openstack 101

Mark Swindell-4
Ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb, but why doesn't my openstack handler
execute when my stack opens?  What am I not getting?  (I type
openstack into the messagebox after opening and all is well, but the
handler doesn't execute when opening my stack from scratch.)

Mark

Re: openstack 101

Nicolas Cueto
I hope someone more knowledgeable jumps in but...

Perhaps another stack is handling the "openStack"
message before it arrives to your targeted stack?

Or you might want to try "preOpenStack" instead.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: openstack 101

Mark Swindell-2
Nicolas,
Thanks, but I had no luck with preopenstack, either.  And the stack
is the main stack, there are no others in the project at this point.
Mark

On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> I hope someone more knowledgeable jumps in but...
>
> Perhaps another stack is handling the "openStack"
> message before it arrives to your targeted stack?
>
> Or you might want to try "preOpenStack" instead.
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto

Re: openstack 101

Sarah Reichelt
> Ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb, but why doesn't my openstack handler
> execute when my stack opens?  What am I not getting?  (I type
> openstack into the messagebox after opening and all is well, but
> the handler doesn't execute when opening my stack from scratch.)

I had the feeling that the open & preOpenStack handlers in the
mainStack were not always called if the stack was opened while using
the edit tool. They will work fine in your app, but you may want to
put in a secret keystroke or something that calls it after startup
while in the IDE.

HTH,
Sarah

Re: openstack 101

Chipp Walters
Mark,

Here's what I would do:

First, I would put an 'on OpenStack' handler in the first card script of
the stack.

then save it, close Rev, open Rev, choose the browse tool, and open your
stack. See if the debugger gets called. If not, then I would suspect
there's an openStack handler in a frontScript somewhere which isn't
getting passed.

I have a standalone 'shell' which I use. It consists of a small stack
with a single button named "Launch It" with the script:

on mouseUp
   if there is a file "config.txt" then
     put URL ("file:config.txt") into tStackPathToOpen
   else
     answer file "Choose a Stack to Open"
     if it is empty then exit to top
     put it into tStackPathToOpen
     put tStackPathToOpen into URL ("file:config.txt")
   end if
   go stack tStackPathToOpen
end mouseUp

Then there's this in the stack's *CARD* script:

on closeStack
   if the environment is not "development" then
     quit
   else
     close this stack
   end if
end closeStack

I make this into a standalone, and I can use it to 'test' outside the IDE.

best,

Chipp

Mark Swindell wrote:
> Ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb, but why doesn't my openstack handler
> execute when my stack opens?  What am I not getting?  (I type  openstack
> into the messagebox after opening and all is well, but the  handler
> doesn't execute when opening my stack from scratch.)

Re: openstack 101

Chipp Walters
oops, I accidently deleted the 'first part' ;-)

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Here's what I would do:
>
> First, I would put an 'on OpenStack' handler in the first card script of
> the stack.

on openStack
   breakpoint
   beep
end openStack

> then save it, close Rev, open Rev, choose the browse tool, and open your
> stack. See if the debugger gets called. If not, then I would suspect
> there's an openStack handler in a frontScript somewhere which isn't
> getting passed.

Re: openstack 101

Mark Swindell-2
Thanks for your help.  Also, thank  you Sarah and Nicolas.  It seems
odd though that the openstack handler isn't called automatically when
the new stack window first comes up, no matter where it is being
opened from.
Mark