problem with mobileSetKeyboardType

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I have not been able to get the "mobileSetKeyboardType" command to work on
my android.  I have tried various options, such as:

on openField

if the environment is "mobile" then

mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"

end if

end openField

and

on mouseUp

if the environment is "mobile" then

mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"

Neither work.  All I get is the standard keyboard from the android.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

Re: problem with mobileSetKeyboardType

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Are those commands being executed before the keyboard is displayed?

Thanks,
Brian
On Nov 2, 2018, 4:49 PM -0500, Mike for GDC via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I have not been able to get the "mobileSetKeyboardType" command to work on
> my android. I have tried various options, such as:
>

> on openField
>
> if the environment is "mobile" then
>
> mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"
>
> end if
>
> end openField
>

> and
>

> on mouseUp
>
> if the environment is "mobile" then
>
> mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"
>
> end if
>
> end mouseUp
>

> Neither work. All I get is the standard keyboard from the android.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Re: problem with mobileSetKeyboardType

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I think that code is based off a documentation bug because "alphabet"
is not a listed parameter in the dictionary (even though it is the
first example shown after the listed parameters). I use:

The mobile keyboard won't activate unless a field has focus and the
"default" keyboard is already the alphabetic keyboard. What do you
mean by it's not working? What keyboard are you trying to see vs what
you are seeing?

--Andrew Bell

>    1. problem with mobileSetKeyboardType (Mike for GDC)

> From: "Mike for GDC" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: problem with mobileSetKeyboardType
>
> I have not been able to get the "mobileSetKeyboardType" command to work on
> my android.  I have tried various options, such as:
>

> on openField
> if the environment is "mobile" then
> mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"
> end if
> end openField
>

> and
>

> on mouseUp
> if the environment is "mobile" then
> mobileSetKeyboardType "alphabet"
> end if
> end mouseUp
>

> Neither work.  All I get is the standard keyboard from the android.
> Any suggestions?

Re: problem with mobileSetKeyboardType

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Mike

It’s not a good idea putting it into an openField handler as this is often as or after the keyboard has already opened. Setting it in the mouseDown will catch it earlier. Or setting transverse to false until a mouseDown/Up which first sets the keyboardType then sets its transverse to true and focus to it. (Set the transverse back to false on exitFocus).

Perhaps this is how the docs should be updated to accommodate this behaviour - as well as double checking the handling of ‘alphabet’.

Sean Cole
Pi Digital