ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I have used LiveCode (then MetaCard) to write content
in PDF templates, so I do not understand the requirement
that file should have no changes.

Al

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used LiveCode (then MetaCard) to write content
> in PDF templates, so I do not understand the requirement
> that file should have no changes.

The file I upload needs to be indistinguishable from the pdf the court
issues to fill in at any arbitrary density.

At the moment, I'm simply recreating by pasting into fields.  What *should* be
happening is placing fields over an eps made from the court's own pdf.

This particular form was the breaking point:
http://www.nvb.uscourts.gov/downloads/mmm/forms/NVB105-3_OrderDebtorsMtnReferraltoMMM.pdf

I have created paragraph by paragraph, but I now have a clerk insisting
that it be this exact pdf--so I have to go back to my original plan.  With
livecode, this *should* happen by turning it into page by page eps's,
putting each on a card, and laying fields over them, and then "printing" to
a pdf file.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of eps support, the only possible way is to
make png's, put the fields in front of those, delete the png when printing,
and then use shell tools (pdftk, pdfjar, pdftools, etc.)  to overlay each
page of my livecode output onto the form pdf.

This is fairly straightforward on unix (mac, linux).  However, I need to
insure that the third party software is installed, and for good measure,
support at least two ways of doing it.

Windows?  beats me.

iOS?  I'd be shocked if the tools are there.  I'd have to license the code.

android?  beats me again.

But all in all, I've lost "write once".

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Its likely I'm being dense here... but does the PDF viewer not meet your needs?

https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/pdf-viewer/ <https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/pdf-viewer/>

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 15:24, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have used LiveCode (then MetaCard) to write content
>> in PDF templates, so I do not understand the requirement
>> that file should have no changes.
>>

> The file I upload needs to be indistinguishable from the pdf the court
> issues to fill in at any arbitrary density.
>
> At the moment, I'm simply recreating by pasting into fields.  What *should* be
> happening is placing fields over an eps made from the court's own pdf.
>
> This particular form was the breaking point:
> http://www.nvb.uscourts.gov/downloads/mmm/forms/NVB105-3_OrderDebtorsMtnReferraltoMMM.pdf
>
> I have created paragraph by paragraph, but I now have a clerk insisting
> that it be this exact pdf--so I have to go back to my original plan.  With
> livecode, this *should* happen by turning it into page by page eps's,
> putting each on a card, and laying fields over them, and then "printing" to
> a pdf file.
>
> Unfortunately, due to the lack of eps support, the only possible way is to
> make png's, put the fields in front of those, delete the png when printing,
> and then use shell tools (pdftk, pdfjar, pdftools, etc.)  to overlay each
> page of my livecode output onto the form pdf.
>
> This is fairly straightforward on unix (mac, linux).  However, I need to
> insure that the third party software is installed, and for good measure,
> support at least two ways of doing it.
>
> Windows?  beats me.
>
> iOS?  I'd be shocked if the tools are there.  I'd have to license the code.
>
> android?  beats me again.
>
> But all in all, I've lost "write once".
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

RE: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I use Acrobat API and the JSO in VB to edit "original" PDFs. One can add
fields, add pull down lists w/java, edit existing fields, execute java in
the PDF, extract/change text, add/delete bookmarks and everything else you
can do(and more) in the Acrobat GUI.

On my to-do list is creating a LC external to gain LC access to Acrobat API
and the JSO in LC. The Acrobat structures are heavily typed so I don't know
how practical/possible this interface would be. It might require some LCB
glue? I don't know if the Acrobat API and JSO is available on platforms
other than Windows. If I had a LC Acrobat API/JSO external I would lose VB
fast.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used LiveCode (then MetaCard) to write content in PDF
> templates, so I do not understand the requirement that file should
> have no changes.

The file I upload needs to be indistinguishable from the pdf the court
issues to fill in at any arbitrary density.

At the moment, I'm simply recreating by pasting into fields.  What *should*
be happening is placing fields over an eps made from the court's own pdf.

