my message not showing up in "use-livecode"

my message not showing up in "use-livecode"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
This has happened a few times before... the following message never got posted to " [hidden email]".  Can you explain why?  It must have gone somewhere because Giovanni Cannizzaro [[hidden email]] responded but I certainly can see how *he* saw it but no one else apparently did.

unposted message:

I am having an issue with using "any" business version of 9 (9.04, 9.05, 9.5-32bit, 9.5-64bit) to generate a standalone output of my application.  I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and have tried building the identical script (with the same result) on two different installations of said OS on two different machines.

LC business v 8.1.10 generates the standalone fine.

LC business version 9.0.5 (with IDENTICAL settings in the "Standalone Application Settings" as used in the v8.1.10 build) seems to crash LC  just at the point of "closing open stacks" at which point all things LC disappear from my desktop.  An appropriate "destination" directory for the standalone is created as per the settings but it is completely empty.

The actual application runs fine in all LC business versions... it's just that I can't get the LC v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is wrong!!

Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".

I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for other than potential issues with the standalone builder.

I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.

Cheers!
Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Re: my message not showing up in "use-livecode"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I saw the message here.

Bob S

> On Nov 1, 2019, at 08:12 , Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This has happened a few times before... the following message never got posted to " [hidden email]".  Can you explain why?  It must have gone somewhere because Giovanni Cannizzaro [[hidden email]] responded but I certainly can see how *he* saw it but no one else apparently did.
>
> unposted message:

Re: my message not showing up in "use-livecode"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
This sounds like it might be due to the breaking change in standalone building described in the release notes for 9.0:

https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_0.pdf <https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_0.pdf>

I quote:

The standalone builder has always needed to close the stacks it builds for reasons pretty deeply ingrained in the code. However this causes a few problems, for example:

values in script locals become empty
behaviors are broken when the parent script is on / in a stack which closes

As an attempt to improve this situation, the code that locks messages when closing and opening stacks for standalone builds has been removed. This means that where previously mainstacks would not receive openStack and closeStack messages during standalone build, they now do. If this causes problems for your stack, you can exit from the handler if standalone building is in progress:

on closeStack
if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0
then exit closeStack
end if
end closeStack

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

> On 1 Nov 2019, at 15:12, Douglas Ruisaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This has happened a few times before... the following message never got posted to " [hidden email]".  Can you explain why?  It must have gone somewhere because Giovanni Cannizzaro [[hidden email]] responded but I certainly can see how *he* saw it but no one else apparently did.
>
> unposted message:
>
> I am having an issue with using "any" business version of 9 (9.04, 9.05, 9.5-32bit, 9.5-64bit) to generate a standalone output of my application.  I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and have tried building the identical script (with the same result) on two different installations of said OS on two different machines.
>
> LC business v 8.1.10 generates the standalone fine.
>
> LC business version 9.0.5 (with IDENTICAL settings in the "Standalone Application Settings" as used in the v8.1.10 build) seems to crash LC  just at the point of "closing open stacks" at which point all things LC disappear from my desktop.  An appropriate "destination" directory for the standalone is created as per the settings but it is completely empty.
>
> The actual application runs fine in all LC business versions... it's just that I can't get the LC v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is wrong!!
>
> Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
>
> I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
>
> I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.
>
> Cheers!
> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Re: my message not showing up in "use-livecode"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
me too

Panos