pause, rew and forwad an audio

Ban Nguyen
I use play and stop command to play and stop an audio.  What command do
I need to use to pause, rew and forwad an audio.  How do I control the
volume? Thank you for your help.

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Dan Shafer
Assuming you are using a QuickTime Player object to do this work, you
can use the following properties to control pause and loudness:

set the playLoudness of player "foo" to 0
set the paused of player "foo" to true (and false to un-pause)

However, Rev does not include any commands to place the playback head
where you want it. Trevor DeVore of Mango Multimedia, who hangs out
here, wrote an external for Rev to provide better interaction with QT
movies but a quick perusal of the version I have doesn't include
implementation of rewind or fast forward (i.e., frame-specific
positioning) as far as I can tell.

Dan

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:

> I use play and stop command to play and stop an audio.  What
> command do
> I need to use to pause, rew and forwad an audio.  How do I control the
> volume? Thank you for your help.

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Trevor DeVore
On Jul 11, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Assuming you are using a QuickTime Player object to do this work,
> you can use the following properties to control pause and loudness:
>
> set the playLoudness of player "foo" to 0
> set the paused of player "foo" to true (and false to un-pause)
>
> However, Rev does not include any commands to place the playback
> head where you want it. Trevor DeVore of Mango Multimedia, who
> hangs out here, wrote an external for Rev to provide better
> interaction with QT movies but a quick perusal of the version I
> have doesn't include implementation of rewind or fast forward
> (i.e., frame-specific positioning) as far as I can tell.

currentTime will set the playhead wherever you want.  Set the
playRate to any number below 1 to rewind, above 1 to fast forward.
For example, a playRate of 2 will fast forward at double the normal
speed of playback.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Dan Shafer
Trevor.....

Thanks for pointing those out. Searching the docs proves once again
to be less than useful.

But the docs at least imply that a playRate < 1 plays forward at
slower speed. Would a negative number then result in a rewind?

Dan

On Jul 11, 2005, at 7:23 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> Set the playRate to any number below 1 to rewind, above 1 to fast
> forward.  For example, a playRate of 2 will fast forward at double
> the normal speed of playback.

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Dan Shafer
Duh. Rather than ask, why don't you try it, Dan? Well, that's not a
bad idea.

Yep, a number < 0 for playRate rewinds at that rate, so -1 rewinds at
the frame rate of the movie, -2 rewinds at double speed, etc.

Cool.

On Jul 11, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Duh. Rather than ask, why don't you try it, Dan? Well, that's not a
> bad idea.
>
> Yep, a number < 0 for playRate rewinds at that rate, so -1 rewinds
> at the frame rate of the movie, -2 rewinds at double speed, etc.
>
> Cool.

Yeah, sorry about that.  Glad you figured out the correct settings.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
At 8:36 PM -0700 7/11/2005, Dan Shafer wrote:
>Thanks for pointing those out. Searching the docs proves once again
>to be less than useful.
>
>But the docs at least imply that a playRate < 1 plays forward at
>slower speed. Would a negative number then result in a rewind?

You could look at the useless docs for playRate and find: "A negative
playRate plays the movie or sound backward."

;-)
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [hidden email]
http://www.jaedworks.com

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Malte Brill
Just a sidenote:

If you need it to work on Win 98 setting the playrate to 0 seems to
unexpectedly quit rev (using version 2.2). Not tested on other windows
systems nor 2.5 or higher

Cheers,

Malte

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Jon-3
Here is a handler that "rewinds" a player 10 seconds when a button is
clicked.  Call this repeatedly and periodically and you would get some
sort of rewind effect

on mouseUp
  local t
  put the currentTime of player "myPlayer" into t
  subtract (10 * the timeScale of player "myPlayer") from t
  set the currentTime of player "myPlayer" to t
end mouseUp

:)

Jon

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Assuming you are using a QuickTime Player object to do this work, you
> can use the following properties to control pause and loudness:
>
> set the playLoudness of player "foo" to 0
> set the paused of player "foo" to true (and false to un-pause)
>
> However, Rev does not include any commands to place the playback head
> where you want it. Trevor DeVore of Mango Multimedia, who hangs out
> here, wrote an external for Rev to provide better interaction with QT
> movies but a quick perusal of the version I have doesn't include
> implementation of rewind or fast forward (i.e., frame-specific
> positioning) as far as I can tell.
>
> Dan
>
> On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:
>
>> I use play and stop command to play and stop an audio.  What  command do
>> I need to use to pause, rew and forwad an audio.  How do I control the
>> volume? Thank you for your help.