This particular form was the breaking point:
http://www.nvb.uscourts.gov/downloads/mmm/forms/NVB105-3_OrderDebtorsMtnRefe
rraltoMMM.pdf

I have created paragraph by paragraph, but I now have a clerk insisting that
it be this exact pdf--so I have to go back to my original plan.  With
livecode, this *should* happen by turning it into page by page eps's,
putting each on a card, and laying fields over them, and then "printing" to
a pdf file.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of eps support, the only possible way is to
make png's, put the fields in front of those, delete the png when printing,
and then use shell tools (pdftk, pdfjar, pdftools, etc.)  to overlay each
page of my livecode output onto the form pdf.

This is fairly straightforward on unix (mac, linux).  However, I need to
insure that the third party software is installed, and for good measure,
support at least two ways of doing it.

Windows?  beats me.

iOS?  I'd be shocked if the tools are there.  I'd have to license the code.

android?  beats me again.

But all in all, I've lost "write once".

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Heather Laine via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its likely I'm being dense here... but does the PDF viewer not meet your
> needs?

No; it really isn't even in the same range.

What I absolutely need is to be able to use an eps (or an arbitrarily sized
png) as an inserted image in the same way as a jpg, gif, or png.

There might be one on a page, or there might be a few, and they would
display for the user on a regular card, with regular functionality of the
other objects on my card.

Then, when done, the page region of that card prints out as a pdf, the eps
and everything on top of it (as a practical matter, all are fields) print
out to my output pdf just like any other card.

The output part is easy.  While my Forth and PostScript are to rusty to
remember the right verbs, it would be something like:

put "begin image" & cr & file:"the_eps_to_include.eps" & cr & "end image" &
cr after thePDFoutputSoFar

As for on screen display, an eps should be far simpler than the containers
for video and so forth.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
By the way . . .

I have to send various PDF forms to my sons in the USA and Germany with
my signature on the original PDF.

I open the PDF in GIMP, add a layer to the relevant page, and overlay a
PNG of my signature
(I signed my name using my Wacom tablet into GIMP and extracted the pen
colours from the
white background to make a PNG image of my signature surrounded by
transparency), then export the
page as a PDF.

My sons then print out the PDFs with my signature on them where they are.

Of course this has nothing whatsoever to do with LiveCode.

Richmond.

On 3/3/17 5:24 pm, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have used LiveCode (then MetaCard) to write content
>> in PDF templates, so I do not understand the requirement
>> that file should have no changes.
>>
> The file I upload needs to be indistinguishable from the pdf the court
> issues to fill in at any arbitrary density.
>
> At the moment, I'm simply recreating by pasting into fields.  What *should* be
> happening is placing fields over an eps made from the court's own pdf.
>
> This particular form was the breaking point:
> http://www.nvb.uscourts.gov/downloads/mmm/forms/NVB105-3_OrderDebtorsMtnReferraltoMMM.pdf
>
> I have created paragraph by paragraph, but I now have a clerk insisting
> that it be this exact pdf--so I have to go back to my original plan.  With
> livecode, this *should* happen by turning it into page by page eps's,
> putting each on a card, and laying fields over them, and then "printing" to
> a pdf file.
>
> Unfortunately, due to the lack of eps support, the only possible way is to
> make png's, put the fields in front of those, delete the png when printing,
> and then use shell tools (pdftk, pdfjar, pdftools, etc.)  to overlay each
> page of my livecode output onto the form pdf.
>
> This is fairly straightforward on unix (mac, linux).  However, I need to
> insure that the third party software is installed, and for good measure,
> support at least two ways of doing it.
>
> Windows?  beats me.
>
> iOS?  I'd be shocked if the tools are there.  I'd have to license the code.
>
> android?  beats me again.
>
> But all in all, I've lost "write once".

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I think Dr Hawkins wants to enter data into the PDF documents rather
than either view them
or extract data from them.

Richmond.

On 3/3/17 7:59 pm, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Heather Laine via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Its likely I'm being dense here... but does the PDF viewer not meet your
>> needs?
>>
> No; it really isn't even in the same range.
>
> What I absolutely need is to be able to use an eps (or an arbitrarily sized
> png) as an inserted image in the same way as a jpg, gif, or png.

GIMP can be used to do all of this.

Richmond.

