representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
For the form at http://www.uscourts.gov/file/19456/download, I am trying to
replicate the fat little arrow to the right of question 1 (and so forth)>

When I paste into live code, though, it doesn't work, orator gets converted.

Does anyone know how to to keep this character in a livecode field?

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
It's Wingdings ASCII 63 size 10pt.

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:35 , Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the form at http://www.uscourts.gov/file/19456/download, I am trying to
> replicate the fat little arrow to the right of question 1 (and so forth)>
>
> When I paste into live code, though, it doesn't work, orator gets converted.
>
> Does anyone know how to to keep this character in a livecode field?
>
> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
This is quite odd. On my Mac, when I type a question mark with the WingDings font in Word I do NOT get a forward error I get something completely unrelated. If I copy it, then in the LC message box I enter put charToNum(the clipboarddata["text"]) I get 63, which is the character for question mark!!! What the...

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
I have checked this every which way. I converted the PDF to Word. Word says it's the wingdings font. LC tells me it is ascii 63. Either LC is lying, or else this character is getting converted somhow.

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:49 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is quite odd. On my Mac, when I type a question mark with the WingDings font in Word I do NOT get a forward error I get something completely unrelated. If I copy it, then in the LC message box I enter put charToNum(the clipboarddata["text"]) I get 63, which is the character for question mark!!! What the...

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
would this do?

put numToCodepoint(0x270D)

from
http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
These government pdfs are nasty in general, and made with something sloppy.

When I try pasting it into LibreOffice, I get nothing at al!
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
put the clipboardData ["htmltext"] & cr & cr & the clipboardData["rtftext"] produces:

{\rtf1\mac {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil \fcharset77 Wingdings;}{\f1\fnil \fcharset77 (Message);}}
{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;}
\pard \f0 \fs20 \cf1 \u61672?\f1 \fs22 \'00
}

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 12:01 , Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have checked this every which way. I converted the PDF to Word. Word says it's the wingdings font. LC tells me it is ascii 63. Either LC is lying, or else this character is getting converted somhow.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:49 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is quite odd. On my Mac, when I type a question mark with the WingDings font in Word I do NOT get a forward error I get something completely unrelated. If I copy it, then in the LC message box I enter put charToNum(the clipboarddata["text"]) I get 63, which is the character for question mark!!! What the...
>>
>> Bob S

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
That is the actual ASCII 63 wingdings character. He wants the right arrow, something not even IN the wingdings character set (at least on Mac).

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 12:04 , BNig via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> would this do?
>
> put numToCodepoint(0x270D)
>
> from
> http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
maybe he likes

put numToCodepoint(0x2794)

HEAVY WIDE-HEADED RIGHTWARDS ARROW' (U+2794)

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
> Bob S. wrote:
> {\rtf1\mac {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil \fcharset77 Wingdings;}{\f1\fnil \fcharset77 (Message);}}
> {\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;}
> \pard \f0 \fs20 \cf1 \u61672?\f1 \fs22 \'00}

So, on Mac it is numToCodepoint(61672) in font "Wingdings"

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Better. Not the exact one tho. The dingbat one is thicker. Honestly if all he needs is an icon, I always just zoom in 2x or 4x, get a screen shot of the character, and paste it into my favorite png editor. Bingo. Hi res graphic.

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 13:47 , BNig via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> maybe he likes
>
> put numToCodepoint(0x2794)
>
> HEAVY WIDE-HEADED RIGHTWARDS ARROW' (U+2794)
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
I get a square box with a question mark. If I paste the result of this in Word, I get what looks like a right curvong cat claw. :-)

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 14:21 , hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Bob S. wrote:
>> {\rtf1\mac {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil \fcharset77 Wingdings;}{\f1\fnil \fcharset77 (Message);}}
>> {\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;}
>> \pard \f0 \fs20 \cf1 \u61672?\f1 \fs22 \'00}
>
> So, on Mac it is numToCodepoint(61672) in font "Wingdings"

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Don't ask me what a curvong cat looks like. I meant CurvING. ;-)

Bob S

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 14:29 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I get a square box with a question mark. If I paste the result of this in Word, I get what looks like a right curvong cat claw. :-)

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
> Bob S. wrote
> Better. Not the exact one tho. The dingbat one is thicker.

I didn't name a fontsize.
The one you get in the rtftext (in your case fs20/2=10) is dependent on the scale of the pdf when you copied the char.

So the size should be related to the surronding textsize both in the pdf and the textfield.

Re: representing this character from a pdf

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is the actual ASCII 63 wingdings character. He wants the right
arrow, something not even IN the wingdings character set (at least on Mac).

I went into LibreOffice (where it won't paste this character from the pdf)
and used the insert special character to find the one that looked right.

I pasted this in one, and it does seem to be windings, size 12.

I then found an error in my maintenance routines:  it checked for the text
font of the last char being "Windings", rather than "Wingdings" in a
case-sensitive section.

So then I set a script to loop through every field n the stack, and when it
found offset("",the text of tgTg) >0, it sets the textFont to windings and
the textSize to 12.

I'm not sure I have the same character, but it sure looks right.

And something funny is definitely going on . . .

Thanks so much; thus aspect of my forms *finally* looks right after a
couple of years . ..

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462