reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Ben Rubinstein
After adding a new device to my registered set in my Apple developer account,
how can I get LC to recognise it?

I go through this every now and then, conduct a lot of superstitious rituals,
eventually I get there.. but I never know how.

I've launched Xcode, used it to build an app to the device, which caused it to
say that there was a problem and offer to fix it. Now Xcode can build to the
new device, but LiveCode still not.

The message (when I ask Xcode to add the newly built app to the device) is

        The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.

        The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing
  Entitlements file do not match those specified in your
        provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).

In LC, I've selected a different provisioning profile, selected the original
one again, quit and restarted LC, turned to face east, hailed cthulhu, etc...
all the usual things... still no luck.

So, how do I force LC to refresh the provisioning profiles, or otherwise to
build an app which can be installed on a new device?

Secondary question: how do I get LC to stop seeing every old profile I've ever
had (many with the same name) in the "Profile" popup on the iOS tab of the
Standalone Settings window?

TIA,

Ben

Re: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Wprothero
Ben,
I feel your pain. I don't load a new app to my iPhone very often, but when I do, I plan an entire day stumbling around in the forest of updates, new versions, certificates, provisioning, etc, etc. There is a tutorial on the lessons and it worked the first time for me. But after that it was a guessing game and when it did finally work, I didn't really know why.

I'm getting ready to trod that trail again, and hope for the best.
Good luck. If you get any magic wisdom, please post it.

Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> After adding a new device to my registered set in my Apple developer account, how can I get LC to recognise it?
>
> I go through this every now and then, conduct a lot of superstitious rituals, eventually I get there.. but I never know how.
>
> I've launched Xcode, used it to build an app to the device, which caused it to say that there was a problem and offer to fix it. Now Xcode can build to the new device, but LiveCode still not.
>
> The message (when I ask Xcode to add the newly built app to the device) is
>
>    The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.
>
>    The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing
>    Entitlements file do not match those specified in your
>    provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).
>

> In LC, I've selected a different provisioning profile, selected the original one again, quit and restarted LC, turned to face east, hailed cthulhu, etc... all the usual things... still no luck.
>
> So, how do I force LC to refresh the provisioning profiles, or otherwise to build an app which can be installed on a new device?
>
> Secondary question: how do I get LC to stop seeing every old profile I've ever had (many with the same name) in the "Profile" popup on the iOS tab of the Standalone Settings window?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Dave Kilroy
Hi Ben

You can’t force LC to refresh provisioning profiles - LC only uses provisioning profiles made at the developer portal and stored on you computer. These are the steps you should consider when adding a new device...

At the Developer Portal:

- add your new device’s UDID in the ‘Devices’ section
- in the ‘Provisioning Profile’ section edit the provisioning profile of the app you are interested in - including your new device in the ‘Devices’ box (this box is a scrolling field so all your devices may not be in view)
- click the ‘Generate’ button
- do not click the ‘Download’ button

On your computer (Keychain Access)

- check the ‘my Certificates’ section for any expired keys/certificates - zap all non-current ones

On your computer (Xcode)

- open Xcode
- open ‘Preferences’
- open the ‘Accounts’ tab
- click on your Apple ID
- click on one of the listed ‘team member’ roles (there may only be one)
- click the ‘View Details’ button
- wait a few seconds for data to refresh
- in the upper ‘Signing Identities’ box ensure your certificates are up to date
- in the lower ‘Provisioning Profiles box remove any duplicate Provisioning Profile by right-clicking them and choosing ‘Move to Trash’
- click any showing ‘Download’ buttons showing alongside Provisioning Profile (and get rid of all duplicate Provisioning Profiles)
- tidy up all the profiles in each of your ‘team role’ entries
- if you have any remaining profiles you can’t get rid of, right-click one of the provisioning profiles and select ‘View in Folder’ (this shows you where profiles are stored locally and you can delete all of them and download them afresh (close and reopen Xcode preferences to get it to refresh) - try to ensure that you only have valid provisioning profiles on your computer - and only one copy of each profile

On your computer (LiveCode)

- open LiveCode
- open your app
- open the ‘Standalone Application Settings’ dialog box
- open the iOS tab
- find the relevant Provisioning Profile in the ‘Profile’ drop-down (there should only be a single profile with your app’s name in the list)
- save your app
- try building an iOS standalone

You should now have built a new version of your app that can be installed on your new device.

