remote debugging just stopped being available.

remote debugging just stopped being available.

I'm sure I've seen this question on the list ... but just can't find the
right search term to find it :-)

I've been using the remote debugger (on Android, with 9.0.0DP8
Business), for the last day or so. And then tonight it just suddenly,
for no reason I can think of, stopped asking me if I wanted a remote
debug session.

How do I get it back ?

Did I do something to make it go in a huff ?

Thanks

Alex.

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 9:03 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm sure I've seen this question on the list ... but just can't find the right search term to find it :-)
>
> I've been using the remote debugger (on Android, with 9.0.0DP8 Business), for the last day or so. And then tonight it just suddenly, for no reason I can think of, stopped asking me if I wanted a remote debug session.
>
> How do I get it back ?
>
> Did I do something to make it go in a huff ?

This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.

Cheers

Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

I'm having a slightly different problem on ios that I'm trying to diagnose
- doing remote debugging with mergAV causes the mobile app to crash.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 5 Sep 2017, at 9:03 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure I've seen this question on the list ... but just can't find the
> right search term to find it :-)
> >
> > I've been using the remote debugger (on Android, with 9.0.0DP8
> Business), for the last day or so. And then tonight it just suddenly, for
> no reason I can think of, stopped asking me if I wanted a remote debug
> session.
> >
> > How do I get it back ?
> >
> > Did I do something to make it go in a huff ?
>
> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try
> temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Too late - it just came back again.

I'm on MacOS 10.10.5 - no extra firewall or security software running.

Now that I'm alert to it, if it happens again I'll (likely) notice it
immediately, and take more note of what happened just before it.

Thanks

Alex.

On 05/09/2017 00:09, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 9:03 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure I've seen this question on the list ... but just can't find the right search term to find it :-)
>>
>> I've been using the remote debugger (on Android, with 9.0.0DP8 Business), for the last day or so. And then tonight it just suddenly, for no reason I can think of, stopped asking me if I wanted a remote debug session.
>>
>> How do I get it back ?
>>
>> Did I do something to make it go in a huff ?
> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Mine never did come back. I haven't seen it in months.

On 9/4/17 6:41 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:

> Too late - it just came back again.
>
> I'm on MacOS 10.10.5 - no extra firewall or security software running.
>
> Now that I'm alert to it, if it happens again I'll (likely) notice it
> immediately, and take more note of what happened just before it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.
>

> On 05/09/2017 00:09, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 9:03 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure I've seen this question on the list ... but just can't find
>>> the right search term to find it :-)
>>>
>>> I've been using the remote debugger (on Android, with 9.0.0DP8
>>> Business), for the last day or so. And then tonight it just suddenly,
>>> for no reason I can think of, stopped asking me if I wanted a remote
>>> debug session.
>>>
>>> How do I get it back ?
>>>
>>> Did I do something to make it go in a huff ?
>> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try
>> temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Actually this isn't really fair, I haven't set it up for some time. Maybe
I'll try it again.

On September 4, 2017 8:12:02 PM "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mine never did come back. I haven't seen it in months.
>
> On 9/4/17 6:41 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
>> Too late - it just came back again.
>>
>> I'm on MacOS 10.10.5 - no extra firewall or security software running.
>>
>> Now that I'm alert to it, if it happens again I'll (likely) notice it
>> immediately, and take more note of what happened just before it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alex.

>>> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try
>>> temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

I have never been able to get it working (except in iOS simulator) - in the past I’ve tried all sorts of things (including booking a session at my local Apple shop to see if they could find any problem with the bluetooth etc on my mbp and various iOS devices - never a glimmer of anything - maybe at some stage in the future when I get a new dev machine…

Kind regards

Dave

> Mine never did come back. I haven't seen it in months.
>
> On 9/4/17 6:41 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
>
> > Too late - it just came back again.
> >
> > I'm on MacOS 10.10.5 - no extra firewall or security software running.
> >
> > Now that I'm alert to it, if it happens again I'll (likely) notice it
> > immediately, and take more note of what happened just before it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Alex.

