revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's
revHTTP ?

Thanks

Alex

P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free Simple
HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the HTML5
deployment guide recommend it rather than the Python SimpleHTTPServer
solution currently suggested. Building this on top of Andre's core code
would probably mean I'd get a working version, without too many bugs,
much more quickly than if I do it myself.

P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay function
easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my little app :-)

Re: revHTTP

Alex Tweedly wrote:
 > Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's
 > revHTTP ?

Andre stopped work on that a long time ago, and I haven't seen it linked
into his current site.

I also made a fork of the original mchttpd, and here's a copy with
minimal changes to allow it to work with modern browsers:
<http://fourthworld.net/lc/mchttpd-4W.zip>

I have a newer one I started poking around in that had some performance
improvements that made it half as fast as Apache, but since Apache is
already done and twice as fast I stopped working on it.

More recently we have yet another, from Monte:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-July/239327.html>

That was is reported to be somewhere in the LC install, but I haven't
turned it up either locally or at Github. I'm sure it's there, but a lot
of stuff is there. :)

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
https://bitbucket.org/andregarzia/revonrockets/src/b4262227f94fd5b4efec828b3c0e88650e222e49/RevHTTP/?at=default <https://bitbucket.org/andregarzia/revonrockets/src/b4262227f94fd5b4efec828b3c0e88650e222e49/RevHTTP/?at=default>

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 31.07.2017 um 21:22 schrieb Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's revHTTP ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex
>
> P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free Simple HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the HTML5 deployment guide recommend it rather than the Python SimpleHTTPServer solution currently suggested. Building this on top of Andre's core code would probably mean I'd get a working version, without too many bugs, much more quickly than if I do it myself.
>
> P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay function easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my little app :-)

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Alex

You could use the new httpd library that is already included in LiveCode 9 for this. Indeed this is what it was created for. We build a standalone with all our tests and serve it with the library. What would be ideal is to create a deploy library similar to the the iOS and Android ones. That way the Test button would build and launch the standalone in your browser.

Cheers

Monte

> On 1 Aug 2017, at 5:22 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's revHTTP ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex
>
> P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free Simple HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the HTML5 deployment guide recommend it rather than the Python SimpleHTTPServer solution currently suggested. Building this on top of Andre's core code would probably mean I'd get a working version, without too many bugs, much more quickly than if I do it myself.
>
> P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay function easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my little app :-)

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Alex,

it´s include in LC 9 DP7 and up.

Please note that you have to manually load it with
start using stack "httpd"

This is a known issue and was mentioned in the “Known issues” in the release emails, but unfortunately not in the release notes.

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 31.07.2017 um 22:18 schrieb Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Alex
>
> You could use the new httpd library that is already included in LiveCode 9 for this. Indeed this is what it was created for. We build a standalone with all our tests and serve it with the library. What would be ideal is to create a deploy library similar to the the iOS and Android ones. That way the Test button would build and launch the standalone in your browser.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte
>
>> On 1 Aug 2017, at 5:22 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's revHTTP ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free Simple HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the HTML5 deployment guide recommend it rather than the Python SimpleHTTPServer solution currently suggested. Building this on top of Andre's core code would probably mean I'd get a working version, without too many bugs, much more quickly than if I do it myself.
>>
>> P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay function easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my little app :-)

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 1 Aug 2017, at 6:34 am, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> it´s include in LC 9 DP7 and up.
>
> Please note that you have to manually load it with
> start using stack "httpd"
>
> This is a known issue and was mentioned in the “Known issues” in the release emails, but unfortunately not in the release notes.

That will be fixed in dp-9.

Cheers

Monte

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hey Alex,

I have multiple sources for it here. This is in the most recent location:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0636wl30z4btg1u/RevHTTP.zip?dl=0

Be aware that this httpd was never safe. It handles only one connection at
a time. We can build better stuff these days. I haven't tested the new
httpd library, I actually have a lot of difficulty in keeping up to date
with the recent libraries in LC because the docs are spread in release
notes. I wish there was a more comprehensive documentation effort going on.

om om
andre

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to) Andre's
> revHTTP ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex
>
> P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free Simple
> HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the HTML5 deployment
> guide recommend it rather than the Python SimpleHTTPServer solution
> currently suggested. Building this on top of Andre's core code would
> probably mean I'd get a working version, without too many bugs, much more
> quickly than if I do it myself.
>
> P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay function
> easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my little app :-)

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 4:02 am, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wish there was a more comprehensive documentation effort going on.

Hi Andre

Can you give a little more detail on your complaint here. All our new libraries are documented with lcdoc block comments which are extracted during the build and appear in the documentation. At the moment you need to choose the extension you are interested in as they don’t appear in the LiveCode Script api but in the future we will change this so all things available from LiveCode script are in the LiveCode Script API section.

Cheers

Monte

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks Andre.