BTW the reason I recommend not clicking the ‘download’ button on the Developer Portal is that getting Xcode to do the downloading is neater and means it’s easier to ensure you only have a single and valid Provisioning Profile for each of your development apps on your machine for LiveCode to access

One other thing - I always add “ - development” or “ - distribution” to profile names so that when it comes to adding the correct one from the LiveCode drop-down I can be sure I’m adding the correct type of profile…

Kind regards

Dave

> After adding a new device to my registered set in my Apple developer account,
> how can I get LC to recognise it?
>
> I go through this every now and then, conduct a lot of superstitious rituals,
> eventually I get there.. but I never know how.
>
> I've launched Xcode, used it to build an app to the device, which caused it to
> say that there was a problem and offer to fix it. Now Xcode can build to the
> new device, but LiveCode still not.
>
> The message (when I ask Xcode to add the newly built app to the device) is
>
>         The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.
>
>         The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing
>   Entitlements file do not match those specified in your
>         provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).
>

> In LC, I've selected a different provisioning profile, selected the original
> one again, quit and restarted LC, turned to face east, hailed cthulhu, etc...
> all the usual things... still no luck.
>
> So, how do I force LC to refresh the provisioning profiles, or otherwise to
> build an app which can be installed on a new device?
>
> Secondary question: how do I get LC to stop seeing every old profile I've ever
> had (many with the same name) in the "Profile" popup on the iOS tab of the
> Standalone Settings window?

TIA,

Ben
Peter M. Brigham

RE: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Ralph DiMola
Rant==>Apple's eco system make me nuts.

Ben,

After you add the device on your developer account:
1) Select the new device and regenerate the provisioning profile in your developer account.
2) Open Xcode and go to prefs and on the "Accounts" tab click on your account and click the your team on the right.
3) Click "View Details"
4) The updated provisioning profile should have a download button.
5) There will now be duplicate provisioning profiles. To avoid confusion seeing duplicate provisioning profiles in LC, right click to old one(s) and delete them.
6) Open LC.
7) You will see that there is no longer a provisioning profile selected.
8) Select the provisioning profile and you should be good to go.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

William Prothero
Ben:
Thanks so much for the procedure. I’ll try it out in a day or two and give feedback.
Best,
bill

> [...]
>>
>>        The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.
>>
>>        The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing
>>  Entitlements file do not match those specified in your
>>        provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).
>>

>> In LC, I've selected a different provisioning profile, selected the original
>> one again, quit and restarted LC, turned to face east, hailed cthulhu, etc...
>> all the usual things... still no luck.
>>
>> So, how do I force LC to refresh the provisioning profiles, or otherwise to
>> build an app which can be installed on a new device?
>>
>> Secondary question: how do I get LC to stop seeing every old profile I've ever
>> had (many with the same name) in the "Profile" popup on the iOS tab of the
>> Standalone Settings window?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

Re: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Whoops! Thanked the wrong person.

Thanks, DAVE.
Best,
Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: reloading iOS provisioning profiles etc

Wprothero
Dave Kilroy:
Dave, your prescription for loading the iOS app really helped a lot!!!

I got the app onto my iPhone is less than an hour and most of that was spent making icons. It solves a problem of using very complex software to do a rather simple task and it’s so easy to go wrong at any step. It’s the gotchas that are critical.

BTW, I used LC 8.1 (rc1) and XCode 8. My Mac is on 10.11.6. I’m waiting to upgrade until I’m assured LC will build and load iOS apps on the new version of OSX.

One thing I had to do was first create an appID profile for my app. No biggy. After I made the provisioning profile and launched Xcode and looked at it in the Preferences:Accounts pane, I had some old profiles and tried to delete them, but they didn’t all delete. The right click on the profile line to open the enclosing folder was wonderful! I just dragged all my old profiles into the trash, figuring to download the ones I needed. But, then the XCode list of profiles didn’t show up as downloads. Probably something on the developer site didn’t update them, because they did show up and the web site. So, I downloaded the profile manually from the developer site and dragged it into the correct folder (which I found by right clicking on the Preferences:Accounts profile line). It showed up and, to my surprise, it loaded onto my iPhone. Whoopee!

Wow, I’m so happy that now I have a bunch of unplanned time, so I’ll go have a glass of wine and drink a toast to you.

Best,
Bill

> [...]
>> - open the iOS tab
>> - find the relevant Provisioning Profile in the ‘Profile’ drop-down (there should only be a single profile with your app’s name in the list)
>> - save your app
>> - try building an iOS standalone
>>

>> You should now have built a new version of your app that can be installed on your new device.
>>

>> BTW the reason I recommend not clicking the ‘download’ button on the Developer Portal is that getting Xcode to do the downloading is neater and means it’s easier to ensure you only have a single and valid Provisioning Profile for each of your development apps on your machine for LiveCode to access
>>
>> One other thing - I always add “ - development” or “ - distribution” to profile names so that when it comes to adding the correct one from the LiveCode drop-down I can be sure I’m adding the correct type of profile…

Http://es.earthednet.org