"empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

"empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

I’m within spitting distance on this merging of pdfs, using livecode to generate python code and using the PyPDF2 library.

My last problem is that the pdf generated by livecode creates a great background, whereas it should be transparent.

set the backgroundColor of otCd to empty

print otCd from otTl to otBr into 18,18,576+18,756

gives me a grey background that obscures the form I’m placing my output on top of

Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
The Hawkins Law Firm
3430 E. Flamingo Rd.
Suite 232
Las Vegas, NV  89121
(702) 508-8462

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Don't things inherit attributes?..... so if empty, that means the card
would inherit the stacks background color??

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m within spitting distance on this merging of pdfs, using livecode to
> generate python code and using the PyPDF2 library.
>
> My last problem is that the pdf generated by livecode creates a great
> background, whereas it should be transparent.
>
> set the backgroundColor of otCd to empty
>
> print otCd from otTl to otBr into 18,18,576+18,756
>
> gives me a grey background that obscures the form I’m placing my output on
> top of
>

> —
> Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> The Hawkins Law Firm
> 3430 E. Flamingo Rd.
> Suite 232
> Las Vegas, NV  89121
> (702) 508-8462

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793

On Oct 30, 2019, at 10:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't things inherit attributes?..... so if empty, that means the card
> would inherit the stacks background color??

The card and the stack also are set to empty backgroundcolor

I’ve also set the opaque of stack, card, and group to false.

I’ve even checked the effective opaque of the selectedObject,  which is false for the group I print it’s pieces.

Yet I get a grey overlay when the pdf is merged into another pdf.

Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
The Hawkins Law Firm
3430 E. Flamingo Rd.
Suite 232
Las Vegas, NV  89121
(702) 508-8462

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
A light gray is the system default on OS X windows. You might have better
luck setting the stack background to opaque and white. But take that with a
grain of salt, I've never done what you're attempting.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

On Oct 31, 2019, at 5:42 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A light gray is the system default on OS X windows. You might have better luck setting the stack background to opaque and white. But take that with a grain of salt, I've never done what you're attempting.

But if the background is opaque, it will block the text underneath it for the form I’m filling.

I *may* have to go to not even generating a LiveCode pdf, but instead PyPDF2 commands to place text . . .  [yuckier and yuckier . . .]

doc hawk wrote:

 > On Oct 31, 2019, at 5:42 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
 >>
 >> A light gray is the system default on OS X windows. You might have
 >> better luck setting the stack background to opaque and white....
 >
 > But if the background is opaque, it will block the text underneath
 > it for the form I’m filling.

I'm certain that I don't understand the layout, because from the
description it sounds like you have an object which is not visible and
therefore cannot be printed but which is causing a problem when printed.

I'm sure you've considered simply hiding the thing you don't want shown
during printing, so clearly there's something else in play here.

What does the object contribute to printing?

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

On Nov 1, 2019, at 10:03 AM, Richard rumbled

> I'm certain that I don't understand the layout, because from the description it sounds like you have an object which is not visible and therefore cannot be printed but which is causing a problem when printed.
>
> I'm sure you've considered simply hiding the thing you don't want shown during printing, so clearly there's something else in play here.
>
> What does the object contribute to printing?

What I need to do is place livecode output over an existing pdf.

I had been making as close as possible duplicates of the forms (still ideal, but runs into issues with trustees), which worked smoothly.

I can’t use pdf widgets, as the rasterization to 72dpi (or less, it appears) makes text to fuzzy to read.

This leaves me with using the court’s and trustees’ pdfs, and putting output on them (and simply using the pdf “standard” to fill fields isn’t an option, as some are just plain wrong, and other’s are only accessible with the most up to date version of acrobat).

So my current approach is to display on screen using a widget behind the data I place, and then an external program, such as PyPDF2, to merge the original pdfs and my livecode output.

While on screen, my generated objects act correctly, being just black text with transparent background.   When merging, though, the livecode pdf has grey instead of clear for the entire object generated with print to pdf.

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

> While on screen, my generated objects act correctly, being just black text with transparent background.   When merging, though, the livecode pdf has grey instead of clear for the entire object generated with print to pdf.

Untested, but maybe setting the opaques to true and the blendlevel to
100? A bit counerintuitive, but ya never know...

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:37 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Untested, but maybe setting the opaques to true and the blendlevel to 100? A bit counerintuitive, but ya never know...

No less intuitive than there being fundamental technical reasons that it was necessary to sacrifice small animals to SCSI chains, which I accepted long ago :)

The result is curious . . . the outputted pdf is now *entirely* grey, yet when merged through PyPDF2, a single renege field appears from within the grey (the only field the I hadn’t set to not be opaque, I think.  Or perhaps it’s the only one with a white rather than empty background.

Still, though, the grey of the livecode file blocks the pdf beneath it.

I’m printing each LC page with

set the backgroundColor of otCd to empty

set the opaque of group "oGrp" to true

set the blendlevel of group "oGrp" to 100

set the blendlevel of otCd to 100

print otCd from otTl to otBr into 18,18,576+18,756

(where otCd is the card with my LC fields, all contained within group ogre). (otto and otBr hold the top left and bottom right of group ogre)

Just what are you suggesting should get a blend level?

Or would it make sense ()or be necessary)if I just printed each  field into its own coordinate?

And a bit of further testing shows that the field that appears after merging is actually a region which contains two fields and the space between them,  and is apparently shown the background pdf in this limited area (but not the contents of these fields.

Now my head is spinning . . .  anything more  you can tell me beyond what the dictionary says would help, as my head is spinning . . .

On 11/1/19 5:27 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:

> Now my head is spinning . . .  anything more  you can tell me beyond what the dictionary says would help, as my head is spinning . . .

Yeah, now that I think back on this the blendlevel would make the text
transparent as well as the background, so that's not gonna fly.

Is it possible to pick up the background color from the mouseColor or
the backgroundColor or something and set the background color of the
field to that? (and obviously forget the bit about setting the blendlevel)

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

On Nov 1, 2019, at 5:42 PM, Mark mentioned,

> Is it possible to pick up the background color from the mouseColor or the backgroundColor or something and set the background color of the field to that? (and obviously forget the bit about setting the blendlevel)

The problem there is that there may be writing underneath my field in the “source” pdf that I am “filling”, and I can’t obscure that.

Pdf can handle transparencies, and placing partially transparent images over others.

If I’m not missing something, it’s a bug in Livecode if it generates a pdf of a field with no backgroundColor and false opaque for Sheffield, card, and stack.

And as I mentioned, the “effective opaque” of the field reports as false.

Re: "empty" background in printed pdf is actually grey

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I have no clue about the intricacies involved, but as a crazy idea to throw out, could you make the source pdf transparent at put it -on top- of the one you generate?
.Jerry

doc hawk wrote:

> If I’m not missing something, it’s a bug in Livecode if it generates a
> pdf of
> a field with no backgroundColor and false opaque for Sheffield, card,
> and stack.

I wonder if it's related to this mystery in the forums:

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33238

> And as I mentioned, the “effective opaque” of the field reports as
> false.

There's an "effective opaque" property?  How does that work?