recOnline Viewer

David Burgun
Hi All,

Is there anyway to stop the revOnline Viewer window from popping up
everytime I launch RunRev? It is sooooooo annoying!

It wouldn't be too bad, if there were not so many bugs in the IDE
that make it necessary to relaunch RunRev. I really can't see the
point of popping up this window EVERY time you launch rev, anyone
else agree?

I MUCH better thing to do IMHO would be to open the Application
Browser on the last stack used. Now that would be useful.

At the very least I reckon the display of the revOnline window should
be a Preference.

Just my 5 cents worth
All the Best
Dave

Re: recOnline Viewer

Wouter-12

On 08 Jul 2005, at 14:39, David Burgun wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there anyway to stop the revOnline Viewer window from popping up
> everytime I launch RunRev? It is sooooooo annoying!
>
> It wouldn't be too bad, if there were not so many bugs in the IDE
> that make it necessary to relaunch RunRev. I really can't see the
> point of popping up this window EVERY time you launch rev, anyone
> else agree?
>
> I MUCH better thing to do IMHO would be to open the Application
> Browser on the last stack used. Now that would be useful.
>
> At the very least I reckon the display of the revOnline window
> should be a Preference.

It is.

> Just my 5 cents worth
> All the Best
> Dave

Greetings,
Wouter

Re: recOnline Viewer

Klaus major-k
Hi David,

> Hi All,
>
> Is there anyway to stop the revOnline Viewer window from popping up
> everytime I launch RunRev? It is sooooooo annoying!
>
> It wouldn't be too bad, if there were not so many bugs in the IDE
> that make it necessary to relaunch RunRev. I really can't see the
> point of popping up this window EVERY time you launch rev, anyone
> else agree?
>
> I MUCH better thing to do IMHO would be to open the Application
> Browser on the last stack used. Now that would be useful.
>
> At the very least I reckon the display of the revOnline window
> should be a Preference.

It is, mon ami, it is!

Clean your glasses and take a look at:

Preferences -> General -> Automatically launch Revolution Online

:-)

> Just my 5 cents worth
> All the Best
> Dave

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: recOnline Viewer

David Burgun
Excellent! Sorry!  Couldn't see it for looking! Now just default it
to off and we're away!

Still think it would be a good idea to have a pref for opened the App
Browser and Open Last Stack.

Bye for now
Dave

>Hi David,
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Is there anyway to stop the revOnline Viewer window from popping up
>>everytime I launch RunRev? It is sooooooo annoying!
>>
>>It wouldn't be too bad, if there were not so many bugs in the IDE
>>that make it necessary to relaunch RunRev. I really can't see the
>>point of popping up this window EVERY time you launch rev, anyone
>>else agree?
>>
>>I MUCH better thing to do IMHO would be to open the Application
>>Browser on the last stack used. Now that would be useful.
>>
>>At the very least I reckon the display of the revOnline window
>>should be a Preference.
>
>It is, mon ami, it is!
>
>Clean your glasses and take a look at:
>
>Preferences -> General -> Automatically launch Revolution Online
>
>:-)
>
>>Just my 5 cents worth
>>All the Best
>>Dave
>
>Regards
>
>Klaus Major
>[hidden email]
>http://www.major-k.de

Re: recOnline Viewer

Eric Chatonet
Hi Dave,

As for the app browser, it's automatic: Rev opens it if it was open
when you quit the previous session.
As for last stack, it depends on too many things and ways for
everybody to work.
But you can dowload my Stacks Picker plugin from my web-site and
define preferences to open, start using, etc. all stacks needed at
start-up with it.

Le 8 juil. 05 à 14:59, David Burgun a écrit :

> Still think it would be a good idea to have a pref for opened the
> App Browser and Open Last Stack.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: recOnline Viewer

Jon-3
In all fairness, I had a hard time finding this preference, too: I had
no idea it was there.

:)

Jon

>> At the very least I reckon the display of the revOnline window
>> should be a Preference.
>

> It is, mon ami, it is!
>
> Clean your glasses and take a look at:
>
> Preferences -> General -> Automatically launch Revolution Online

Re: recOnline Viewer

Eric Chatonet
Hi all,

I agree.
Ergonomics are not the strong point of runRev.
This pref (open Rev Online at start-up or not) should be included in
Rev Online itself.
May I add that the prefs button at the top-right of the Rev Online
window does not make sense?
I thought for a long time it was only a "logo" :-)

Le 8 juil. 05 à 15:26, Jon a écrit :

> In all fairness, I had a hard time finding this preference, too: I
> had no idea it was there.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: recOnline Viewer

Jon-3

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> This pref (open Rev Online at start-up or not) should be included in
> Rev Online itself.

Agree!

> May I add that the prefs button at the top-right of the Rev Online
> window does not make sense?
> I thought for a long time it was only a "logo" :-)

I had no idea that some of those items did anything.  I guess I have to
click on everything I can see!

Re: recOnline Viewer

David Burgun

I just tested it and the App Browser does open as you say! This must
be new, cos on the last version I swear you had to open it each time
the app was launched.

The Stack issues is not a big one, it's just that if you have 3 or 4
seperate main stacks open and the IDE crashes, it's a real pain to
have to open them all again.

The open recent files is a help, but would be cool IMO if it were a
pref, but no biggie!

Think I am still in shock from the terrible destruction of yesterday,
if anyone on this list was hurt or knows someone that was hurt or
worse, my heart goes out to you. I got off lightly, a 40 min journey
took me 5 hours, so I lost 4 hours and 20 mins of my
life............................. Much worse for some.

