odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I've got an odbc database that I'm trying to write to.  From a tool like
valentina it works fine, but in LC I'm getting "Information type out of
range" from the driver.
The line that fails is
insert into employee (empno) values (-1)

employee is defined as a double.  Again, that very same line in
valentina works.
I'm using LC 9.0

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Hmmm.  How about this:  The insert is actually succeeding, but I'm getting
the error.

select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0
insert into employee (empno) values (-1) -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC
Driver Manager] Information type out of range"
select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 1
delete from employee where empno = -1 -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC Driver
Manager] Information type out of range"
select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0

RE: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Mike,

What DB engine and odbc driver version are you using? Mac, Windows, Mobile?

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth On the second day,
God created the oceans.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Is empno an auto incrementing column?

Bob S

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 09:06 , Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've got an odbc database that I'm trying to write to.  From a tool like
> valentina it works fine, but in LC I'm getting "Information type out of
> range" from the driver.
> The line that fails is
> insert into employee (empno) values (-1)

Re: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I have no way to test it, but if you change your insert to..
insert into employee (empno) values (double(-1))

Does it make a difference?

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm.  How about this:  The insert is actually succeeding, but I'm getting
> the error.
>
> select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0
> insert into employee (empno) values (-1) -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC
> Driver Manager] Information type out of range"
> select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 1
> delete from employee where empno = -1 -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC Driver
> Manager] Information type out of range"
> select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0

Re: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
The bizarre parts are
a) No errors returned from Valentina
b) The operations succeed but I get an error, almost like LC is sending
something extra to the ODBC driver.

Ralph:
Windows, connecting to Marxmeier's SQL/R (which is connecting to eloquence,
a legacy mainframe environment for HP).

Bob
No

mike,
That gives me

revdberr,[Marxmeier][SQL/R ODBC Server]37000 - Unexpected symbol (#1)

syntax error near "("

Unexpected symbol or invalid SQL/R language statement.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 1:04 PM Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have no way to test it, but if you change your insert to..
> insert into employee (empno) values (double(-1))
>
> Does it make a difference?
>

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hmmm.  How about this:  The insert is actually succeeding, but I'm
> getting
> > the error.
> >
> > select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0
> > insert into employee (empno) values (-1) -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC
> > Driver Manager] Information type out of range"
> > select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 1
> > delete from employee where empno = -1 -> "revdberr,[Microsoft][ODBC
> Driver
> > Manager] Information type out of range"
> > select count (*) from employee where empno=-1 -> 0

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: odbc "information type out of range"

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Ah k. was hoping.