I hadn't even known there was a new httpd library; now that I do know
about it, I'm pretty sure that's the best place to start (indeed, the
comments in the library include enough of a 'how to use' sample that you
can just copy/paste, fix up a couple of typos and have a working very
simple server).

I'm pretty sure that'll give me what I want - and I'm now just playing
with adding a couple of mini features to it.

Thanks

Alex.

On 01/08/2017 19:02, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Hey Alex,
>
> I have multiple sources for it here. This is in the most recent location:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0636wl30z4btg1u/RevHTTP.zip?dl=0
>
> Be aware that this httpd was never safe. It handles only one
> connection at a time. We can build better stuff these days. I haven't
> tested the new httpd library, I actually have a lot of difficulty in
> keeping up to date with the recent libraries in LC because the docs
> are spread in release notes. I wish there was a more comprehensive
> documentation effort going on.
>
> om om
> andre
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode
> wrote:
>
>     Does anyone have a copy of (or a currently working link to)
>     Andre's revHTTP ?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Alex
>
>     P.S. I'm thinking of making a script-only stack that is a UI-free
>     Simple HTTP server - and then suggesting to Livecode Ltd that the
>     HTML5 deployment guide recommend it rather than the Python
>     SimpleHTTPServer solution currently suggested. Building this on
>     top of Andre's core code would probably mean I'd get a working
>     version, without too many bugs, much more quickly than if I do it
>     myself.
>
>     P.P.S and as a bonus, I'd then be able to add the bridge/relay
>     function easily, so I can download off-domain web pages for my
>     little app :-)

> http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
> http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have to admit, I had the same complaint as Andre - I didn't see
anything about it in the dictionary.

OK, now that I've looked harder, I see them :-)

But I had no idea there was library documentation within the "API"
drop-down.

Brings up another question - I see there's a 'getopt' library for
parsing command line arguments, but I can't find a way to run with
command line arguments. I thought it was, in my case,
<pathtoengine>/Livecode-Indy -u myscript.lc

but that simply says "Startup error - cannot run in command line mode"

Is there some other new way to do this ?

-- Alex.

On 01/08/2017 21:18, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

>> On 2 Aug 2017, at 4:02 am, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I wish there was a more comprehensive documentation effort going on.
> Hi Andre
>
> Can you give a little more detail on your complaint here. All our new libraries are documented with lcdoc block comments which are extracted during the build and appear in the documentation. At the moment you need to choose the extension you are interested in as they don’t appear in the LiveCode Script api but in the future we will change this so all things available from LiveCode script are in the LiveCode Script API section.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: revHTTP

On 31/07/2017 21:18, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> You could use the new httpd library that is already included in LiveCode 9 for this. Indeed this is what it was created for. We build a standalone with all our tests and serve it with the library.
Yep - found it, and now playing with it. As I said in the other email, I
couldn't find the docs, but simply ticking "Show IDE Stacks in Lists"
and then using the project browser got me there. I love Livecode -
there's always another way :-)
>   What would be ideal is to create a deploy library similar to the the iOS and Android ones. That way the Test button would build and launch the standalone in your browser.

That would be useful - but it's not what I have in mind.

I'll describe what I'm trying to do in a separate rant ....

Thanks - and thanks for all the help, Monte, Richard, Matthias.
-- Alex.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hey Monte,

Yes, I can give more details, I am not talking about library documentation
as it is generated by lcdoc but the overall state of the documentation. The
main issue for me is a UX one. The built-in LC dictionary UI is not good.
For example, on my Surface 4 Pro, I can't change the little dropdown to
select the httpd API as the popup list is larger than my screen and does
not scroll with the trackpad. That is just an example, a simple list of
opportunities for enhancement would be:

* Provide sample stacks for all LC dictionary entries (multiple entries can
share the same sample but no entry can be without at least one sample). The
sample stacks need to be something that the person can click and run.
* A better wiki or comment system.
* Libraries need to be more discoverable.

Right now we have documentation spread all over the place. There are things
in release notes, things in emails, stuff in the dictionary, stuff only on
the website, and finding things is quite hard. The navigation is
challenging, for example, searching httpd on the website yields nothing. I
had to go to github and look for the source.

om om
andre

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 2 Aug 2017, at 4:02 am, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I wish there was a more comprehensive documentation effort going on.
>
> Hi Andre
>
> Can you give a little more detail on your complaint here. All our new
> libraries are documented with lcdoc block comments which are extracted
> during the build and appear in the documentation. At the moment you need to
> choose the extension you are interested in as they don’t appear in the
> LiveCode Script api but in the future we will change this so all things
> available from LiveCode script are in the LiveCode Script API section.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Friends,

I just looked at the source code for the new httpd library, it is quite
similar in "what it is doing" to mchttpd and my own revhttpd. Basically
both of them use LC to accept and process requests. I had the impression
that the new library was using some C/C++ based implementation.

