"Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

"Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dr. Hawkins
I am getting this error message.  This should not be happening on an indy
license with more than a year left.

For that matter, I have no idea what it means:

Error description: set: license limit exceeded

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
Your income has probably just exceeded $500,000; after all, the Indy
version of Livecode
has a built-in income detector :P

Richmond.

On 15.06.2016 21:19, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> I am getting this error message.  This should not be happening on an indy
> license with more than a year left.
>
> For that matter, I have no idea what it means:
>
> Error description: set: license limit exceeded

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dar Scott
I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.

As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions over the years.

Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many lines in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those limits had been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be checked.  It should be 0,0,0,0.

Dar

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Your income has probably just exceeded $500,000; after all, the Indy version of Livecode
> has a built-in income detector :P
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 15.06.2016 21:19, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>> I am getting this error message.  This should not be happening on an indy
>> license with more than a year left.
>>
>> For that matter, I have no idea what it means:
>>
>> Error description: set: license limit exceeded

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
So, (swank, swank) I opened up LC 8.0.1 Indy and typed "put the" into the
Message box, then copy-pasted "scriptLimits()" across from your message,
at which point the Message box contained this:

put the ÿþ

I was unable to DELETE anything in the Message Box.

which is both odd and problematic.

So, stopping trying to be clever (!) I typed "put the scriptLimits()"
into the Message box and got:

Script compile error:
Error description: Handler: bad command

which is also not much use.

I then opened LC 7.1.4 (because the Dictionary in Livecode 8.0.1 64-bit
Linux is a non-starter)
and looked up "scriptLimits()" and read:

Deprecated in Livecode 6.7.

At which point I felt bl**dy silly that I didn't check that first.

Richmond.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.

Me too . . . a couple of years of that, and I'd retire.

For that matter, that revenue  would let me sell for enough to retire.

Even given that my retirement needs have gone up now that I've driven a '27
Cadillac . . .

As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions over
> the years.
>
> Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many lines
> in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those limits had
> been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be checked.  It should be
> 0,0,0,0.

That occurred to me--but there is nowhere in my code that sets a script!
 (that, and i'm in the IDI . . .)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dar Scott
the scriptLimits()

I think you should still be able to put it, just drop 'the' or the parentheses.

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, (swank, swank) I opened up LC 8.0.1 Indy and typed "put the" into the
> Message box, then copy-pasted "scriptLimits()" across from your message,
> at which point the Message box contained this:
>
> put the ÿþ
>
> I was unable to DELETE anything in the Message Box.
>
> which is both odd and problematic.
>
> So, stopping trying to be clever (!) I typed "put the scriptLimits()"
> into the Message box and got:
>
> Script compile error:
> Error description: Handler: bad command
>
> which is also not much use.
>
> I then opened LC 7.1.4 (because the Dictionary in Livecode 8.0.1 64-bit Linux is a non-starter)
> and looked up "scriptLimits()" and read:
>
> Deprecated in Livecode 6.7.
>
> At which point I felt bl**dy silly that I didn't check that first.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 15.06.2016 21:35, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.
>>
>> As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions over the years.
>>
>> Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many lines in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those limits had been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be checked.  It should be 0,0,0,0.
>>
>> Dar
>>

>>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your income has probably just exceeded $500,000; after all, the Indy version of Livecode
>>> has a built-in income detector :P
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dar Scott
I think there is a random memory smashing error, based on the strange, but rare crashes and weird behavior reported recently.  Try quitting and restarting LC.

Otherwise, I'd look into script encryption.  Or some rarely used feature involving scripts.

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.
>>

> Me too . . . a couple of years of that, and I'd retire.
>
> For that matter, that revenue  would let me sell for enough to retire.
>
> Even given that my retirement needs have gone up now that I've driven a '27
> Cadillac . . .
>
> As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions over
>> the years.
>>
>> Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many lines
>> in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those limits had
>> been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be checked.  It should be
>> 0,0,0,0.
>>

> That occurred to me--but there is nowhere in my code that sets a script!
> (that, and i'm in the IDI . . .)
>
> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
Bug 17859

On 15.06.2016 22:15, Richmond wrote:

> So, (swank, swank) I opened up LC 8.0.1 Indy and typed "put the" into the
> Message box, then copy-pasted "scriptLimits()" across from your message,
> at which point the Message box contained this:
>
> put the ÿþ
>
> I was unable to DELETE anything in the Message Box.
>
> which is both odd and problematic.
>
> So, stopping trying to be clever (!) I typed "put the scriptLimits()"
> into the Message box and got:
>
> Script compile error:
> Error description: Handler: bad command
>
> which is also not much use.
>
> I then opened LC 7.1.4 (because the Dictionary in Livecode 8.0.1
> 64-bit Linux is a non-starter)
> and looked up "scriptLimits()" and read:
>
> Deprecated in Livecode 6.7.
>
> At which point I felt bl**dy silly that I didn't check that first.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 15.06.2016 21:35, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.
>>
>> As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions
>> over the years.
>>
>> Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many
>> lines in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those
>> limits had been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be
>> checked.  It should be 0,0,0,0.
>>
>> Dar
>>

>>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your income has probably just exceeded $500,000; after all, the Indy
>>> version of Livecode
>>> has a built-in income detector :P
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box
of LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.

