names of saved files

Jon-3
I want users to be able to create/save a file.  The save dialog comes
up, and they can only see *.INI files (I'm using a filter).  If they
type "FRED", I want the saved file to be "FRED.INI".  I can force the
".INI" at the end of the "FRED" after they enter "FRED", but then the
save dialog does not correctly detect that the file is "FRED.INI", so it
does not warn the user that they might over-write that file.  I can, of
course, do this manually, but most development environments provide for
a "default extension", which is appended to "FRED" automatically.

All of this is handled correctly with other development systems.  What
am I missing here?

:)

Jon

Re: names of saved files

Ken Ray
On 6/13/05 10:30 AM, "Jon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want users to be able to create/save a file.  The save dialog comes
> up, and they can only see *.INI files (I'm using a filter).  If they
> type "FRED", I want the saved file to be "FRED.INI".  I can force the
> ".INI" at the end of the "FRED" after they enter "FRED", but then the
> save dialog does not correctly detect that the file is "FRED.INI", so it
> does not warn the user that they might over-write that file.  I can, of
> course, do this manually, but most development environments provide for
> a "default extension", which is appended to "FRED" automatically.
>
> All of this is handled correctly with other development systems.  What
> am I missing here?

Nothing - I'd log that as a bug in Bugzilla...

I've had to handle it separately, bringing up my own "File already exists"
dialog after they've closed the save dialog and then bring it back up again
if they don't want to replace.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/