put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi All,

I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:

Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.

Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.

The URL is valid, put it into a browser and you get a page.

Set the url of a browser widget and you get the page.

I’m wondering if I need to set httpHeaders to get this to return something, but have no idea what that might be.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you work around it?

TIA,

Steve MacLean

LC 9.0.1 RC1 Business

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
For me I have to include the protocol. So the “http://“ needs to be there to get any output.

Thanks,
Brian
On Aug 3, 2018, 12:08 PM -0500, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
>
> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
>
> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.
>
> The URL is valid, put it into a browser and you get a page.
>
> Set the url of a browser widget and you get the page.
>
> I’m wondering if I need to set httpHeaders to get this to return something, but have no idea what that might be.
>
> Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you work around it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve MacLean
>
> LC 9.0.1 RC1 Business

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply, but I’m confused… the protocol is there: https://

Thanks,

Steve

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 1:18 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For me I have to include the protocol. So the “http://“ needs to be there to get any output.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Aug 3, 2018, 12:08 PM -0500, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
>>
>> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
>>
>> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.
>>
>> The URL is valid, put it into a browser and you get a page.
>>
>> Set the url of a browser widget and you get the page.
>>
>> I’m wondering if I need to set httpHeaders to get this to return something, but have no idea what that might be.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you work around it?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Steve MacLean
>>
>> LC 9.0.1 RC1 Business

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
maybe the url is a redirect and your request is not following it.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks for the reply, but I’m confused… the protocol is there: https://
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> > On Aug 3, 2018, at 1:18 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For me I have to include the protocol. So the “http://“ needs to be
> there to get any output.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> > On Aug 3, 2018, 12:08 PM -0500, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
> >>
> >> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box
> returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
> >>
> >> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely
> nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.
> >>
> >> The URL is valid, put it into a browser and you get a page.
> >>
> >> Set the url of a browser widget and you get the page.
> >>
> >> I’m wondering if I need to set httpHeaders to get this to return
> something, but have no idea what that might be.
> >>
> >> Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you work around
> it?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >>
> >> Steve MacLean
> >>
> >> LC 9.0.1 RC1 Business

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
For what it’s worth:

Using the URLs of the other affiliated newspaper sites at the bottom of the Milford Mirror page also don’t return anything in the message box.

Peter

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> maybe the url is a redirect and your request is not following it.
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, but I’m confused… the protocol is there: https://
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 1:18 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For me I have to include the protocol. So the “http://“ needs to be
>> there to get any output.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian

>> returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.

>> nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.

>> something, but have no idea what that might be.

>> it?

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Thanks, I think that it is as Tom mentioned a re-direct. That site is built using wordpress, and that’s most of what WP does.

So that begs the question, how do I get the  put URL command to follow a redirect?

Thanks,

Steve

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For what it’s worth:
>
> Using the URLs of the other affiliated newspaper sites at the bottom of the Milford Mirror page also don’t return anything in the message box.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> maybe the url is a redirect and your request is not following it.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply, but I’m confused… the protocol is there: https://
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Steve

>>> there to get any output.

>>> returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.

>>> nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.

>>> something, but have no idea what that might be.

>>> it?

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
i should have mentioned in you original reply... check out
libURLFollowHttpRedirects in dictionary ... never had to use it but i
suppose thats what its for.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, I think that it is as Tom mentioned a re-direct. That site is
built using wordpress, and that’s most of what WP does.

> So that begs the question, how do I get the  put URL command to follow a
redirect?

> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> > On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > For what it’s worth:
> >
> > Using the URLs of the other affiliated newspaper sites at the bottom of
the Milford Mirror page also don’t return anything in the message box.