> >> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try
> >> temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 11:26 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Dave Kilroy via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I have never been able to get it working (except in iOS simulator) - in the past I’ve tried all sorts of things (including booking a session at my local Apple shop to see if they could find any problem with the bluetooth etc on my mbp and various iOS devices - never a glimmer of anything - maybe at some stage in the future when I get a new dev machine…

    Kind regards

    Dave

    > Mine never did come back. I haven't seen it in months.
    >
    > On 9/4/17 6:41 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
    >
    > > Too late - it just came back again.
    > >
    > > I'm on MacOS 10.10.5 - no extra firewall or security software running.
    > >
    > > Now that I'm alert to it, if it happens again I'll (likely) notice it
    > > immediately, and take more note of what happened just before it.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Alex.

    > >> This does sound a bit like what Jacque has experienced. Can you try
    > >> temporarily disabling any firewalls or web shields and testing.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >>
    > >> Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...

Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)

It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.

Cheers

Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Thanks Monte - that sounds pretty simple  :)

Problem is that my app loads in the simlulator then immediately quits – this is on LC 9.0.0 (dp 8) - it works fine in 8.1.6  :(

The first time I try ‘testing’ it I get a message along the lines of...

Unable to start simulation: The operation couldn’t be completed.
(PBSOpenApplicationErrorDomain error 1.)

...if that means anything.

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 11:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    > On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...

    Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)

    It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.

    Cheers

    Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Hmm… sometimes the engine expecting an external and it not being found looks like a crash at startup. If you look at the simulator log and there’s something like Startup error - <something> then that could be it. If it’s that then the remote debugger won’t have a chance to start at that point.

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:52 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Monte - that sounds pretty simple  :)
>
> Problem is that my app loads in the simlulator then immediately quits – this is on LC 9.0.0 (dp 8) - it works fine in 8.1.6  :(
>
> The first time I try ‘testing’ it I get a message along the lines of...
>
> Unable to start simulation: The operation couldn’t be completed.
> (PBSOpenApplicationErrorDomain error 1.)
>
> ...if that means anything.
>
> Terry...
>

> On 5/09/2017 11:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...
>
>    Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)
>
>    It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.
>
>    Cheers
>
>    Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Hi Monte - something like this?

Sep  5 12:07:27 51002-B114578 mdQuiz_QA[38329]: Startup error: failed to load module
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 assertiond[38283]: assertion failed: 14F2511 13C75: assertiond + 12188 [8CF1968D-3466-38B7-B225-3F6F5B64C552]: 0x1
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: HW kbd: Failed to set (null) as keyboard focus
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: BSXPCMessage received error for message: Connection interrupted
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: BSXPCMessage received error for message: Connection invalid
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimDevice.65EDADBA-A52F-46BB-B1D8-77671CAB8234.launchd_sim[38262] (UIKitApplication:com.unimelb.mdassess.quiz[0x13e2][38329]): Service exited due to signal: Abort trap: 6
Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: Application 'UIKitApplication:com.unimelb.mdassess.quiz[0x13e2]' crashed.

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 12:00 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hmm… sometimes the engine expecting an external and it not being found looks like a crash at startup. If you look at the simulator log and there’s something like Startup error - <something> then that could be it. If it’s that then the remote debugger won’t have a chance to start at that point.

    > On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:52 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks Monte - that sounds pretty simple  :)
    >
    > Problem is that my app loads in the simlulator then immediately quits – this is on LC 9.0.0 (dp 8) - it works fine in 8.1.6  :(
    >
    > The first time I try ‘testing’ it I get a message along the lines of...
    >
    > Unable to start simulation: The operation couldn’t be completed.
    > (PBSOpenApplicationErrorDomain error 1.)
    >
    > ...if that means anything.
    >
    > Terry...
    >
    >
    > On 5/09/2017 11:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...
    >
    >    Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)
    >
    >    It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.
    >
    >    Cheers
    >
    >    Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Yes exactly like that. So it’s a matter of trying to work out which of the externals you are using isn’t doing what it’s meant to do.

Cheers

Monte

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 12:11 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Monte - something like this?
>
> Sep  5 12:07:27 51002-B114578 mdQuiz_QA[38329]: Startup error: failed to load module
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 assertiond[38283]: assertion failed: 14F2511 13C75: assertiond + 12188 [8CF1968D-3466-38B7-B225-3F6F5B64C552]: 0x1
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: HW kbd: Failed to set (null) as keyboard focus
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: BSXPCMessage received error for message: Connection interrupted
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: BSXPCMessage received error for message: Connection invalid
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimDevice.65EDADBA-A52F-46BB-B1D8-77671CAB8234.launchd_sim[38262] (UIKitApplication:com.unimelb.mdassess.quiz[0x13e2][38329]): Service exited due to signal: Abort trap: 6
> Sep  5 12:07:28 51002-B114578 SpringBoard[38279]: Application 'UIKitApplication:com.unimelb.mdassess.quiz[0x13e2]' crashed.
>
> Terry...
>