> There might be one on a page, or there might be a few, and they would
> display for the user on a regular card, with regular functionality of the
> other objects on my card.
>
> Then, when done, the page region of that card prints out as a pdf, the eps
> and everything on top of it (as a practical matter, all are fields) print
> out to my output pdf just like any other card.
>
> The output part is easy.  While my Forth and PostScript are to rusty to
> remember the right verbs, it would be something like:
>
> put "begin image" & cr & file:"the_eps_to_include.eps" & cr & "end image" &
> cr after thePDFoutputSoFar
>

> As for on screen display, an eps should be far simpler than the containers
> for video and so forth.

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I absolutely need is to be able to use an eps (or an arbitrarily sized
>> png) as an inserted image in the same way as a jpg, gif, or png.
>>

> GIMP can be used to do all of this.

Well, yes, but the whole point of this is for me to be able to ship a
program that generates filled forms (bankruptcy petitions, schedules, etc.).

Shipping a program to techno-illiterate customers that relies on livecode
calling gimp . . .

And I don't so much want to enter the data into the pdf documents as
expected by the documents, but put my own data on top of the existing pdf,
whether the author thought data belonged there or not . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As for on screen display, an eps should be far simpler than the containers
> for video and so forth.

Also, an eps is/should be the preferred format for a business's logo, for
the same scaling reasons.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
What's wrong with an SVG image?

Richmond.

On 3/3/17 9:27 pm, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As for on screen display, an eps should be far simpler than the containers
>> for video and so forth.
>>
> Also, an eps is/should be the preferred format for a business's logo, for
> the same scaling reasons.

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
So the XPDF viewer lets you grab the text from PDFs, the formattedRect
of any selected Text, and the page (or ant portion of the rendered page)
as an Image in addition to just viewing a PDF

I assume the issue that you view EPS as high resolution for the purposes
of printing the PDF form back out with your layered fields filled in.

You can grad what ever resolution of a PDF page you want with XPDF. You
set the scaling to say 400% and then get the page image and scale the
image to 25% and you have a image at normal size but at 4x screen
resolution. Want more resolution, set the PDF scale to 800% and fetch
the page image. Have a super high resolution printer - keep scaling!

It seems to me XPDF is capable of doing everything you need to do.

If the forms have labels for the fields, such as:

Name: [space on the pdf to type or write a name]

You can just enter a list of the text of the labels, search the PDF text
for the keywords/phases, get the formatedRect, and autocreate a
transparent field for the data offset to the right of the <right>
coordinate of the formatted rect.

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the XPDF viewer lets you grab the text from PDFs, the formattedRect
> of any selected Text, and the page (or ant portion of the rendered page)
> as an Image in addition to just viewing a PDF

I have *absolutely* no use for the text, unless I'm completely replacing
the pdf with fields.

I don't need a reproduction of the PDF in livecode; I already have tools
for that.  I need the pdf itself.

AFAIK, it is impossible to take text from a pdf of unknown creation source
(or possibly pieced together by different editors) and maintain the exact
spacing.  Just for openers, I find font sizes that were apparently, say,
6.2, or line heights of 12.2, or that it three lines were generated with
the Mxyzptlk font that some employee happened to have on his computer and
he thought would be nice for that part.

A clerk or secretary printing the government version and my version on
acetate sheets to see if they line up to the pixel is an actual concern I
have to face (yes, there are folks with that much time on their hands).  In
the early 90s, I dropped this project (then in SuperCard 1.5) when the
clerk at the time told me that we would have to be exact *to the pixel* of
the new scanners they had coming in (which, to this date, have not
happened).

> I assume the issue that you view EPS as high resolution for the purposes
> of printing the PDF form back out with your layered fields filled in.
>
> You can grad what ever resolution of a PDF page you want with XPDF. You
> set the scaling to say 400% and then get the page image and scale the
> image to 25% and you have a image at normal size but at 4x screen
> resolution. Want more resolution, set the PDF scale to 800% and fetch
> the page image. Have a super high resolution printer - keep scaling!

Except that I have a fairly tight size limits on uploaded files, and
arbitrarily large files will trample that fast on a 100 page pdf.

> It seems to me XPDF is capable of doing everything you need to do.
>
> If the forms have labels for the fields, such as:
>
> Name: [space on the pdf to type or write a name]
>
> Nope; don't need that at all.

