Quantcast

put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

This is a long shot, but has anyone ever experienced any problems with:

put <variable> into URL ("file:"&tFilespec)

On network drives under Windows, specifically where the users entire
"home' drive is a network drive (using Active Directory).

An error occurs ("the result" is coming back non-empty), but I don;t
have the specific error - this occurs at a customer site and this
particular part of the code does not display the Operating System error
in "the result" to the customer

It does not occur every time, but frequently.

This is a standalone built under a pre-LC7 version of Livecode (so
pre-Unicode) so could it be a unicode character in the filespec?

Re: put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > This is a long shot, but has anyone ever experienced any problems
 > with:
 >
 > put <variable> into URL ("file:"&tFilespec)
 >
 > On network drives under Windows, specifically where the users entire
 > "home' drive is a network drive (using Active Directory).
 >
 > An error occurs ("the result" is coming back non-empty), but I don;t
 > have the specific error - this occurs at a customer site and this
 > particular part of the code does not display the Operating System
 > error in "the result" to the customer
 >
 > It does not occur every time, but frequently.
 >
 > This is a standalone built under a pre-LC7 version of Livecode (so
 > pre-Unicode) so could it be a unicode character in the filespec?

With file I/O I've gotten into the habit of adding a call to the
sysError function to let the OS provide the specific error code related
to the failure, e.g.:

   put tSomething into url tSomeFile
   if the result is not empty then
      answer the result && "(" & sysError() &")"
      exit to top

On 5/4/2017 11:37 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Paul Dupuis wrote:
>
> > This is a long shot, but has anyone ever experienced any problems
> > with:
> >
> > put <variable> into URL ("file:"&tFilespec)
> >
> > On network drives under Windows, specifically where the users entire
> > "home' drive is a network drive (using Active Directory).
> >
> > An error occurs ("the result" is coming back non-empty), but I don;t
> > have the specific error - this occurs at a customer site and this
> > particular part of the code does not display the Operating System
> > error in "the result" to the customer
> >
> > It does not occur every time, but frequently.
> >
> > This is a standalone built under a pre-LC7 version of Livecode (so
> > pre-Unicode) so could it be a unicode character in the filespec?
>

> With file I/O I've gotten into the habit of adding a call to the
> sysError function to let the OS provide the specific error code
> related to the failure, e.g.:
>
>   put tSomething into url tSomeFile
>   if the result is not empty then
>      answer the result && "(" & sysError() &")"
>      exit to top
>    end if

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Even when trying to create very simple
explanatory error messages for consumption by "average" users, it is
good practice to add the actual error codes - even if in a small font at
the bottom of the message. Unfortunately, the error code/message got
left out in this one part of the code.

Re: put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

Is there any possibility that the network drive has spun down? I haven't
tried it in recent versions of LC, but long ago I found I could get "the
detailed files" of some folder on a sleeping drive and that would cause
it to wake up!

Food for thought -
Phil Davis

On 5/4/2017 12:41 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode wrote:
> Is there any possibility that the network drive has spun down? I
> haven't tried it in recent versions of LC, but long ago I found I
> could get "the detailed files" of some folder on a sleeping drive and
> that would cause it to wake up!
>
> Food for thought -
> Phil Davis

Interesting suggestion. Thanks. This is a mid-size university, so my
guess is that the server is in a real data center with a fair number of
faculty and students accessing it. Timing out is a possibility we're
looking into. It could be server load related?