"Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915

Would be glad of feedback.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Heres my take.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
> can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
>
> Would be glad of feedback.
>
> Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Why not post it to the Forum?

R.

On 7/14/17 8:01 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> Heres my take.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
>> can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>>
>> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
>>
>> Would be glad of feedback.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
You are a lot kinder than me; when my "ant" bashed into a wall
I sent it all the way back to the start and took away its points
and made the food items reappear.

Richmond.

On 7/14/17 8:01 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> Heres my take.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
>> can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>>
>> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
>>
>> Would be glad of feedback.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'm not bored or at loose ends.. but looking for game models, this 60+ couldn't stop. got all 7 raisins, out in 349 secs… you could speed it up a lot!

How would we (how do "they") implement the movement of a player on screen (in this case, the ant) on mobile?

Silly fun was in fact addictive. I don' t think I could have stopped if I had wanted to. I can use this!

    [hidden email]> wrote:

    >Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
    >can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
    >
    >http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
    >
    >Would be glad of feedback.
    >
    >Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are a lot kinder than me; when my "ant" bashed into a wall
> I sent it all the way back to the start and took away its points
> and made the food items reappear.
>
> I've somehow managed to overcome my inclination to write a genetic
algorithm to evolve the ant that can do this optimally . . . I'm just too
far behind on my main project, and even further on my game . ..

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
A standard on mobile for this sort of thing seems to be a simulated d-pad
type control.  Though using the accelerometers isn't difficult and could
make it a real challenge when trying not to touch walls. (perhaps change
things so that wall touches are ok, but there are holes to avoid like a
marble maze game)

I keep hoping someone will implement box2d, but that will probably
(hopefully) happen once we reach 10.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not bored or at loose ends.. but looking for game models, this 60+
> couldn't stop. got all 7 raisins, out in 349 secs… you could speed it up a
> lot!
>
> How would we (how do "they") implement the movement of a player on screen
> (in this case, the ant) on mobile?
>
> Silly fun was in fact addictive. I don' t think I could have stopped if I
> had wanted to. I can use this!
>

> On 7/14/17, 7:01 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mike Bonner via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Heres my take.
>     https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0
>
>     On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>     [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     >Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
>     >can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>     >
>     >http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=
> 155915#p155915
>     >
>     >Would be glad of feedback.
>     >
>     >Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Please do feel free to use this, I'm glad that it might be slightly more
use than just an end of quickie summer course test.

Best, Richmond.

On 7/14/17 10:35 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> I'm not bored or at loose ends.. but looking for game models, this 60+ couldn't stop. got all 7 raisins, out in 349 secs… you could speed it up a lot!
>
> How would we (how do "they") implement the movement of a player on screen (in this case, the ant) on mobile?
>
> Silly fun was in fact addictive. I don' t think I could have stopped if I had wanted to. I can use this!
>

> On 7/14/17, 7:01 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mike Bonner via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      Heres my take.
>      https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0
>
>      On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>      [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      >Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
>      >can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>      >
>      >http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
>      >
>      >Would be glad of feedback.
>      >
>      >Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

On 7/14/17 2:59 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> A standard on mobile for this sort of thing seems to be a simulated d-pad
> type control.  Though using the accelerometers isn't difficult and could
> make it a real challenge when trying not to touch walls.

I've also seen mobile games where just touching the screen moves the
avatar to that position.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
1) We just dress up the screen with some incredible artwork (of which we have tons)
2) instead of picking up food, you hit on "surprises" which make a sound or say something and then give you a teaser question like

What is the difference between "empirical" and "metaphysical"
         __ 1) none really
         __ 2) It's all in your mind one way or the other
         __  3) These silly nit picky points have nothing to do with unconditional love

when the person choose # 3 they get to move on thru the maze..

i.e. turn it into super fun "edutainment"

just how to move the player along…

Monument Valley just released their latest.
That *entire* app is based on this maze model  at least $ ½ million in graphic arts and CGI programming
Except that you come out dumber than you went in
Because your brain shuts down for the duration…
But the graphics are awesome

BR

On 7/14/17, 10:11 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Please do feel free to use this, I'm glad that it might be slightly more
    use than just an end of quickie summer course test.

    Best, Richmond.

