port registry

mwieder
hi-

David Bovill's post on the use-list today made me realize that we
should maybe have a registry for ip ports to avoid conflicts. I'm not
sure what a good way to do this might be, no doubt a web page
somewhere. I'm using port 44553 for PowerDebug communication. It's
the same port used by RealBasic for debugging, so I figured there
wouldn't be a conflict since nobody would be debugging both of those
environments at the same time. Has anybody else allocated ip ports for
special purposes?

--
-Mark

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: port registry

Richard Gaskin
On 1/16/11 9:45 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> hi-
>
> David Bovill's post on the use-list today made me realize that we
> should maybe have a registry for ip ports to avoid conflicts. I'm not
> sure what a good way to do this might be, no doubt a web page
> somewhere. I'm using port 44553 for PowerDebug communication. It's
> the same port used by RealBasic for debugging, so I figured there
> wouldn't be a conflict since nobody would be debugging both of those
> environments at the same time. Has anybody else allocated ip ports for
> special purposes?

Not yet, but I can envision doing so later this year.

Good move to set up a list here for that.

  Fourth World

Re: port registry

mwieder
Richard-

> On 1/16/11 9:45 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> hi-
>>
>> David Bovill's post on the use-list today made me realize that we
>> should maybe have a registry for ip ports to avoid conflicts. I'm not
>> sure what a good way to do this might be, no doubt a web page
>> somewhere. I'm using port 44553 for PowerDebug communication. It's
>> the same port used by RealBasic for debugging, so I figured there
>> wouldn't be a conflict since nobody would be debugging both of those
>> environments at the same time. Has anybody else allocated ip ports for
>> special purposes?

> Not yet, but I can envision doing so later this year.

> Good move to set up a list here for that.

I forgot that I'm also using 44554 for the backchannel. So that's two
for me:

44553 PowerDebug
44554 PowerDebug

--
-Mark

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: port registry

Richard Gaskin
I set up a new DB here named "Socket Port Numbers", and have added your two and one I use to that list.

Privileges for the DB allow anyone here to add and edit records, so feel free to update the list as needed.

- rg