news about the new Google Play policy

At Google I/O they have one building which is called Office Hours, and in there you can queue up and get to ask Google team members any questions you have. Most teams are represented, with an hour for each session.

One of the teams there wasn’t even on the schedule, but I had been pointed to them by someone else. The mystery team was the Google Play Policy team. So I went and asked some questions.

It’s down to chance who you will get, but I happened to get the person is the manager of the team that does app reviews and rejections, so certainly the right person to speak to!

I asked about whether downloaded images would be allowed under the new policy, he thought that would be no problem, as its static data. Without naming the tool, I described how a LiveCode app might download new scripts, and how it wasn’t compiled code, but it just wasn’t JavaScript. He seemed think that would be ok.

I also asked if it would be possible for LiveCode to get in touch to explain to someone on his team what the nature of LiveCode apps is, in the hope that the review team would have LiveCode on a list somewhere, as being a tool that would be allowed to download scripts after the app was already in the store.

So, if anyone at LiveCode would be interest in getting in touch with Google, to give a rough explanation about how scripts might be used, I have the main man’s email address. It may well be that he would put you touch with the right person on his team, rather than handle it on his own.

Let me know what you think.

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

Colin, you are an incredibly handy person to know. :) What a stroke of
luck that you were there exactly when the new policy changes were released.

Thank you.

On 05/18/2017 07:46 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Colin, you are an incredibly handy person to know. :) What a stroke of
> luck that you were there exactly when the new policy changes were released.

Hmmm. Coincidence? I think not.
Colin seems to be a magnet for these things.
He's like a lightning rod - you can feel the electricity crackle, and
then Zap! there's just the person you need to talk with or Zap! there's
an unannounced product release or Zap! there's the singularity...

On 2017-05-19 04:39, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> Let me know what you think.

All I'd really like is a more well-defined policy - that's all that's
needed here I think. After all, if one is going to use terms in a policy
then it seems wise that those terms be explicitly defined.

What Google is trying to do is 100% clear - it is also very easy to
state
in a completely unambiguous way. e.g.

"Apps submitted to the Google Play Store must not download any files
which allow the app to access more Android APIs which it could at the
point it was submitted to the Google Play Store."

This covers all possible cases as far as I can see - and covers cases
which their current policy does not (as worded, at least).

If you can get an email of someone to whom I can 'whinge' at, then I'll
do some suitable 'whinging' ;)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

I will reply to the manager guy and give him your email address. Not even sure what your title is, but I’ll say you’re CTO, Americans know what one of those is! If he let’s me know who it is that will be in touch I’ll give you a heads up.

> On May 19, 2017, at 1:10 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-19 04:39, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> All I'd really like is a more well-defined policy - that's all that's
> needed here I think. After all, if one is going to use terms in a policy
> then it seems wise that those terms be explicitly defined.
>
> What Google is trying to do is 100% clear - it is also very easy to state
> in a completely unambiguous way. e.g.
>
> "Apps submitted to the Google Play Store must not download any files
> which allow the app to access more Android APIs which it could at the
> point it was submitted to the Google Play Store."
>
> This covers all possible cases as far as I can see - and covers cases
> which their current policy does not (as worded, at least).
>
> If you can get an email of someone to whom I can 'whinge' at, then I'll
> do some suitable 'whinging' ;)
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

I think there may be an opportunity here to make Google aware of LiveCode
and its capabilities. Who knows, they may take an interest.

On 5/18/17 10:56 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 05/18/2017 07:46 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> Colin, you are an incredibly handy person to know. :) What a stroke of
>> luck that you were there exactly when the new policy changes were
>> released.
>
> Hmmm. Coincidence? I think not.
> Colin seems to be a magnet for these things.
> He's like a lightning rod - you can feel the electricity crackle, and
> then Zap! there's just the person you need to talk with or Zap! there's
> an unannounced product release or Zap! there's the singularity...

So *that's* why he won the game-writing contest at the LC con a few
years ago. I knew it had to be something.

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

I asked one of the Google Play developer support team if there was someone at Google whose job it is to be familiar with non-Google development tools. He didn’t know who that would be, but he asked about which tool I meant. Pointed him towards the LiveCode site, and he said he would check it out.

I had already had lunch with him and a colleague, and beat him at pool too, so we were on friendly terms. I think he really will check it out.

On 5/19/17 4:00 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> I asked one of the Google Play developer support team if there was
> someone at Google whose job it is to be familiar with non-Google
> development tools. He didn’t know who that would be, but he asked
> about which tool I meant. Pointed him towards the LiveCode site, and
> he said he would check it out.
>
> I had already had lunch with him and a colleague, and beat him at
> pool too, so we were on friendly terms. I think he really will check
> it out.

You go, Colin! But you should have let him win.

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

> Am 19.05.2017 um 23:47 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 5/19/17 4:00 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
>> I asked one of the Google Play developer support team if there was
>> someone at Google whose job it is to be familiar with non-Google
>> development tools. He didn’t know who that would be, but he asked
>> about which tool I meant. Pointed him towards the LiveCode site, and
>> he said he would check it out.
>>
>> I had already had lunch with him and a colleague, and beat him at
>> pool too, so we were on friendly terms. I think he really will check
>> it out.
>
> You go, Colin!
> But you should have let him win.

That was my first thought, too. ;)

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: news about the new Google Play policy

" I will indeed talk to the team behind developing the policies update around dynamic code loading and surface the livecode environment. I do not believe that the intent here is to prevent their model, but we will absolutely explore whats going on with that framework to figure out a path forward."

On 2017-05-22 14:09, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> I did get follow up messages from the Google policy guy. Here’s what he
> said:
>
> " I will indeed talk to the team behind developing the policies update
> around dynamic code loading and surface the livecode environment. I do
> not believe that the intent here is to prevent their model, but we
> will absolutely explore whats going on with that framework to figure
> out a path forward."

Great - I'm more than happy to discuss this with them as pertains to
LiveCode.

If LCB FFI is not used, then everything is fine. If it is used, then
it does open the door to being able to download non-native executable
(LCB VM) code to be downloaded and extend the API access of an app.