My software generates rules on how the contents of each field depends on
others.  I need to be laying my own fields in software, with the names I
give them (you don't think the government would remain all that consistent
between documents, do you? :)  besides, they don't define most of the names
I need anyway).

What I need is to be able to use an eps or a pdf as a display object, and
to export a pdf with that object.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
err... are the forms already created? Or are you trying to create the forms from scratch programaticaly? If the former, I wrote an application that does just that. I first create a fillable form, then (for OS other than OS X) I create an FDF file using a simple one liner Javascript command and then add an Open File action that imports data from that fdf file. Otherwise (for OS X using Acrobat) I use Applescript to tell Javascript to fill the form.

The app is capable of importing any fillable PDF form, and then creating links between the fillable form controls, and SQL database table.columns. It can even use Livecode Expressions to fill the forms. Once the associations are made, I save the binary of the PDF form and the associations (as an array) in my SQL database. To recreate a form, I simply write the binary of the blank form out to any file system, then run a script to populate it. I use it every day to fill out service invoices, install forms, site surveys etc.

If however you are trying to create a PDF from scratch, I have great compassion for you. When researching if I would be able to write this app, I determined that if I had to go that route, I would not even begin. I think that elephant is much too big to eat. Even one byte at a time.

Contact me off list if you want to do a remote session so you can see what I am talking about.

Bob S

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 11:26 , Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, yes, but the whole point of this is for me to be able to ship a
> program that generates filled forms (bankruptcy petitions, schedules, etc.).

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
What is this XPDF viewer you speak of? Not showing up in the LC dictionary.

Bob S

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 13:29 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So the XPDF viewer lets you grab the text from PDFs, the formattedRect
> of any selected Text, and the page (or ant portion of the rendered page)
> as an Image in addition to just viewing a PDF

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Maybe I'm being dense here but

If You HAVE tom use the ACTUAL government PDF and be pixel perfect then how
can you be printing anything of any type out as a pdf
whether with eps or any changed fields - maybe I haen't read all the posts
but am I missing something?

Can you explain in 1 place without assuming anything in the least amount of
words what the workflow is what you want to input what you want to get out
and where does the eps fit into this - if you are suppose to use THE
mandated pdf.

I really want to understand the problem - other than government
bureaucracy/incomptence/stupidity - take your pick

Regards Lagi

Regards lagi

On 3 March 2017 at 22:20, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > If the forms have labels for the fields, such as:
> >
> > Name: [space on the pdf to type or write a name]
> >
> > Nope; don't need that at all.
>
> My software generates rules on how the contents of each field depends on
> others.  I need to be laying my own fields in software, with the names I
> give them (you don't think the government would remain all that consistent
> between documents, do you? :)  besides, they don't define most of the names
> I need anyway).
>
> What I need is to be able to use an eps or a pdf as a display object, and
> to export a pdf with that object.
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
> What is this XPDF viewer you speak of? Not showing up in the LC dictionary.

Available only with Business License and for a while it was missing from
the Dictionary, but you can find it in LC 8.1.3 or the latest 9.0 dp
builds. Just type XPDF into the search box for the Livecode script
dictionary. It is an external for accessing PDFs.

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> err... are the forms already created? Or are you trying to create the
> forms from scratch programaticaly? If the former, I wrote an application
> that does just that. I first create a fillable form, then (for OS other
> than OS X) I create an FDF file using a simple one liner Javascript command
> and then add an Open File action that imports data from that fdf file.
> Otherwise (for OS X using Acrobat) I use Applescript to tell Javascript to
> fill the form.

I've considered such an approach, but
1)  It shouldn't be that much work,
2)  it takes something external
3)  it takes different approaches on different platforms
4)  it means that I'm counting on something *after* my customer modifies
the supposed output to create the actual output.
5) Some of what I need to do generates the forms on the fly, with the same
block repeated with different information.  In some cases, I have a block
such as the entries on the second page at
http://www.uscourts.gov/file/18734/download .  The same page could repeat
thirty times or more with 3-10 entries per page, with each "block" on each
page linking to a separate SQL entry.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ouch: the beginning of the end

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is this XPDF viewer you speak of? Not showing up in the LC dictionary.

a unix pdf display program.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462