All the Best
Dave

>Hi Dave,
>
>As for the app browser, it's automatic: Rev opens it if it was open
>when you quit the previous session.
>As for last stack, it depends on too many things and ways for
>everybody to work.
>But you can dowload my Stacks Picker plugin from my web-site and
>define preferences to open, start using, etc. all stacks needed at
>start-up with it.
>
>Le 8 juil. 05 à 14:59, David Burgun a écrit :
>
>>Still think it would be a good idea to have a pref for opened the
>>App Browser and Open Last Stack.
>
>Best Regards from Paris,
>
>Eric Chatonet.
>So Smart Software
>
>For institutions, companies and associations
>Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
>Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
>Free plugins and tutorials on my website

Re: recOnline Viewer

sims
At 3:33 PM +0100 7/8/05, David Burgun wrote:
>I just tested it and the App Browser does open as you say! This must
>be new, cos on the last version I swear you had to open it each time
>the app was launched.

Just to prove that you cannot make everyone happy...   ;-)

I dislike having the App Browser opening. I usually never use the
App Browser. Now I have to close the thing all the time. I am guessing
that there isn't a preference for keeping it closed and I might have to
muck around in the rev_ code. Argh.

Can anyone point me to a preference for keeping it closed unless
I want to open it myself?

ciao,
sims

Re: recOnline Viewer

David Burgun
Hi,

Well that's what I was suggesting, an "Open App Browser on Launch"
Checkbox would do it. Or maybe "Open App Browser when Opening Stack"
would be better.

All the Best
Dave

>At 3:33 PM +0100 7/8/05, David Burgun wrote:
>>I just tested it and the App Browser does open as you say! This must
>>be new, cos on the last version I swear you had to open it each time
>>the app was launched.
>
>Just to prove that you cannot make everyone happy...   ;-)
>
>I dislike having the App Browser opening. I usually never use the
>App Browser. Now I have to close the thing all the time. I am guessing
>that there isn't a preference for keeping it closed and I might have to
>muck around in the rev_ code. Argh.
>
>Can anyone point me to a preference for keeping it closed unless
>I want to open it myself?
>
>ciao,
>sims

Re: recOnline Viewer

Derek Bump
sims wrote:
> Just to prove that you cannot make everyone happy...   ;-)

How true.  I too am unhappy about the Application Browser.  It never
opens in the same location.  I have a BugZilla ticket opened with a fix,
so votes would be appreciated.

The Property Palette also has the same issue, but fixing it is a little
bit more intricate.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software

Re: recOnline Viewer

mwieder
Eric-

Friday, July 8, 2005, 6:33:28 AM, you wrote:

EC> May I add that the prefs button at the top-right of the Rev Online
EC> window does not make sense?
EC> I thought for a long time it was only a "logo" :-)

!!! A prefs button !!! I never thought about clicking on it !!!

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: recOnline Viewer

mwieder
sims-

Friday, July 8, 2005, 7:37:55 AM, you wrote:

s> Can anyone point me to a preference for keeping it closed unless
s> I want to open it myself?

Interesting. That's the way it works for me.

I use the App Browser all the time, so it's convenient that it pops up
for me when I start rev. However, when I do close it and then shut
down the IDE it doesn't pop up the next time I launch rev.

Are you seeing something different?

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: recOnline Viewer

mwieder
David-

Friday, July 8, 2005, 7:49:58 AM, you wrote:

DB> Well that's what I was suggesting, an "Open App Browser on Launch"
DB> Checkbox would do it. Or maybe "Open App Browser when Opening Stack"
DB> would be better.

The App Browser remembers the last setting. If you had it open, it
opens the next time. If you had it closed, it stays closed. What's the
problem? I suppose having a checkbox by the menuItem would be a good
visual indicator, but I see having Yet Another Preference Setting as
being redundant here.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: recOnline Viewer

sims
At 11:00 AM -0700 7/8/05, Mark Wieder wrote:
>I use the App Browser all the time, so it's convenient that it pops up
>for me when I start rev. However, when I do close it and then shut
>down the IDE it doesn't pop up the next time I launch rev.
>
>Are you seeing something different?

When I "Close and Remove From Memory" the App Browser
pops up even if I hadn't opened it during that session.

I'd like to have the option for that not to happen...as I rarely use it.

ciao,
sims

Re: recOnline Viewer

mwieder
sims-

Friday, July 8, 2005, 11:19:03 AM, you wrote:

s> When I "Close and Remove From Memory" the App Browser
s> pops up even if I hadn't opened it during that session.

s> I'd like to have the option for that not to happen...as I rarely use it.

Ah - got it. That's a different issue from what I was thinking of.

Just curious, though - don't you have a hard time selecting invisible
or off-screen objects without it? Seems rather like trying to pilot a
plane without instruments to me. It's a handy way for me to know what
stacks *are* in memory, so I can close them before running into the
dreaded error message about a stack by that name already existing.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: recOnline Viewer

sims
At 1:46 PM -0700 7/8/05, Mark Wieder wrote:
>Just curious, though - don't you have a hard time selecting invisible
>or off-screen objects without it? Seems rather like trying to pilot a
>plane without instruments to me. It's a handy way for me to know what
>stacks *are* in memory, so I can close them before running into the
>dreaded error message about a stack by that name already existing.

Nope. I usually use a naming scheme so I know what to name cds or stacks, View
in the menubar has 'Show invisible Objects', and I use the message box for lots
of things. Once or twice a day I might use the App Browser but
usually not more.

That's one of the things I like about Rev - it's extremely flexible.

ciao,
sims