    On 7/14/17 10:35 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
    >I'm not bored or at loose ends.. but looking for game models, this 60+ couldn't stop. got all 7 raisins, out in 349 secs… you could speed it up a lot!
    >
    >How would we (how do "they") implement the movement of a player on screen (in this case, the ant) on mobile?
    >
    >Silly fun was in fact addictive. I don' t think I could have stopped if I had wanted to. I can use this!
    >
    >
    >
    >On 7/14/17, 7:01 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mike Bonner via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >      Heres my take.
    >      https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
confirmed, I just re-downloaded again Monument Valley 1, that's exactly how they make "little alice" (or whatever her name is) move around the castle walkways. tap and she goes there (if she can)

So I guess the algorithm would be

1) when you tap on a place on the maze that in fact the little girl can get to…
2) you have a path stored
3) you move the player along the path to the point of the last tap.

But we need more

all paths thru out the maze would have to be present.  But that's almost too easy… you could spot an apple off in the corner, scan the maze and see that it's reachable, then all you do it click on the apple and the player would move through…

Monument valley solves this by setting up barriers; then you not only move Alice along.. you have to change the scene to provide the right "gangway" for her to get upstairs and then out that's the actual challenge…  using that model without all the added barriers may not work, with out their million dollar budget we would never get it done.

OK back to Mike's idea:  we just emulate a game control d-pad on  screen… custom control group. draggable If you need to get it out of the way

4 triangles with a pause button in the center. yep that would work… and another option  laid out horizontally.
users will recognize it like any audio movie controller, takes less space

left      up     pause      down    right
<            ^           =                 _          >

where my chars above are small player control icons with no labels.

But d-Pad might be easier reached with the thumb  if he  is holding her phone in the same hand at the same time.

On 07/14/2017 06:53 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> Monument Valley just released their latest.

But <sigh> not for Android yet.
...damn you, Apple...

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Mark, Monument Valley isn’t Apple, it's Ustwo Games. Blame them :-)

If MV2 isn’t in the Play Store yet, have you gotten ahold of the add-ons for MV1?
Forgotten Shores and Ida’s (RED) Dream?  Definitely worth purchasing, IMO.

Generally, people seem to be complaining that the challenge in the new version is lower than v1.  But there are some new mechanics to be played, there are some touching moments between the new characters, and the splitting of story between the characters is quite creative.

The best description I ever read of the game: “Monument Valley isn't a game, it’s an experience.”  It won an Apple Design Award for good reason.

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 7:16 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 07/14/2017 06:53 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Monument Valley just released their latest.
>
> But <sigh> not for Android yet.
> ...damn you, Apple...
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Got you beat, 319 seconds.

Richmond, you need to set the navigationArrows to false (and hopefully
back to the user setting after the game.) I had other stacks open and
the up arrow key kept popping them to the front. That caused script
errors about how it couldn't find object "ant".

Even so, it was fun and cute. I think your kids will love it. :)

On 7/14/17 2:35 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> I'm not bored or at loose ends.. but looking for game models, this 60+ couldn't stop. got all 7 raisins, out in 349 secs… you could speed it up a lot!
>
> How would we (how do "they") implement the movement of a player on screen (in this case, the ant) on mobile?
>
> Silly fun was in fact addictive. I don' t think I could have stopped if I had wanted to. I can use this!
>

> On 7/14/17, 7:01 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mike Bonner via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      Heres my take.
>      https://www.dropbox.com/s/c40jiwn36lrohgy/Ant%20Maze.livecode?dl=0
>
>      On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>      [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      >Anyone who is bored/at a loose end/slightly bonkers
>      >can fool around with my "exam" for my kids:
>      >
>      >http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29498&p=155915#p155915
>      >
>      >Would be glad of feedback.
>      >
>      >Richmond.

Re: "Silly" fun for the weekend

On 07/14/2017 11:01 PM, Scott Rossi via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark, Monument Valley isn’t Apple, it's Ustwo Games. Blame them :-)

Scott- yeah, I get that. But the fact is that Apple managed to get UsTwo
to give them an exclusive so they could announce the new game with the
new iStuff announcements and thumb their nose at Google. So I can still
throw shade on Apple for this.

> If MV2 isn’t in the Play Store yet, have you gotten ahold of the add-ons for MV1?
> Forgotten Shores and Ida’s (RED) Dream?  Definitely worth purchasing, IMO.

Yep - been through all of those. And as soon as I did I said I'd buy
whatever UsTwo came out with. Brilliant. Now I'm sitting here with money
in hand anxiously waiting for the gates to open.