not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi All,

Lagi Pittas wrote:
> That's why I said the Function part would be good -
> basically a LIVE interactive debugger - the coding
> to do all the rest in a REAL programming language
> rather than an animation studio or a testbed is way
> out of my league - But given time and money anything
> is possible...

Does exists a programming tool that provides the developer
with a complete (but optional) battery of tests that run while
opening the application or on user request after the application
is opened?

For many years, we have seen in this mail list (and previous
mail list) how developers are completely baffled by applications
that run fine in most computers, but fail consistently in a very
few machines. Check the archives. You will find many instances
of this scenario. How it is that possible at all?

In theory, a program that do not find the resources needed
should NOT run at all, but for some reason, programs produced
in this platform try their best to work in any computer, even
without confirming that it could run.

Should we ask that LiveCode refuse to run if any machine
does not comply at 100% with requisites? No...
I think that we need better error reporting capabilities
and a complete (but optional) battery of tests to run on devices
that do not run our programs as expected.

Could I suggest a name for this battery test?
The name could be something like: "common ground"

In the 90's, Common Ground was a digital paper pioneer
company that competed (and lose) against Adobe Acrobat.
Still today, you could find common ground digital papers
on the web:
http://www2.ucsc.edu/mlrg/mlrgtools.html
(Windows  and PPC Mac digital paper readers)
http://www2.ucsc.edu/mlrg/proc3abstracts.html
(Common Ground digital papers)

Have a nice week!

Al

Re: not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

Alejandro Tejada wrote:
 > Does exists a programming tool that provides the developer
 > with a complete (but optional) battery of tests that run while
 > opening the application or on user request after the application
 > is opened?

I've found logging useful.  Turn on the messageMessages and write all
messageHandled messages to a file with the executionContexts - verbose,
but when information is lacking better to have too much than too little.

RE: not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>For many years, we have seen in this mail list (and previous mail list) how
developers are completely baffled by applications that run fine in most
computers, but fail >consistently in a very few machines. Check the
archives. You will find many instances of this scenario. How it is that
possible at all?

This is possible because all current consumer OSs have the same problems
outlined in the article.

I don't usually pontificate on this list but...
<rant>As humans we constantly overreach without thinking. As Jeff Goldblum
said in Jurassic Park said "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether
they could they didn't stop to think if they should."
This is the story with all consumer OSs. Just because these rudimentary OSs
in the 90s could somewhat be a tool for the average Joe no one stopped to
think if they should. We have allowed PC OSs/mobile devices and most
pointedly the Internet to become the lynch-pins of modern society, also
because of the "Jeff Goldblum" theorem. Look at Puerto Rico if want proof.
Just because they could build cell towers in PR... As Claude Rains said in
Casablanca "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling in going on in here"
A cat 4 hit PR in 1932 and when I heard that 1,360 out of 1,600 of PR's
Cells towers were either damaged or blown over by cat 4 Irma and folks were
panicking with no internet/access to credit card processing and the FakeBook
I said to myself "I'm shocked that a cat 4 hit PR". I feel sorry for the
human suffering and the government let this happen but I'm not surprised.
Wait till a CME(Carrington event 1859) or EMP(rocket man) wipes out the
electrical grid and internet for a billion or so people for a year... I'll
be sitting with my gravity fed water well water and rifle across my lap
saying "I'm shocked that...."</rant>

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services