play sound plays the wrong sound

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Any ideas on this?

I downloaded a beep in *.mp3 format.

When I play the file with windows media player it sounds like a beep.
When I play the file with the "play" command it sounds horribly distorted.

Re: play sound plays the wrong sound

tbodine
I believe the problem is the audio file settings. Open the file in an audio editor and save it again with bitrate of 16 and 44100 Hz.

HTH,
Tom B.

Re: play sound plays the wrong sound

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
@Matt I think the command "play <path_to_audio_file>" plays the file **as
an audioclip** on Desktop platforms. And audioclips can be in WAV, AIFF, or
AU format.

So I would suggest to use a player object to play the mp3 file

Best,
Panos
--

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM, tbodine via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe the problem is the audio file settings. Open the file in an audio
> editor and save it again with bitrate of 16 and 44100 Hz.
>
> HTH,
> Tom B.

Re: play sound plays the wrong sound

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I just found this note at BYU. Apparently "play" only works with
uncompressed file formats. I switched to the *.wav version and it works
http://livecode.byu.edu/audio/audioIntro.php

Why is this stuff not in the dictionary?

On 6 Jul 2017, at 15:45, Matt Maier via use-livecode wrote:

> Why is this stuff not in the dictionary?

Also, given the massive prevalence of MP3, it would be great if the
(apparent) limitation of the 'play' command was addressed. :/

Re: play sound plays the wrong sound

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Especially now the patent has lapsed

Regards Lagi

On 6 July 2017 at 16:14, Keith Martin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 15:45, Matt Maier via use-livecode wrote:
>
> Why is this stuff not in the dictionary?
>>

> Also, given the massive prevalence of MP3, it would be great if the
> (apparent) limitation of the 'play' command was addressed. :/

Re: play sound plays the wrong sound

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 9:14 AM, Keith Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 6 Jul 2017, at 15:45, Matt Maier via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Why is this stuff not in the dictionary?
>
> Also, given the massive prevalence of MP3, it would be great if the (apparent) limitation of the 'play' command was addressed. :/

I revised the entry for ‘play’ in the dictionary some weeks ago, but it was added to the 9.0 build, rather than the 8.x build, for some reason. So you’ll see the changes if you launch the dictionary in 9.x. The limitations as to which audio and video formats can be played are documented in the audioClip and videoClip dictionary entries. I included a note referencing that in the entry for play.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities