pdftk issue solved

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
For those interested, I was having a problem creating an fdf file from a fillable pdf form, or even exporting the data using pdftk server. I think I figured out why! In order to create fillable pdf forms that can be filled by non-acrobat applications like Reader or Preview, they need to be saved in a special format. This format precludes even Acrobat from accessing those fillable fields, without first saving the form as a standard pdf. It's a catch 22. Make my forms universally accessible and lock myself out of them, or else make them so that only Acrobat can fill them. Thanks Adobe!

Bob S


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
"To be fair" (one of my least favourite phrases), Adobe did not go to
all the trouble of inventing the PDF thing for it to be portable; they
invented it as a way to make money. The fact that, at a later date,
Adobe made the PDF more accessible is super: but, a bit like Willy
Wonka, one must read the small print.

Richmond.

On 18.10.18 г. 18:00 ч., Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> For those interested, I was having a problem creating an fdf file from a fillable pdf form, or even exporting the data using pdftk server. I think I figured out why! In order to create fillable pdf forms that can be filled by non-acrobat applications like Reader or Preview, they need to be saved in a special format. This format precludes even Acrobat from accessing those fillable fields, without first saving the form as a standard pdf. It's a catch 22. Make my forms universally accessible and lock myself out of them, or else make them so that only Acrobat can fill them. Thanks Adobe!
>
> Bob S
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
To be even fairer, the "P" in "PDF" stands for "Portable". Had they not made them "P"ortable, they would not have made any "M"oney. :-)

Bob S


> On Oct 18, 2018, at 08:11 , Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "To be fair" (one of my least favourite phrases), Adobe did not go to all the trouble of inventing the PDF thing for it to be portable; they invented it as a way to make money. The fact that, at a later date, Adobe made the PDF more accessible is super: but, a bit like Willy Wonka, one must read the small print.
>
> Richmond.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Never mind. pdftk will not work with normal pdf files either. <sigh> Looks like this product is depricated.

Bob S


> On Oct 18, 2018, at 08:00 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For those interested, I was having a problem creating an fdf file from a fillable pdf form, or even exporting the data using pdftk server. I think I figured out why! In order to create fillable pdf forms that can be filled by non-acrobat applications like Reader or Preview, they need to be saved in a special format. This format precludes even Acrobat from accessing those fillable fields, without first saving the form as a standard pdf. It's a catch 22. Make my forms universally accessible and lock myself out of them, or else make them so that only Acrobat can fill them. Thanks Adobe!
>
> Bob S


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Bob,

isn´t Ghostscript able to do what you are want to accomplish?


Matthias Rebbe

free tools for Livecoders:
https://instamaker.dermattes.de
https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de

> Am 18.10.2018 um 18:04 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Never mind. pdftk will not work with normal pdf files either. <sigh> Looks like this product is depricated.
>
> Bob S
>
>
>> On Oct 18, 2018, at 08:00 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For those interested, I was having a problem creating an fdf file from a fillable pdf form, or even exporting the data using pdftk server. I think I figured out why! In order to create fillable pdf forms that can be filled by non-acrobat applications like Reader or Preview, they need to be saved in a special format. This format precludes even Acrobat from accessing those fillable fields, without first saving the form as a standard pdf. It's a catch 22. Make my forms universally accessible and lock myself out of them, or else make them so that only Acrobat can fill them. Thanks Adobe!
>>
>> Bob S
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I'll have a look see.

Bob S

> On Oct 18, 2018, at 10:17 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob,
>
> isn´t Ghostscript able to do what you are want to accomplish?
>
>
> Matthias Rebbe

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Looks like it's just for Windows and Linux. <sigh>

Bob S


> On Oct 18, 2018, at 10:17 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob,
>
> isn´t Ghostscript able to do what you are want to accomplish?
>
>
> Matthias Rebbe

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Looks like the link for pdftk on the pdflabs website has not been updated. The version available from this link works fine for me on Mojave.

https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/pdftk_server-2.02-mac_osx-10.11-setup.pkg

Mark
On Oct 18, 2018, 11:30 AM -0700, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Looks like it's just for Windows and Linux. <sigh>
>
> Bob S
>
>
> > On Oct 18, 2018, at 10:17 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Bob,
> >
> > isn´t Ghostscript able to do what you are want to accomplish?
> >
> >
> > Matthias Rebbe
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Here you should find the Mac OS X builds
https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/ <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/>


Matthias Rebbe

free tools for Livecoders:
https://instamaker.dermattes.de
https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de

> Am 18.10.2018 um 20:29 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Looks like it's just for Windows and Linux. <sigh>
>
> Bob S
>
>
>> On Oct 18, 2018, at 10:17 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> isn´t Ghostscript able to do what you are want to accomplish?
>>
>>
>> Matthias Rebbe
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdftk issue solved

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
OK I see now it expects full paths. I was using cd to change directories and thinking it would default to the local directory. It's curious that the output is appending line feeds or carriage returns (which Adobe Acrobat doesn't do) and some of the object names have spaces in between each letter in the name! I will play around with it to see if I can massage the data to clean it up, but I am getting output. Thanks!

Bob S


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode