on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
edit bar cursor) when the tabKey is pressed?

~Roger

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

tbodine
One way...

if the focusedObject begins with "field" then
put the focusedObject into tActiveField
end if

Tom B.

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thank you, Tom!

On 4/26/17 3:58 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
> How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
> edit bar cursor) when the tabKey is pressed?

One way:

on openfield
   put the name of the target
end openfield

I'm not sure if you want to trap a message though. The selectedField
will return identification if you're querying from inside another handler.

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
When I tab to the next field, I want to select after the field content, or
in other words place the blinking bar at the end of whatever is already
there.  By default, it is placing it in front of the field content.

On Apr 26, 2017 6:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/26/17 3:58 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
>> edit bar cursor) when the tabKey is pressed?
>>

> One way:
>
> on openfield
>   put the name of the target
> end openfield
>
> I'm not sure if you want to trap a message though. The selectedField will
> return identification if you're querying from inside another handler.

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This seems to work:

on tabKey
   send "doSelect" to me in 1
   pass tabKey
end tabKey

on doSelect
   select after the selectedfield
end doSelect

On 4/26/17 7:21 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> When I tab to the next field, I want to select after the field content, or
> in other words place the blinking bar at the end of whatever is already
> there.  By default, it is placing it in front of the field content.
>
> On Apr 26, 2017 6:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/17 3:58 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
>>> edit bar cursor) when the tabKey is pressed?
>>>

>> One way:
>>
>> on openfield
>>   put the name of the target
>> end openfield
>>
>> I'm not sure if you want to trap a message though. The selectedField will
>> return identification if you're querying from inside another handler.

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Send to X in 1 <unit>?  Is the default a millisec?

On Apr 27, 2017 1:29 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

This seems to work:

on tabKey
  send "doSelect" to me in 1
  pass tabKey
end tabKey

on doSelect
  select after the selectedfield
end doSelect

On 4/26/17 7:21 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> When I tab to the next field, I want to select after the field content, or
> in other words place the blinking bar at the end of whatever is already
> there.  By default, it is placing it in front of the field content.
>
> On Apr 26, 2017 6:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4/26/17 3:58 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
>>> edit bar cursor) when the tabKey is pressed?
>>>

>> One way:
>>
>> on openfield
>>   put the name of the target
>> end openfield
>>
>> I'm not sure if you want to trap a message though. The selectedField will
>> return identification if you're querying from inside another handler.

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
The default is a tick (1/60 second). You could add "millisecond" after
the 1 and that would probably be enough time. I get lazy with small time
units when it doesn't matter much and tend to omit extra typing.

On 4/27/17 3:10 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> Send to X in 1 <unit>?  Is the default a millisec?
>

> On Apr 27, 2017 1:29 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This seems to work:
>
> on tabKey
>   send "doSelect" to me in 1
>   pass tabKey
> end tabKey
>
> on doSelect
>   select after the selectedfield
> end doSelect
>

> On 4/26/17 7:21 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> When I tab to the next field, I want to select after the field content, or
>> in other words place the blinking bar at the end of whatever is already
>> there.  By default, it is placing it in front of the field content.
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2017 6:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/26/17 3:58 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I discover the name of the field which has received focus (blinking
>>>>

>>> One way:
>>>
>>> on openfield
>>>   put the name of the target
>>> end openfield
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if you want to trap a message though. The selectedField will
>>> return identification if you're querying from inside another handler.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: on tabKey - what field contains the blinking curser?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The default is a tick (1/60 second). You could add "millisecond" after the
> 1 and that would probably be enough time. I get lazy with small time units
> when it doesn't matter much and tend to omit extra typing.

I tend to start with "in 0" or -1, and only go to positive time if there is
an issue.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462