occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
Quite a few times recently whilst developing on Windows (windows 7 x64) and using various incarnations of LiveCode (LC 6.6, 6.6.1(rc1), LC 6.7 (dp1) I'm getting an occasional 'runaway' behaviour.

Occasionally, on one particular stack (holding quite a few controls to make up it's GUI) if I'm editing a group with the inspector open on the 'Size & Position' tab - if I click the up or down arrows on the left, top, right, or bottom scrolling list fields, followed within a second or so by another click on the same arrow - I get a 'runaway' of the control continuing to move in the same direction at about 1 pixel/point per second.

I'm not seeing it on LC 6.5 or 6.5.1 (or on OSX)

I don't really want to file a bug about this because I can't reproduce it - is anyone else seeing this?

Kind regards

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

mwieder
Dave-

Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 10:05:49 AM, you wrote:

> I don't really want to file a bug about this because I can't reproduce it -
> is anyone else seeing this?

Occassionally. Nothing reproducible, of course. But I would see this
on earlier LC incarnations as well.

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
hmm - in that case it must be something I've recently been doing more of that is encouraging runaway conditions. Have been seeing it more often on my local Win7 machine as well as a remote Windows server I remote into...
Peter M. Brigham

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Dave,

One reason why this may happen is the Geometry manager.

Another reason is the margins of the group. If the margins are set to 0
and you're using the GM or have a resizing script somewhere, the
controls often tend to "walk".

Also, if you're using rect, top, left, bottom, right and other location
properties in your script, these properties may change, triggering a
resizing handler again, which eventually makes the control walk. You can
avoid this by putting all location properties into variables before
setting any position, e.g.

put the topleft of grp "This Group" into myTL
set the topleft of btn 1 to (item 1 of myTL + 5),(item 2 of myTL + 5)
-- etc.

If you give a little more info about what you're doing exactly, we might
solve this problem.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Installer Maker for LiveCode:
http://qery.us/468

http://qery.us/3fi

LiveCode on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/runrev/

On 4/1/2014 19:05, Dave Kilroy wrote:

> Quite a few times recently whilst developing on Windows (windows 7 x64) and
> using various incarnations of LiveCode (LC 6.6, 6.6.1(rc1), LC 6.7 (dp1) I'm
> getting an occasional 'runaway' behaviour.
>
> Occasionally, on one particular stack (holding quite a few controls to make
> up it's GUI) if I'm editing a group with the inspector open on the 'Size &
> Position' tab - if I click the up or down arrows on the left, top, right, or
> bottom scrolling list fields, followed within a second or so by another
> click on the same arrow - I get a 'runaway' of the control continuing to
> move in the same direction at about 1 pixel/point per second.
>
> I'm not seeing it on LC 6.5 or 6.5.1 (or on OSX)
>
> I don't really want to file a bug about this because I can't reproduce it -
> is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
Hi Mark

Well in one of the stacks the relevant controls (fields and graphics) are contained in a group with margins set to 0, which is itself contained in a group with margins set to 0 - but in the other stack the controls are not grouped.

I never mess the geometry manager and resize controls either in the GUI, message box or in code

Your idea about triggering resizing handlers (even in edit mode) is a good one and I think I'll try suppressing messages next time and see if this makes a difference - thanks :)
Peter M. Brigham

Using google maps

Wprothero
Has anybody implemented Google Maps or Google Earth? I notice the mergeMK external looks like it has some nice features. I'd be interested in anybody's experience and particularly if the mergeMK external is expected to work with livecode 7.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Apr 2, 2014, at 12:45 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hmm - in that case it must be something I've recently been doing more of that
> is encouraging runaway conditions. Have been seeing it more often on my
> local Win7 machine as well as a remote Windows server I remote into...
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Http://es.earthednet.org

RE: Using google maps

John Dixon
Google maps work with liveCode 7 on the desktop and on mobile... Monte Goulding's mergMK works on mobile.

> Has anybody implemented Google Maps or Google Earth? I notice the mergeMK external looks like it has some nice features. I'd be interested in anybody's experience and particularly if the mergeMK external is expected to work with livecode 7.
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

tbodine
Yes, I get that too on Win7. But I have not been able to narrow it down to anything reproducible.

Another similar "runaway" scenario that may be related: in the script editor with a lengthy script, if I want to select a block of lines, sometimes the click-drag downward will also continue scrolling/highlighting after I have released the mouse. When this happens, there is not interrupting it... the scroll continues to the bottom of the script. It feels very much like the arrow-click problem with the position controls in the inspector.

-- Tom Bodine

Re: Using google maps

Wprothero
John,
It looks like I can run Google Earth in a browser window using JavaScript. Is that the best way to access it? I would prefer a solution that works on both mobile and desktop.
Bill
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
Hi Tom

Yes now that you mention it I also have seen your 'runaway selecting' in the script editor - I've learnt to use the pageup and pagedown keys if I have a lot to select - but it would be nice if I didn't have to ...
Peter M. Brigham

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
What a great mailing list :)

Just to report back that following on from Mark's suggestion I've tried again but this time with messages suppressed, and so far I've seen no runaways - thanks everyone!

Mark Schonewille-3 wrote
Also, if you're using rect, top, left, bottom, right and other location
properties in your script, these properties may change, triggering a
resizing handler again, which eventually makes the control walk.
Peter M. Brigham

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Bob Sneidar-2
Curious, why are all of Dave Kilroy’s emails threaded together, and everyone else’s replies to his posts in a completely separate thread? What are you using to post to the list Dave? Just curious.

Bob

On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:05 , Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quite a few times recently whilst developing on Windows (windows 7 x64) and
> using various incarnations of LiveCode (LC 6.6, 6.6.1(rc1), LC 6.7 (dp1) I'm
> getting an occasional 'runaway' behaviour.
>
> Occasionally, on one particular stack (holding quite a few controls to make
> up it's GUI) if I'm editing a group with the inspector open on the 'Size &
> Position' tab - if I click the up or down arrows on the left, top, right, or
> bottom scrolling list fields, followed within a second or so by another
> click on the same arrow - I get a 'runaway' of the control continuing to
> move in the same direction at about 1 pixel/point per second.
>
> I'm not seeing it on LC 6.5 or 6.5.1 (or on OSX)
>
> I don't really want to file a bug about this because I can't reproduce it -
> is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Dave Kilroy
Bob I usually post to the list from nabble rather than my email client

Bob Sneidar-2 wrote
Peter M. Brigham

Re: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

Bob Sneidar-2
I suspect that is what is doing this then. It’s invisible from your perspective, but I get a thread of all your replies and none of what others have posted. It’s like you are talking to your make believe friends! Very disconcerting. But then, have we any proof that these supposed “friends” of yours really do exist? Hmmm… food for thought… ;-)

Bob

Peter M. Brigham

RE: occasional runaway control - anyone else seeing this?

John Dixon
LOL... 'It's the voices... the voices in my head that made me do it'...:-)