite the
same. Well, I guess an Intel Mac sporting a GUI that contradicts much of
Apple's original research isn't quite the same either; I'm a big
original Mac guy! :) But some details are different. That's why I always
use real Mac and real Windows.

But if you get different results with a fresh stack and LC, if there is
something else going on and you would like me to test your actual stack
(on native Windows) or help solve your problem, feel free to contact me
off-list. Interesting.

(Meanwhile, hope we can get improvements for some of the real Windows
problems that LC has. It's difficult to type in the LC 901 script editor
on Windows - that is a pretty huge issue. I have a WordLib update coming
out in a few days, pending final tests, and it never hurts to have a
fully usable version of the latest LC IDE on both platforms!)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"
LiveCode Training and Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howard:
>
>  > All my test show that for the Shift key and the Option key, when
>  > called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't register that the
>  > keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.
>
> Hi Howard, I tested your code verbatim in the card script of a new stack
> in LC 901 on native Windows 10 with a real PC laptop, Dell Intel i5.
>
> It works fine here.

Thanks for testing this out.

> I also noticed that since "shiftkey" only has two
> states, you don't really need to test it twice; you could cut out the
> second "if" statement. In fact, this yields similar results:
>
> on mousemove x,y
>   put x,y && the shiftkey
> end mousemove

Lol. Yeah, I wasn't trying for elegance. I was making sure the code and
results were absolutely clear.

> So, despite the very significant issues that LC 9 has on real Windows,
> including a barely-usable script editor, it seems likely that this is
> not one of them. That's good news! But obviously you do have a problem.
>
> Have you tested your code in a brand new empty stack in a fresh and
> unmodded instance of LC, no extra plugins or scripts running? If so, if
> it's just Parallels, I have to say that virtual Windows isn't quite the
> same. Well, I guess an Intel Mac sporting a GUI that contradicts much of
> Apple's original research isn't quite the same either; I'm a big
> original Mac guy! :) But some details are different. That's why I always
> use real Mac and real Windows.

I have friend with a real Windows machine that will test the code of the
app where I applied this technique so, hopefully I'll be able to see if it
works on a real PC and if the problem is Parallels. I'm a Mac guy too and
only use Windows to test apps built for both platforms.

> But if you get different results with a fresh stack and LC, if there is
> something else going on and you would like me to test your actual stack
> (on native Windows) or help solve your problem, feel free to contact me
> off-list. Interesting.

Thanks. I'll let you know what my friend turns up.

> (Meanwhile, hope we can get improvements for some of the real Windows
> problems that LC has. It's difficult to type in the LC 901 script editor
> on Windows - that is a pretty huge issue. I have a WordLib update coming
> out in a few days, pending final tests, and it never hurts to have a
> fully usable version of the latest LC IDE on both platforms!)

I did work a little bit in the script editor under Windows and didn't
notice the awful problems you've been reporting, but again, it was just
some tweaks and code changes. I don't do most of my scripting under
Windows. I hope this gets fixed.

> Best wishes,
>
> Curry Kenworthy
>
> Custom Software Development
> "Better Methods, Better Results"
> LiveCode Training and Consulting
> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I just wanted to mention that the problem detecting the shift-key being
down seems to be entirely an issue with Parallels. My test, running under
Windows 10 on a real PC had no trouble with my code that was looking for
the shift-key being down. I'm glad to see this problem wasn't within
LiveCode. There are so many layers where something can go wrong, it can be
a challenge identifying exactly where the problem is happening. It must be
a pretty specific issue with Parallels that only manifests by ignoring the
shift key.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM Howard Bornstein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> out in a few days, pending final tests, and it never hurts to have a
>> fully usable version of the latest LC IDE on both platforms!)
>>

> I did work a little bit in the script editor under Windows and didn't
> notice the awful problems you've been reporting, but again, it was just
> some tweaks and code changes. I don't do most of my scripting under
> Windows. I hope this gets fixed.
>

>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Curry Kenworthy
>>
>> Custom Software Development
>> "Better Methods, Better Results"
>> LiveCode Training and Consulting
>> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

> Regards,
>
> Howard Bornstein
> -----------------------
> www.designeq.com

Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Does the same thing happen with VMware?

not that I have any plans to develop anything in Windows.
--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 8:16 PM Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> > I did work a little bit in the script editor under Windows and didn't
> > notice the awful problems you've been reporting, but again, it was just
> > some tweaks and code changes. I don't do most of my scripting under
> > Windows. I hope this gets fixed.
> >

> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Curry Kenworthy
> >>
> >> Custom Software Development
> >> "Better Methods, Better Results"
> >> LiveCode Training and Consulting
> >> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Howard Bornstein
> > -----------------------
> > www.designeq.com
> >

> --
> Regards,
>
> Howard Bornstein

Re: mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

I'm only using Parallels, so I don't know the answer to that.

VMWare is about $70 I think.

there's a free trial
<https://store.vmware.com/store?Action=html&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vmware&pbPage=Fusion-FusionPro-LandingPage&cid=70134000001YWs5&src=ps_5ba283a1931cc&kw=vmware%20for%20mac&mt=e&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=GS_eBiz_Lead_AMS_US_EN_BR_E_Fusion&k_clickid=25b2255b-0a99-49e4-8991-913e41bdcb07&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi8fdBRCVARIsAEkDvnKZb-Ni4sT_8QFKPjVn48uFf5h7QXP42HLydgQviD18SpuRq0znejgaArl6EALw_wcB>

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org