> > Peter
> >
> >> On Aug 3, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> maybe the url is a redirect and your request is not following it.

https://

around

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Thanks Tom, it defaults to true, but even setting it, still nothing returned :(

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> i should have mentioned in you original reply... check out
> libURLFollowHttpRedirects in dictionary ... never had to use it but i
> suppose thats what its for.
>

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I think that it is as Tom mentioned a re-direct. That site is
> built using wordpress, and that’s most of what WP does.
>>
>> So that begs the question, how do I get the  put URL command to follow a
> redirect?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For what it’s worth:
>>>
>>> Using the URLs of the other affiliated newspaper sites at the bottom of
> the Milford Mirror page also don’t return anything in the message box.
>>>
>>> Peter

> https://

> absolutely
> expect.

> around

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Ok, so dug a bit deeper into this using TSNet.

the result I’m getting back is:

tsneterr: (35) SSL peer handshake failed, the server most likely requires a client certificate to connect

So it looks like the connection itself is being rejected.

Some googling came across some of the same issues with CURL, which IRC, TSNet uses??

Adding tsNetVerifySSLPeer false to disable SSL peer verification doesn’t help either.

Doesn’t solve the problem either.

Help from Charles W or someone else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve MacLean

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Tom, it defaults to true, but even setting it, still nothing returned :(
>
>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i should have mentioned in you original reply... check out
>> libURLFollowHttpRedirects in dictionary ... never had to use it but i
>> suppose thats what its for.

>> absolutely
>> expect.

>> around

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Pretty strange as I do get a response from both http and https
On Aug 3, 2018, 2:13 PM -0500, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Thanks Tom, it defaults to true, but even setting it, still nothing returned :(
>
> > On Aug 3, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i should have mentioned in you original reply... check out
> > libURLFollowHttpRedirects in dictionary ... never had to use it but i
> > suppose thats what its for.
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, I think that it is as Tom mentioned a re-direct. That site is
> > built using wordpress, and that’s most of what WP does.
> > >
> > > So that begs the question, how do I get the put URL command to follow a
> > redirect?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Steve

> > the Milford Mirror page also don’t return anything in the message box.

> > https://

> > absolutely
> > expect.

> > around

Re: put URL oddity

On 08/03/2018 10:07 AM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
>
> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
>
> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.

Using Chrome's developer tools I can see no redirection going on here.

Watch your use of double quotes there. Your final character is a 'smart'
quote (%E2). If I fix that then the put statement works fine.

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 08/03/2018 10:07 AM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
>> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
>> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.
>
> Using Chrome's developer tools I can see no redirection going on here.
>
> Watch your use of double quotes there. Your final character is a 'smart' quote (%E2). If I fix that then the put statement works fine.

Thanks Mark, but that quote here is a regular quote. And I get nothing, even if I type the whole thing into the message box, which is what I’ve been doing to test.

Using Charles W’s neat little tools for debugging requests (https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode <https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode>) I get that error:

_proxyForURL_proxyForURL end with none foundProxy for URL:
Rebuilt URL to: https://www.milfordmirror.com/

Hostname www.milfordmirror.com was found in DNS cache

Trying 104.31.78.67...

TCP_NODELAY set

Connected to www.milfordmirror.com (104.31.78.67) port 443 (#50)

WARNING: disabling hostname validation also disables SNI.

SSL re-using session ID

SSL peer handshake failed, the server most likely requires a client certificate to connect

Closing connection 50

Using his tool for TS Net (https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/sample_sync_stack.livecode) I get:

tsneterr: (35) SSL peer handshake failed, the server most likely requires a client certificate to connect

I’m all for figuring this out, but something seems to be very different between our results.

Quitting LC has no effect as well.

I’m running MacOS 10.12.6

Thanks,

Steve

Re: put URL oddity

On Aug 3, 2018, at 4:12 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/03/2018 10:07 AM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I’m experiencing at put URL oddity:
>>> Entering: put URL "https://www.google.com” into the message box returns the HtML for the google home page, which is what I expect.
>>> Entering: put URL "https://www.milfordmirror.com/“ returns absolutely nothing, no errors, no content whatsoever. Just empty. Not what I expect.
>>
>> Using Chrome's developer tools I can see no redirection going on here.
>>
>> Watch your use of double quotes there. Your final character is a 'smart' quote (%E2). If I fix that then the put statement works fine.
>>