I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?

Richmond.

On 15.06.2016 22:20, Dar Scott wrote:
> the scriptLimits()
>
> I think you should still be able to put it, just drop 'the' or the parentheses.

Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, (swank, swank) I opened up LC 8.0.1 Indy and typed "put the" into the
>> Message box, then copy-pasted "scriptLimits()" across from your message,
>> at which point the Message box contained this:
>>
>> put the ÿþ
>>
>> I was unable to DELETE anything in the Message Box.
>>
>> which is both odd and problematic.
>>
>> So, stopping trying to be clever (!) I typed "put the scriptLimits()"
>> into the Message box and got:
>>
>> Script compile error:
>> Error description: Handler: bad command
>>
>> which is also not much use.
>>
>> I then opened LC 7.1.4 (because the Dictionary in Livecode 8.0.1 64-bit Linux is a non-starter)
>> and looked up "scriptLimits()" and read:
>>
>> Deprecated in Livecode 6.7.
>>
>> At which point I felt bl**dy silly that I didn't check that first.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>> On 15.06.2016 21:35, Dar Scott wrote:
>>> I would very much like to be Indy disqualified.
>>>
>>> As to the error, it seems it has come up a few times in discussions over the years.
>>>
>>> Because of the word 'set', it feels like it has to do with too many lines in a script that is set in a standalone.  But, I thought those limits had been removed.  Just it case, scriptLimits() can be checked.  It should be 0,0,0,0.
>>>
>>> Dar

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Mike Bonner
Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code is
still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
just a snip snip snip.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box of
> LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.
>
> I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 15.06.2016 22:20, Dar Scott wrote:
>
>> the scriptLimits()
>>
>> I think you should still be able to put it, just drop 'the' or the
>> parentheses.
>>

> Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?
>

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, (swank, swank) I opened up LC 8.0.1 Indy and typed "put the" into the
>>> Message box, then copy-pasted "scriptLimits()" across from your message,
>>> at which point the Message box contained this:
>>>
>>> put the ÿþ
>>>
>>> I was unable to DELETE anything in the Message Box.
>>>
>>> which is both odd and problematic.
>>>
>>> So, stopping trying to be clever (!) I typed "put the scriptLimits()"
>>> into the Message box and got:
>>>
>>> Script compile error:
>>> Error description: Handler: bad command
>>>
>>> which is also not much use.
>>>
>>> I then opened LC 7.1.4 (because the Dictionary in Livecode 8.0.1 64-bit
>>> Linux is a non-starter)
>>> and looked up "scriptLimits()" and read:
>>>
>>> Deprecated in Livecode 6.7.
>>>
>>> At which point I felt bl**dy silly that I didn't check that first.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
That "snip snip snip" also sounds unfortunate :/

I thought I knew what "deprecated" meant - gone, dead, no more.

Obviously it means something a bit more subtle; well, at least in the
Livecode Universe.

If "deprecated" here means that it has been replaced by something else
(?) it would
be nice to know what the something else is.

Richmond.

On 15.06.2016 23:04, Mike Bonner wrote:

> Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
> still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code is
> still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
> compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
> just a snip snip snip.
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box of
>> LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.
>>
>> I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>> On 15.06.2016 22:20, Dar Scott wrote:
>>
>>> the scriptLimits()
>>>
>>> I think you should still be able to put it, just drop 'the' or the
>>> parentheses.
>>>
>> Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?
>>

>>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dar Scott
The function should stick around for a little bit because some old scripts might still check.

The generation of the error is strange, though--that may indicate a need for some snipping.  I suspect there is a check that never succeeds, but never has somehow occurred.

Just for fun:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
> still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code is
> still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
> compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
> just a snip snip snip.
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box of
>> LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.
>>
>> I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>> On 15.06.2016 22:20, Dar Scott wrote:
>>
>>> the scriptLimits()
>>>
>>> I think you should still be able to put it, just drop 'the' or the
>>> parentheses.
>>>

>> Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?
>>

>>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Richmond Mathewson-2
That's a bit semantically slithery . . .