> On 5/09/2017 12:00 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Hmm… sometimes the engine expecting an external and it not being found looks like a crash at startup. If you look at the simulator log and there’s something like Startup error - <something> then that could be it. If it’s that then the remote debugger won’t have a chance to start at that point.
>
>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:52 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Monte - that sounds pretty simple  :)
>>
>> Problem is that my app loads in the simlulator then immediately quits – this is on LC 9.0.0 (dp 8) - it works fine in 8.1.6  :(
>>
>> The first time I try ‘testing’ it I get a message along the lines of...
>>
>> Unable to start simulation: The operation couldn’t be completed.
>> (PBSOpenApplicationErrorDomain error 1.)
>>
>> ...if that means anything.
>>
>> Terry...
>>

>> On 5/09/2017 11:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...
>>
>>   Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)
>>
>>   It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.
>>
>>   Cheers
>>
>>   Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Ah, ok. Looks like it’s the date support library then. Not sure whether I actually need this – I just ticked it a while back (I’m using the select inclusions option in the standalone builder) because I do various date-based conversions (date items to seconds etc.) and assumed it was required??

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 12:15 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

    >> On 5/09/2017 11:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> On 5 Sep 2017, at 11:36 am, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Actually, what is the process for getting remote debugging to work on iOS – I’d be happy to get it working in the simulator to start with. I know that you need to use a business licensed version of LC 9 to have access to it, but beyond that...
    >>
    >>   Well in theory just click the Test button ;-)
    >>
    >>   It does depend on being able to open sockets to communicate with the standalone so the most likely issues will be firewall related. There was an issue with android requiring internet permission but that should be resolved in the latest DPs.
    >>
    >>   Cheers
    >>
    >>   Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Hmm…. I actually don’t know which date support library you are referring to.

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 12:30 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah, ok. Looks like it’s the date support library then. Not sure whether I actually need this – I just ticked it a while back (I’m using the select inclusions option in the standalone builder) because I do various date-based conversions (date items to seconds etc.) and assumed it was required??

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Interesting! If you go into the inclusions tab of the standalone builder it’s the first listed one that has an icon that looks like a black book (comes after the clock widget in my list).

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 12:35 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hmm…. I actually don’t know which date support library you are referring to.

    > On 5 Sep 2017, at 12:30 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Ah, ok. Looks like it’s the date support library then. Not sure whether I actually need this – I just ticked it a while back (I’m using the select inclusions option in the standalone builder) because I do various date-based conversions (date items to seconds etc.) and assumed it was required??

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Seems like it’s not required anyway. Would be interested to know what it does (or doesn’t do) though.

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 1:01 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Terry Judd via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Interesting! If you go into the inclusions tab of the standalone builder it’s the first listed one that has an icon that looks like a black book (comes after the clock widget in my list).

    Terry...

    On 5/09/2017 12:35 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

        Hmm…. I actually don’t know which date support library you are referring to.

        > On 5 Sep 2017, at 12:30 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
        >
        > Ah, ok. Looks like it’s the date support library then. Not sure whether I actually need this – I just ticked it a while back (I’m using the select inclusions option in the standalone builder) because I do various date-based conversions (date items to seconds etc.) and assumed it was required??

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

> On 5 Sep 2017, at 1:08 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Seems like it’s not required anyway. Would be interested to know what it does (or doesn’t do) though.

Can you open a report with a screenshot of the offending inclusion. Something isn’t right but I’m not sure what it is at this stage,

Cheers

Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

OK will do – it seems to be present in all version of LC 8 that I have (8.1.3, 8.1.4 and 8.1.6) as well as LC 9.0.0 (dp 8).

Terry...

On 5/09/2017 1:09 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Monte Goulding via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    > On 5 Sep 2017, at 1:08 pm, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Seems like it’s not required anyway. Would be interested to know what it does (or doesn’t do) though.

    Can you open a report with a screenshot of the offending inclusion. Something isn’t right but I’m not sure what it is at this stage,

    Cheers

    Monte

Re: remote debugging just stopped being available.

Bug 20327.

Terry...