"module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I had a little module (two actually - both derivatives of the LiveCode Line
Graph widget). In a stack that I only used in the IDE, so this is nothing to
do with standalones. I last used this stack two weeks ago - almost certainly
under LC 8.1.8, if not 8.1.7.

Last week I installed and at least briefly used both LC 8.1.9 rc 1 and 9.0.0.
dp 11.

Today I went to use this stack again, and found the component on the page
empty. Looking at the Extension Manager, both widgets are labelled "Module
format not supported".  Quit and relaunch doesn't help. Just in case my memory
is faulty, I tried opening the stack in 8.1.7 - one of the widgets doesn't
appear in the list at all, the other is labelled "Module format not supported".

So I have two questions:

1) What does this mean and what should I do about it

2) Should launching a newer build of LC do something to corrupt user modules
in this way?

I assume that there's been a change in module format, and LC 9 (I assume)
automatically updated the ones it found to the new format, thus breaking them
for earlier versions.  Obviously given that LC9 is dp, so it's reasonable to
assume that the user is still running something more stable in parallel with
reviewing LC9, it would be polite to at least ask the user if they want these
modules updated or ignored.

So my third question is where should I have read something that would have
told me about this change?

TIA,

Ben

Re: "module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi Ben,

The module format has changed between LC 8 and 9, so any custom widget
built in LC 8 will NOT work out of the box in LC 9 and vice versa, but all
you have to do is rebuild the widget (i.e. recompile the .lcb file) using
the LC version that shows that error.

Also note that there were some changes between LC 9 DP-9 and DP-10, so if
you built the widget *before* DP-10 AND the widget uses the "post" or
"send" syntax, you'll need to rebuild it with DP-10 or DP-11.

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a little module (two actually - both derivatives of the LiveCode
> Line Graph widget). In a stack that I only used in the IDE, so this is
> nothing to do with standalones. I last used this stack two weeks ago -
> almost certainly under LC 8.1.8, if not 8.1.7.
>
> Last week I installed and at least briefly used both LC 8.1.9 rc 1 and
> 9.0.0. dp 11.
>
> Today I went to use this stack again, and found the component on the page
> empty. Looking at the Extension Manager, both widgets are labelled "Module
> format not supported".  Quit and relaunch doesn't help. Just in case my
> memory is faulty, I tried opening the stack in 8.1.7 - one of the widgets
> doesn't appear in the list at all, the other is labelled "Module format not
> supported".
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) What does this mean and what should I do about it
>
> 2) Should launching a newer build of LC do something to corrupt user
> modules in this way?
>

> I assume that there's been a change in module format, and LC 9 (I assume)
> automatically updated the ones it found to the new format, thus breaking
> them for earlier versions.  Obviously given that LC9 is dp, so it's
> reasonable to assume that the user is still running something more stable
> in parallel with reviewing LC9, it would be polite to at least ask the user
> if they want these modules updated or ignored.
>
> So my third question is where should I have read something that would have
> told me about this change?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

Re: "module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I'll answer only question 1 for a first aid.
Leave others to the team.

This is due to the *automatic* compilation by LC 9.0.0-dp11. This is
an idea that only makes sense for code which runs in both LC 8.1.8
and LC 9.0.0-dp11 and for modules that should only be used in LC9.

The result means your code wouldn't compile in LC 9.0.0-dp11.
Probably you have some "post" or "execute script" things to another
handler, for example from OnCreate to OnOpen.

First Aid: Uninstall the module and recompile it with LC 8.1.8.

Currently there are only two ways to avoid that.

(a) Don't use LC 9.0.0-dp11 (LC 9.0.0-dp10 is OK)
or
(b) Remove the lcb file from the lce (the lce is an ordinary zip,
so you can do that with revZip).Then it cannot be automatically
recompiled, shows only "module format not supported in LC 9". But
runs always in LC 8 (version > 8.1.4).

I use currently variant (b).

Re: "module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
There is also a forum thread to that problem with an answer
by LC-Mark.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=162674#p162674

Re: "module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Thanks Hermann, that filled me in.

Ben

On 05/02/2018 11:50, hh via use-livecode wrote:

> There is also a forum thread to that problem with an answer
> by LC-Mark.
>
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=162674#p162674

Re: "module format not supported"

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi Ben,

I posted a stack to the forum, that forces recompilation of widgets that
were automatically compiled from 8 to 9 format.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=30433&p=163580#p163580

Kind regards
Bernd