"MegaWidget" question

Len Morgan
I'm wondering anyone has created a "megawidget" (sorry for the TCL/TK
term - that's my background) that would visually simulate a DIP switch?
I'd like to create a micro-app for a friend that would visually show and
allow the user to manipulate the switches on a multiposition DIP switch
and then calculate what those switches mean.  For example, it is common
to use 3 or 4 DIP switches to set the baud rate for a modem so I'd like
to let the user toggle the switches back and forth and display the baud
rate that would give them.  Alternatively, I'd also like to provide a
drop down box with the possible choices and upon selection, "set" the
switches on the screen.

This seems like it would need a modified checkbutton (one image for
switch-on and one for switch-off) and then a way of assembling more than
one of these into a group with a nice box around them that looks like
the body of the switch itself.

Is something like this possible?  I think if I had the images, I could
code it and make a generic DIP switch control that could make one as big
or small as necessary.

Thanks

Len Morgan

RE: "MegaWidget" question

MisterX
there's lots of ways...

easiest would be to use 2 icons, one for the non-hilited state of the button
and one for the hilited state (ON). You set the hilited of the button on and
off and it will show or switch that icon and it's a on-off switch...

set the button's auto-hilite to off with this little script

on mouseup
  set the hilite of me to not the hilite of me
end mouseup

very easy!

choice of icons will make the button more dipswitch like...
scanning dipswitches in on and off states is also allowed but icons look
usually better and are easier to find...

Depends how cool you want those icon or switches to look...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com

RE: "MegaWidget" question

Len Morgan
MisterX wrote:

choice of icons will make the button more dipswitch like...
scanning dipswitches in on and off states is also allowed but icons look
usually better and are easier to find...

Depends how cool you want those icon or switches to look...

cheers
Xavier

Well, that's a big part of what I was looking for: the icons.  The 3D aspect of a DIP switch makes it a little difficult to scan.  I was hoping someone might have seen something like this somewhere since I am "graphically challenged."  :-(

len

Re: "MegaWidget" question

Jim Ault
You could grab images off a web page (try google images search, or a DIP
manufacturer's site) save them as a png and import them into Rev.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 2/14/06 9:57 AM, "Len Morgan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MisterX wrote:
>
> choice of icons will make the button more dipswitch like...
> scanning dipswitches in on and off states is also allowed but icons look
> usually better and are easier to find...
>
> Depends how cool you want those icon or switches to look...
>
> cheers
> Xavier
>
> Well, that's a big part of what I was looking for: the icons.  The 3D aspect
> of a DIP switch makes it a little difficult to scan.  I was hoping someone
> might have seen something like this somewhere since I am "graphically
> challenged."  :-(

Re: "MegaWidget" question

Klaus major-k
Hi freinds,

> there's lots of ways...
>
> easiest would be to use 2 icons, one for the non-hilited state of
> the button
> and one for the hilited state (ON). You set the hilited of the
> button on and
> off and it will show or switch that icon and it's a on-off switch...
>
> set the button's auto-hilite to off with this little script
>
> on mouseup
>   set the hilite of me to not the hilite of me
> end mouseup
>
> very easy!

Even easier: Use a simple checkbox with your icons ;-)

> choice of icons will make the button more dipswitch like...
> scanning dipswitches in on and off states is also allowed but icons
> look
> usually better and are easier to find...
>
> Depends how cool you want those icon or switches to look...
>
> cheers
> Xavier
> http://monsieurx.com

>> I'm wondering anyone has created a "megawidget" (sorry for
>> the TCL/TK term - that's my background) that would visually
>> simulate a DIP switch?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Len Morgan

Regards