The implementation Monte made is very minimalist and elegant. It is easy to
follow and can even serve as a base for more ambitious projects. It suffers
from the same problems as mchttpd and revhttpd though which is, it can't
handle any form of concurrency. If your callback handler blocks, there is a
great chance that any other requests will be discarded (unless LC is
actually buffering and queueing them which would be awesome and also solve
the same issue on the other implementations).

om om
andre

On 08/01/2017 03:48 PM, Andre Garzia via use-livecode wrote:

> Right now we have documentation spread all over the place. There are things
> in release notes, things in emails, stuff in the dictionary, stuff only on
> the website, and finding things is quite hard. The navigation is
> challenging, for example, searching httpd on the website yields nothing. I
> had to go to github and look for the source.

+1

Re: revHTTP

On 8/1/17 5:48 PM, Andre Garzia via use-livecode wrote:
> Right now we have documentation spread all over the place. There are things
> in release notes, things in emails, stuff in the dictionary, stuff only on
> the website, and finding things is quite hard.

I read the release notes with every new version, but what happens to me
often is that I'll find something new I'm interested in but later I
can't remember what it's called. By the time I need to use it, I've
forgotten what I need to look up in the dictionary. It's hard to locate
a feature if you can't remember even a part of the name.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thats how I feel too :-)

Em 1 de ago de 2017 20:04, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> On 8/1/17 5:48 PM, Andre Garzia via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Right now we have documentation spread all over the place. There are
>> things
>> in release notes, things in emails, stuff in the dictionary, stuff only on
>> the website, and finding things is quite hard.
>>

> I read the release notes with every new version, but what happens to me
> often is that I'll find something new I'm interested in but later I can't
> remember what it's called. By the time I need to use it, I've forgotten
> what I need to look up in the dictionary. It's hard to locate a feature if
> you can't remember even a part of the name.

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 8:57 am, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just looked at the source code for the new httpd library, it is quite
> similar in "what it is doing" to mchttpd and my own revhttpd. Basically
> both of them use LC to accept and process requests. I had the impression
> that the new library was using some C/C++ based implementation.
>
> The implementation Monte made is very minimalist and elegant. It is easy to
> follow and can even serve as a base for more ambitious projects. It suffers
> from the same problems as mchttpd and revhttpd though which is, it can't
> handle any form of concurrency. If your callback handler blocks, there is a
> great chance that any other requests will be discarded (unless LC is
> actually buffering and queueing them which would be awesome and also solve
> the same issue on the other implementations).

It is only really intended to be a simple implementation to use to serve something on localhost. As I mentioned previously it was only implemented for serving a HTML5 standalone in one of our test tools but generalised into a library for reuse for a number of things (HTML5 deploy library & FileMaker plugin web view, users serving things like reports in a local browser). I would not use it on a public webserver although it probably could handle some low traffic. It has not had any load testing done on it but I’m really not sure why it would drop requests unless the client has a very short timeout or each request takes a long time to handle. Of course if there’s a thousand requests coming in a second or something you’re on your own ;-)

Cheers

Monte

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks for your thoughts Andre

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 8:48 am, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I can give more details, I am not talking about library documentation as it is generated by lcdoc but the overall state of the documentation. The main issue for me is a UX one. The built-in LC dictionary UI is not good. For example, on my Surface 4 Pro, I can't change the little dropdown to select the httpd API as the popup list is larger than my screen and does not scroll with the trackpad.

Yes, we know this is not right. Plans are afoot to merge all the extension APIs into the LiveCode script one which will solve the problem above.

> That is just an example, a simple list of opportunities for enhancement would be:
>
> * Provide sample stacks for all LC dictionary entries (multiple entries can share the same sample but no entry can be without at least one sample). The sample stacks need to be something that the person can click and run.

Yes we need some kind of related resources thing where we can setup two way links between in a lesson, example stack or interactive tutorial.

I’ve opened a report here http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20215 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20215>

My suggestion is the tags be expanded to all resources rather than just api so it’s easy to setup a blob of resources about a thing.

> * A better wiki or comment system.

We are encouraging people that have something to contribute to do so directly to the document as that way it both gets reviewed and more visibility. I know this presents a bit of a hurdle for some potential contributors but it also means there isn’t yet another place for good information to get lost in.

> * Libraries need to be more discoverable.

Indeed (mentioned above)

> Right now we have documentation spread all over the place. There are things in release notes, things in emails, stuff in the dictionary, stuff only on the website, and finding things is quite hard. The navigation is challenging, for example, searching httpd on the website yields nothing. I had to go to github and look for the source.

In the past it was possible for stuff to be in the release notes but not documented in the dictionary but that shouldn’t be the case with anything new and anything that is not in the API please open a report on.

We know we need to do better with the docs, however, there are a *lot* of them so community contributions really do need to be a big part of getting them right.  Adding tags is a good place to start.

Cheers

Monte

Re: revHTTP

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hopefully the UX in DP9 will improve this issue.  The drop-down menu for
APIs will scroll if taller than the window height.