> Thanks Mark, but that quote here is a regular quote. And I get nothing, even if I type the whole thing into the message box, which is what I’ve been doing to test.
>
> Using Charles W’s neat little tools for debugging requests (https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode <https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode>) I get that error:
>
> _proxyForURL_proxyForURL end with none foundProxy for URL:
> Rebuilt URL to: https://www.milfordmirror.com/
>
> Hostname www.milfordmirror.com was found in DNS cache
>
> Trying 104.31.78.67...
>
> TCP_NODELAY set
>
> Connected to www.milfordmirror.com (104.31.78.67) port 443 (#50)
>
> WARNING: disabling hostname validation also disables SNI.
>
> SSL re-using session ID
>
> SSL peer handshake failed, the server most likely requires a client certificate to connect
>
> Closing connection 50
>
> Using his tool for TS Net (https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/sample_sync_stack.livecode) I get:
>
> tsneterr: (35) SSL peer handshake failed, the server most likely requires a client certificate to connect
>
> I’m all for figuring this out, but something seems to be very different between our results.
>
> Quitting LC has no effect as well.
>
> I’m running MacOS 10.12.6

Ok, found it! In this case, you must set:

 libURLSetSSLVerification true

Otherwise you get that error, and in my case, nothing is returned, not even the error, at least with out using that tool.

Grrr!!! In a world where not everyone is using SSL even today, or using it properly, this is always going to be a problem… Ah well!

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Best,

Steve

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
And we want to send men to another solar system! Can you imagine 8 years out, you need to make a minor course adjustment, but the computer keeps saying the certificate is expired??

Bob S

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 13:23 , Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok, found it! In this case, you must set:
>
> libURLSetSSLVerification true
>
> Otherwise you get that error, and in my case, nothing is returned, not even the error, at least with out using that tool.
>
> Grrr!!! In a world where not everyone is using SSL even today, or using it properly, this is always going to be a problem… Ah well!
>
> Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Steve

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Yes, what a nightmare!

This is going to be a nightmare for years to come… I understand the desire for secure communications, but it’s not always required or even beneficial.

Just as those astronauts had better have a fall back plan, so should we:)

Steve

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And we want to send men to another solar system! Can you imagine 8 years out, you need to make a minor course adjustment, but the computer keeps saying the certificate is expired??
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 3, 2018, at 13:23 , Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, found it! In this case, you must set:
>>
>> libURLSetSSLVerification true
>>
>> Otherwise you get that error, and in my case, nothing is returned, not even the error, at least with out using that tool.
>>
>> Grrr!!! In a world where not everyone is using SSL even today, or using it properly, this is always going to be a problem… Ah well!
>>
>> Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Steve

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
When working with web servers, encryption is in fact ALWAYS required, because if someone can get at your web server they can plant drive by malware. Anything exposed to the internet requires modern encryption, and it can be argued that anything exposed to ANY network requires it.

The alternative would have been to form an international squad of specialized assasins to hunt down every known hacker and purveyor of malware, and leave their tortured maimed bodies on the steps of the capital buildings of wherever they are from, so everyone gets the message. Unfortunately, the legal ramifications would have been too much to overcome. <sigh>

Bob S

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 13:45 , Stephen MacLean via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, what a nightmare!
>
> This is going to be a nightmare for years to come… I understand the desire for secure communications, but it’s not always required or even beneficial.
>
> Just as those astronauts had better have a fall back plan, so should we:)
>
> Steve

Re: put URL oddity

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
While *verified* encryption may be “required” by the major browsers and others for preventing "Man In the Middle” attacks, it’s still a hair ball that a lot of sites still haven’t figured out properly… and THAT is the big problem.

Cost, expertise, hosting, maintenance of certs, etc. all contribute to it not being the standard that folks would like it to be. Free certs and tools to make it easier to implement are helping, but there is a long way to go. I’m sure it will get there at some point.

I am glad to see that LC is supporting the verification of certs, good stuff. A few years ago, I ran into an issue where it couldn’t verify a valid, verified cert from a major vendor.

I do like your idea though;)

Steve