post command example?

Devin Asay
I need to send some data to a php page on a web server, just a short
string like "abc2". I've read all I can find on the post command in
the documentation, but can't figure out how to format the data so the
php script will read it.

My stack:
contents of fld "uid": "abc2"
(I also tried [ name="netid" value="dna3" ] as the value of the
field. Sans the [].)

the post button script:
on mouseUp
   post urlencode(fld "uid") to url fld "urlText" -- also tried
without urlencode
   set the htmltext of fld "returnedText" to it
end mouseUp

The result returned makes it obvious that the php script executed,
but never received the value "abc2".

FWIW, the php script (one I wrote, that works when I hard code
everything) uses the $POST_[value name here] format to grab the data.
I am a neophyte in php land, but have used this method successfully
in the past to pass values from html forms.

There are no clear examples of how to do this in the docs, and the
list archive at http://lists.runrev.com seems to be offline at the
moment.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University

Re: post command example?

Martin Baxter
Devin Asay wrote:

> I need to send some data to a php page on a web server, just a short
> string like "abc2". I've read all I can find on the post command in  the
> documentation, but can't figure out how to format the data so the  php
> script will read it.
>
> My stack:
> contents of fld "uid": "abc2"
> (I also tried [ name="netid" value="dna3" ] as the value of the  field.
> Sans the [].)
>
> the post button script:
> on mouseUp
>   post urlencode(fld "uid") to url fld "urlText" -- also tried  without
> urlencode
>   set the htmltext of fld "returnedText" to it
> end mouseUp
>
> The result returned makes it obvious that the php script executed,  but
> never received the value "abc2".
>
> FWIW, the php script (one I wrote, that works when I hard code
> everything) uses the $POST_[value name here] format to grab the data.  I
> am a neophyte in php land, but have used this method successfully  in
> the past to pass values from html forms.
>
> There are no clear examples of how to do this in the docs, and the  list
> archive at http://lists.runrev.com seems to be offline at the  moment.
>
> Devin

Hi Devin,

Maybe the problem is that you need to use ampersand to delimit the name
value pairs rather than space.

Here is how I format the data

put "any old text." into msgtext
put urlencode(msgtext) into msgtext
put "username" into tuser
put "username=" & tuser & "&message=" & msgtext into data
## note no spaces and the use of ampersand to delimit the
## name value pairs
## tuser is known not to require urlencoding
put "http://domain/path/document.php" into phpurl
post data to url phpurl

HTH

Martin Baxter

Re: post command example?

Devin Asay
(Getting back to this after a week of vacation.)

On Jun 29, 2005, at 12:59 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> I need to send some data to a php page on a web server, just a
>> short  string like "abc2". I've read all I can find on the post
>> command in  the documentation, but can't figure out how to format
>> the data so the  php script will read it.
>> My stack:
>> contents of fld "uid": "abc2"
>> (I also tried [ name="netid" value="dna3" ] as the value of the
>> field. Sans the [].)
>> the post button script:
>> on mouseUp
>>   post urlencode(fld "uid") to url fld "urlText" -- also tried
>> without urlencode
>>   set the htmltext of fld "returnedText" to it
>> end mouseUp
>> The result returned makes it obvious that the php script
>> executed,  but never received the value "abc2".
>> FWIW, the php script (one I wrote, that works when I hard code
>> everything) uses the $POST_[value name here] format to grab the
>> data.  I am a neophyte in php land, but have used this method
>> successfully  in the past to pass values from html forms.
>> There are no clear examples of how to do this in the docs, and
>> the  list archive at http://lists.runrev.com seems to be offline
>> at the  moment.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>> Devin
>>

> Hi Devin,
>
> Maybe the problem is that you need to use ampersand to delimit the
> name value pairs rather than space.
>
> Here is how I format the data
>
> put "any old text." into msgtext
> put urlencode(msgtext) into msgtext
> put "username" into tuser
> put "username=" & tuser & "&message=" & msgtext into data
> ## note no spaces and the use of ampersand to delimit the
> ## name value pairs
> ## tuser is known not to require urlencoding
> put "http://domain/path/document.php" into phpurl
> post data to url phpurl

Thanks Martin. That did the trick!

Devin Asay