on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit is about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest I could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it would write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.

I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.

As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev I am thinking of using Amazon S3.

I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.

Has anyone done something like this?

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

David Bovill-5
Mark Smith made some S3 libraries - trying to get hold of him is a little
futile :) I'm not sure where you can find them online - but I can send a
copy off list - I've not used them - this is from the README:

s3.setSecure

----------

On 28 January 2011 15:05, Martin Koob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit
> is
> about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest I
> could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it would
> write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I
> tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.
>
> I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.
>
> As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev I
> am thinking of using Amazon S3.
>
> I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the
> server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
Hi David

I have those libraries.  They are on his on-rev site:

http://marksmith.on-rev.com/refstuff/index.html

I have tried using a few of the S3 functions from the AWS library in a stack such as list buckets etc to try and learn how to use them but I am not sure how I would include these in an on-rev site.   Could the different libraries be put into irev files and used as includes?

I only need a sub set of the S3 functions.  I want to use browser based uploads to S3 and creating timelimited authenticated URLS for the stored movies. It seems that mainly I need a way to construct and sign the requests with HMAC SHA1.

I am trying to figure out what commands from the libraries I would need to put in an include irev file to give the necessary functionality.

Martin

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Andre Garzia-3
Martin,

How big are those files? I am not one to tell other people about their
design or business, but uploading huge files over HTTP is not wise. When I
say huge, I am not saying 20 mb, I am saying stuff like 300 mb or things
like it. If you're uploading stuff the size of a CD or DVD, you might want
to explore other venues.

S3 should work, there are libraries for it as others have posted.

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
Hi Andre

The files would be about 100 MB movie files.

Are the libraries you are referring to the ones from Mark Smith which seem to be intended for stack use or are there ones that are more geared for on-rev.

I am looking at Mark Smiths libAWS and libS3 to try and put together a library for on-rev that would handle creating timed authenticated URLs and also browser based uploads.  Is there something that for on-rev exists already for these tasks?

Martin

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Andre Garzia-3
Martin,

right now there are no libraries for AWS usage for RevServer but I
suspect that if you simply copy the stackscript of Marks libraries to
a text file and use it with the require command, it might work, better
check with him.

:-D

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Martin Koob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andre
>
> The files would be about 100 MB movie files.
>

> Are the libraries you are referring to the ones from Mark Smith which seem
> to be intended for stack use or are there ones that are more geared for
> on-rev.
>
> I am looking at Mark Smiths libAWS and libS3 to try and put together a
> library for on-rev that would handle creating timed authenticated URLs and
> also browser based uploads.  Is there something that for on-rev exists
> already for these tasks?
>
> Martin

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
Hi Andre

I have tried to combine a suggested bit of code from you to do HMACSHA1 and some of the handlers from Marksmith's LibS3.  It generates a signature but it is not accepted by AmazonS#.   It gives the error:
"SignatureDoesNotMatchThe request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your key and signing method."

in a file called s3auth.irev i put the following
_______________________________________
##From Andre Garzia
function _oauthHMACSHA1 pContent, pPassword
   put tempname() into tFile
   put pContent into url ("binfile:" & tFile)
   put format("cat %s | openssl dgst -sha1 -hmac %s", tFile, pPassword) into tCMD
   get shell(tCMD)
   delete file tFile
   return it
end _oauthHMACSHA1

##adapted from Mark Smith's LibS3
## - I replaced  his hmacSha1.b64 handler to Andre Garzia's _oauthHMACSHA1 handler
##AWS_SK is the AWS secret key which is set earlier
function makeQauth pBucket, pObject, pExpiry
   put makeObject(pBucket, pObject) into tObject
   put "GET" & cr & cr & cr & pExpiry & cr & tObject into stringToSign
   return urlencode(_oauthHMACSHA1(stringToSign, AWS_SK))
end makeQauth

##from Mark Smith's LibS3
##AWS_AK is the AWS access key which is set earlier
function s3.timeLimitURL pBucket, pObject, pExpiry
  put "http://" & pBucket & ".s3.amazonaws.com/" & pObject & "?AWSAccessKeyId=" & AWS_AK into tUrl
  put "&Expires=" & pExpiry & "&Signature=" & makeQauth(pBucket, pObject, pExpiry) after tUrl
  return tUrl
end s3.timeLimitURL
____________________

in another file 's3getfile.irev' I include the 's3auth.irev' file and call the s.3timeLimitURL function
__________________________
put the seconds + (60 * 15) into tExpiry --15 minutes
put "myveryownbucket" into tBucket
put "myowntestmovie.m4v" into tObject
put s3.timeLimitURL(tBucket, tObject, tExpiry) into tFileURL
________________________

the tFileURL has all the elements it should have but the signature appears longer than the one generated by Mark Smith's sample S3 application.

Any ideas why the signature does not get generated correctly by the FrankenCode I have thrown together?

Thanks

Martin

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

François Chaplais-3
Have you tried Dropbox on local/cloud storage and syncing? They have a free 2 gig account and it is very, very convenient. It has Windows, Mac, Iphone, IPad (and Linux I believe), and it can also be used from an internet browser. It syncs local dropbox folders on your PC/device; you can also send http links for files in the public subfolder.
www.dropbox.com
Best,
        François
Le 28 janv. 2011 à 16:05, Martin Koob a écrit :

> I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit is
> about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest I
> could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it would
> write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I
> tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.
>
> I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.
>
> As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev I
> am thinking of using Amazon S3.
>
> I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the
> server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Stephen Barncard-4
I use dropbox for syncing my entire Livecode folder. Plugins, Remo settings,
etc.