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Dan Shafer
Grrrr.

Well, first of all I didn't easily find playRate when I was searching
for info for my first response. I realize what I did; I did a Filter
on Objects for the word "player" rather than searching objects for
the word "player." Now, I've gotten into that habit because: (a)
searching is too slow; and (b) it brings up way more than I want to
know.

The old docs had a much more useful feature that somehow got left out
in the "upgrade" to the new design (which I do like in many ways). It
is still described in the present docs but no longer accurate:

  To see a list of messages that can be sent to a player as a result
of user actions or internal Revolution events, open the "Transcript
Language Dictionary" page of the main Documentation window, and
choose "Player Messages" from the Show menu at the top. To see a list
of all the properties a player can have, choose "Player Properties"
from the Show menu.

I miss that.

On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 8:36 PM -0700 7/11/2005, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> Thanks for pointing those out. Searching the docs proves once
>> again to be less than useful.
>>
>> But the docs at least imply that a playRate < 1 plays forward at
>> slower speed. Would a negative number then result in a rewind?
>>

> You could look at the useless docs for playRate and find: "A
> negative playRate plays the movie or sound backward."
>
> ;-)
> --
> jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [hidden email]
> http://www.jaedworks.com

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermedia.com/revolutionbooks.html

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Richard Gaskin
Dan Shafer wrote:
>  To see a list of messages that can be sent to a player as a result  of
> user actions or internal Revolution events, open the "Transcript
> Language Dictionary" page of the main Documentation window, and  choose
> "Player Messages" from the Show menu at the top. To see a list  of all
> the properties a player can have, choose "Player Properties"  from the
> Show menu.
>
> I miss that.

Your old friend need not be missed -- seems it's there, just in a
different location:

   Help->Objects->Player->Message

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: pause, rew and forwad an audio

Dan Shafer
OK, this is Dan with egg all over his face.

Thanks, Richard.

I hate to admit this but when I first got the new docs and poked
around a bit, I never took the time to see what the left pane would
expand to. Not me, the super user. No, sirree. I'll do a search and
filter and find everything i want in that hard-to-do-it macho way
that sort of matches some of my coding techniques.

Yeesh.

Lesson learned.

dan

Dan Shafer wrote:
 >> Dan Shafer wrote:
 >>
 >>>  To see a list of messages that can be sent to a player as a  result
 >>> of user actions or internal Revolution events, open the  "Transcript
 >>> Language Dictionary" page of the main Documentation  window, and
 >>> choose "Player Messages" from the Show menu at the  top. To see a
 >>> list  of all the properties a player can have,  choose "Player
 >>> Properties"  from the Show menu.
 >>> I miss that.
 >>>
 >>
 >> Your old friend need not be missed -- seems it's there, just in a
 >> different location:
 >>
 >>   Help->Objects->Player->Message
 >>
 > Thanks, Richard.
 >
 > I hate to admit this but when I first got the new docs and poked
 > around a bit, I never took the time to see what the left pane
 > would  expand to.
 > Not me, the super user. No, sirree. I'll do a search and  filter and
 > find everything i want in that hard-to-do-it macho way  that sort of
 > matches some of my coding techniques.
 >
 > Yeesh.
 >
 > Lesson learned.

I learned the same lesson:  Some time ago I posted a suggestion here
about this, and Jeanne showed me where to find it.

Sometimes it takes a second try to teach us ol' dogs a new trick, but at
least we learn in the end. :)

  Managing Editor, revJournal