Richmond.

On 15.06.2016 23:16, Dar Scott wrote:

> The function should stick around for a little bit because some old scripts might still check.
>
> The generation of the error is strange, though--that may indicate a need for some snipping.  I suspect there is a check that never succeeds, but never has somehow occurred.
>
> Just for fun:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation
>

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
>> still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code is
>> still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
>> compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
>> just a snip snip snip.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box of
>>> LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.
>>>
>>> I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?
>>>
>>> Richmond.

>>> Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Mike Bonner
Deprecated in this case means pointless since checking the limits shows
that there aren't any.  Usually the connotation is "discouraged"  as in
they'd rather you not use it but its still there for whatever reason.  (as
dar points out, some older scripts might check it and they might break if
it were removed)
I guess its possible that all the scriptlimits code that keeps you from
doing more than intended WAS cleaned up and removed, and all thats left is
a function that always returns 0,0,0,0.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That's a bit semantically slithery . . .
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 15.06.2016 23:16, Dar Scott wrote:
>
>> The function should stick around for a little bit because some old
>> scripts might still check.
>>
>> The generation of the error is strange, though--that may indicate a need
>> for some snipping.  I suspect there is a check that never succeeds, but
>> never has somehow occurred.
>>
>> Just for fun:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation
>>

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
>>> still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code
>>> is
>>> still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
>>> compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
>>> just a snip snip snip.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

J. Landman Gay
Deprecated doesn't mean gone, it means basically no longer useful, either
because it's been replaced by something better or because it no longer
applies. Typically the original term is retained in the language for
backward compatibility, but use in new code going forward is discouraged.

This is like the numtochar you use in Deva Writer, which is no longer
necessary in LC7+.  It doesn't break scripts but using newer syntax is more
powerful and convenient.

On June 15, 2016 3:18:12 PM Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That "snip snip snip" also sounds unfortunate :/
>
> I thought I knew what "deprecated" meant - gone, dead, no more.
>
> Obviously it means something a bit more subtle; well, at least in the
> Livecode Universe.
>
> If "deprecated" here means that it has been replaced by something else
> (?) it would
> be nice to know what the something else is.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 15.06.2016 23:04, Mike Bonner wrote:
>> Deprecated doesn't mean removed.  In this case, it looks like the code is
>> still there, but limits set to 0 (IE infinite)  Kinda surprised the code is
>> still there though, doesn't seem like it would be needed for backwards
>> compatability. Of course excising it would (probably?) be far more than a
>> just a snip snip snip.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's interesting; putting "put the scriptLimits" into the Message Box of
>>> LC 8.0.01 Indy yields 0,0,0,0.
>>>
>>> I *wonder why* the documentation says "deprecated"?
>>>
>>> Richmond.

>>> Why does this sound vaguely 'porno'?

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Dar Scott
I'm guessing *almost" all the scriptlimits code was removed.  Something generated the error for Dr. Hawkins.

Maybe that part that sets the limits to zero is broken.  Maybe some file was created with the same name as the old limits file.  I'm guessing that something smashed some RAM and set the limits to nonzero.

But, you are right, even the limits (and all limit checking) can be fully removed and the function just return a fixed string.

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:32 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Deprecated in this case means pointless since checking the limits shows
> that there aren't any.  Usually the connotation is "discouraged"  as in
> they'd rather you not use it but its still there for whatever reason.  (as
> dar points out, some older scripts might check it and they might break if
> it were removed)
> I guess its possible that all the scriptlimits code that keeps you from
> doing more than intended WAS cleaned up and removed, and all thats left is
> a function that always returns 0,0,0,0.
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> That's a bit semantically slithery . . .
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>> On 15.06.2016 23:16, Dar Scott wrote:
>>
>>> The function should stick around for a little bit because some old
>>> scripts might still check.
>>>
>>> The generation of the error is strange, though--that may indicate a need
>>> for some snipping.  I suspect there is a check that never succeeds, but
>>> never has somehow occurred.
>>>
>>> Just for fun:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

Re: "Error description: set: license limit exceeded"

Quentin Long
"Deprecated" doesn't mean "absent". "Deprecated" means something more like "we haven't *got rid of* X because a lot of our installed base depends on X, but we *really* don't want to see anybody using X for *new* projects."

"Bewitched" + "Charlie's Angels" - Charlie = "At Arm's Length"

Read the webcomic at [ http://www.atarmslength.net ]!

If you like "At Arm's Length", support it at [ http://www.patreon.com/DarkwingDude ].