2011/1/28 François Chaplais <[hidden email]>

> Have you tried Dropbox on local/cloud storage and syncing? They have a free
> 2 gig account and it is very, very convenient. It has Windows, Mac, Iphone,
> IPad (and Linux I believe), and it can also be used from an internet
> browser. It syncs local dropbox folders on your PC/device; you can also send
> http links for files in the public subfolder.
> www.dropbox.com
> Best,
>        François
> Le 28 janv. 2011 à 16:05, Martin Koob a écrit :
>

> > I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit
> is
> > about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest
> > could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it
> would
> > write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I
> > tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.
> >
> > I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.
> >
> > As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev
> > am thinking of using Amazon S3.
> >
> > I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the
> > server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.
> >
> > Has anyone done something like this?
> >
> > --

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
I just realized I forgot one function that is in the s3auth.irev file

##from Mark Smith's LibS3
function makeObject pBucket, pKey
   replace "/" with empty in pBucket
   put "/" & pBucket into tObject
   if pKey is not empty then
      if char 1 of pKey is not "/" then put "/" after tObject
      put pKey after tObject
   end if
   return tObject
end makeObject

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
I am looking at AmazonS3 because of the ability to have time limited authenticated URLs to specific files.  I was looking at the documentation for DropBox and it has shared folders but can it have links to individual files.  With AmazonS3 should be able to generate authenticated URLs on the fly using on-rev server.(haven't figured out how to do it correctly yet though.

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Peter Haworth-2
Another good one is box.net.  You get 5gigs free with them but there is a 25meg(?) limit on individual file size.

Pete Haworth
On Jan 28, 2011, at 1:28 PM, François Chaplais wrote:

> Have you tried Dropbox on local/cloud storage and syncing? They have a free 2 gig account and it is very, very convenient. It has Windows, Mac, Iphone, IPad (and Linux I believe), and it can also be used from an internet browser. It syncs local dropbox folders on your PC/device; you can also send http links for files in the public subfolder.
> www.dropbox.com
> Best,
> François
> Le 28 janv. 2011 à 16:05, Martin Koob a écrit :
>

>> I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit is
>> about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest I
>> could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it would
>> write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I
>> tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.
>>
>> I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.
>>
>> As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev I
>> am thinking of using Amazon S3.
>>
>> I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the
>> server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.
>>
>> Has anyone done something like this?

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
One other thing.

I noticed from the Amazon S3 docs about the signature of the request should be
"The URL encoding of the Base64 encoding of the HMAC-SHA1 of StringToSign."

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/index.html?RESTAuthentication.html

so instead of
return urlencode(_oauthHMACSHA1(stringToSign, AWS_SK))

I tried base64encoding the HMAC-SHA1 digest

return urlencode(base64encode(_oauthHMACSHA1(stringToSign, AWS_SK)))

That did not work.

I also tried encoding the stringtosign with UTF8 before the HMACSHA1 digest

return urlencode(base64encode(_oauthHMACSHA1(uniEncode(stringToSign,"UTF8"), AWS_SK)))

still no luck.

I think there are three possible sources of the error.
-my string to sign is wrong (I have checked with the docs and from my understanding it is correct.)
-my encoding is wrong(I am following the one that works with Mark Smith's Lib S3 Stack)
-the _oauthHMACSHA1 handler  (is this only for oAuth and does something different need to be done for S3?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

mwieder
Martin-

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
Hi Andre

I copied the stack script of Mark Smith's AWS libraries and with some tweaking to make them conform to how rev server works I got it to work to sign and Authenticated URL using HMACSHA1.

However I get the same result as when I use the Shell command, the signature does not match.

So It seems I was going at this from the wrong angle.

I think the stringtosign I am using is wrong.  Mark Smith's library is using the following as the string to sign.

GET\n
\n
\n

expiry\n
URI

I suspect that on-rev is sending a different set of headers than the string to sign so when Amazon compares the GET request and the string that was signed they don't match.

I tried to use libURLlastHTTPheaders() to see what headers are being sent but that does not work with on-rev.

Does anyone know what headers are sent?

Should I set my own headers to conform with what amazon is expecting with the on-rev header command?

Thanks.

Martin

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Peter Haworth-2
Hi Mark,
I've successfully linked to individual files in dropbox but I don;t know if it would work for someone who didn't have a dropbox account. I just opened the file from dropbox, copied the url, and pasted it in as a link on the web page I wanted to access the file from.

Pete Haworth

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Martin-
>
> Friday, January 28, 2011, 2:12:50 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I was looking at the documentation for DropBox and it has shared
>> folders but can it have links to individual files.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/help/16
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

mwieder
Pete-

Saturday, January 29, 2011, 9:17:44 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> I've successfully linked to individual files in dropbox but I
> don;t know if it would work for someone who didn't have a dropbox
> account. I just opened the file from dropbox, copied the url, and
> pasted it in as a link on the web page I wanted to access the file
> from.

I copy links from my Public folder and email them around. Works fine.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob
In case anyone is interested I was able to get the HMACSHA1 handlers from Mark Smith's Lib AWS to work on on-rev.   It was not working because I was putting an incorrect S3path in.

I was using the command s3.authenticatedUrl(tObject, tExpiry) from libAWS.

I had been using the function makeobject(tBucket, tKey) from the libAWS which returned '/thebucket/theobject' which I put into tObject.

When I just put  "thebucket/theobject" into tObject the S3.authenticatedUrl functioned correctly created a time limited S3 URL.

Martin