[off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hactoberfest is back live at GitHub - submit 5 pull requests in October and
maybe win a t-shirt.
There are a bunch of LC projects on github, so now's the time to make an
improvement to one of them and enter!

https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hactoberfest is back live at GitHub - submit 5 pull requests in October and
> maybe win a t-shirt.
> There are a bunch of LC projects on github, so now's the time to make an
> improvement to one of them and enter!

If anybody would like to contribute to the docs in order to get a t-shirt
take a look at "Contributing to LiveCode Documentation":

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop-9.0/docs/contributing_to_docs.md

I also created a screencast showing the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULN9aavFrrA

I will point out that I have already signed the necessary agreement to
submit changes to the LiveCode project and I had already forked the
LiveCode repo on GitHub.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hi Trevor, Excellent clear tutorial, thanks for this.

-----
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE  a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder.
http://www.pointandsee.co.uk  - made with LiveCode

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I've added another screencast that shows how to add a bug fix note to your
documentation Pull Request (PR). This is necessary if you are submitting a
PR that fixes a bug in the LiveCode Quality Control Center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nUsLp4F_c

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 4:19 PM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hactoberfest is back live at GitHub - submit 5 pull requests in October
>> and
>> maybe win a t-shirt.
>> There are a bunch of LC projects on github, so now's the time to make an
>> improvement to one of them and enter!
>>

> If anybody would like to contribute to the docs in order to get a t-shirt
> take a look at "Contributing to LiveCode Documentation":
>

> https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop-9.0/docs/contributing_to_docs.md
>
> I also created a screencast showing the process:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULN9aavFrrA
>
> I will point out that I have already signed the necessary agreement to
> submit changes to the LiveCode project and I had already forked the
> LiveCode repo on GitHub.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I was just about to add notes on adding the bugfix note from my experience as
a first time contributor, and then what! you've already made a video about
this.

Excellent.

It would be great if these videos could be linked in the contributors docs.

Just for your info .. it was as a direct result of seeing your first video
that I got involved in this

-----
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE  a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder.
http://www.pointandsee.co.uk  - made with LiveCode

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Something to remember, everyone, is even if you have no idea what you're
doing, you probably can still help.  Fixing something in docs is a great
way to start.
• There are a bunch of LC-related projects on GitHub.  You can do something
for ANY of them.  Me?  I've  been working on Trevor's Levure framework -
documentation, code, etc.  For me it was just a good excuse to attack some
of the issues in Levure that I've opened over the last year.
• It doesn't matter if the author accepts or rejects your PR.  You're
making a suggestion directly by proposing a change.  Do 5 of those in the
next 11 days.
• One line of code or one tweak to the documentation makes it better and
therefore counts.
• Sure, it's just a lousy t-shirt.  It's also like a month-long hackathon,
and it's a way to get into the groove of finding and fixing, and learn how
the whole open source/github process works.

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Yes, the docs are a great introduction way in for contributing to LiveCode
and for using GitHub.
I've learned a lot from the experience so far with some gentle but
instructive nudges from Panos.

Also for the bug fix note, you can also create one directly in GitHub, using
the 'Create new file' button. Just make sure that you are in the *correct
branch* on your *own fork of LiveCode*.

-----
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE  a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder.
http://www.pointandsee.co.uk  - made with LiveCode

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM AndyP via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was just about to add notes on adding the bugfix note from my experience
> as
> a first time contributor, and then what! you've already made a video about
> this.
>
> Excellent.
>
> It would be great if these videos could be linked in the contributors docs.
>
> Just for your info .. it was as a direct result of seeing your first video
> that I got involved in this

I'm glad to hear that Andy. I've seen a good number of documentation PRs
recently which is great.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something to remember, everyone, is even if you have no idea what you're
> doing, you probably can still help.  Fixing something in docs is a great
> way to start.
> • There are a bunch of LC-related projects on GitHub.  You can do something
> for ANY of them.  Me?  I've  been working on Trevor's Levure framework -
> documentation, code, etc.  For me it was just a good excuse to attack some
> of the issues in Levure that I've opened over the last year.

And these are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 5:26 AM AndyP via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also for the bug fix note, you can also create one directly in GitHub,
> using
> the 'Create new file' button. Just make sure that you are in the *correct
> branch* on your *own fork of LiveCode*.

I realized I didn't mention you could create a file right in the browser
that in the screencast after I recorded it. The video description on
YouTube has a note about that but I should probably make a new recording at
some point.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've added another screencast that shows how to add a bug fix note to your
> documentation Pull Request (PR). This is necessary if you are submitting a
> PR that fixes a bug in the LiveCode Quality Control Center.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nUsLp4F_c

The process is actually simpler than I describe in the above video. I've
taken that one down and I've added a better one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGhxZtzPkg

Thanks to Bernd for pointing out the link that takes you to the proper
branch in your fork of the LiveCode repo.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: [off]Hactoberfest

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
FIVE DAYS Y'ALL!  I got my five pull requests in, and just confirmed my
t-shirt.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I've added another screencast that shows how to add a bug fix note to
> your
> > documentation Pull Request (PR). This is necessary if you are submitting
> > PR that fixes a bug in the LiveCode Quality Control Center.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nUsLp4F_c
> >

> The process is actually simpler than I describe in the above video. I've
> taken that one down and I've added a better one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGhxZtzPkg
>
> Thanks to Bernd for pointing out the link that takes you to the proper
> branch in your fork of the LiveCode repo.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com