Quantcast

revZip functions, compressing and extracting folder for transfer

revZip functions, compressing and extracting folder for transfer

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Is there an overview or tutorial on how to use the revZip functions?

Do I have to use each individual function to manually describe the process
of creating and using a zip archive?

Like, to create the archive, do I have to write my own code to open it,
repeat for each file and/or each folder, find and specify the name and
contents and format of each file, then close it, then remember to delete it
later...or is there a command somewhere that just takes a folder and
returns a zipped version of that folder?

The same question for extracting an archive. Do I have to open it,
enumerate the files, repeat for each file and/or folder, figure out that
file's name, contents, and format, copy the file to an appropriate new
file, then close it, then remember to delete it later...or is there a
command that just takes a *.zip and returns an extracted folder?

I already spent a couple hours trying various combinations of quotes around
the parameters to add something to an archive before I figured out put the
data into the URL as a binfile manually. Then this morning I ran across a
different revZip function to add a file directly, instead of raw data,
which I guess is what I was doing. So it would be nice to find out that
there's already a function that does all of the obvious zip archive stuff
automatically and correctly.

Re: revZip functions, compressing and extracting folder for transfer

On 3/4/17 11:25 AM, Matt Maier via use-livecode wrote:
> Is there an overview or tutorial on how to use the revZip functions?

Under the Help menu, choose Sample Stacks and search for "revZip". There
are a couple of stacks there. Also under the Help menu, choose
Tutorials. There is one lesson on using revZip.

I think there used to be a sample stack included inside the Mac app
bundle, or inside the Windows app folder, but I don't see it now in LC
9. It may be in an older version.

Re: revZip functions, compressing and extracting folder for transfer

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Here is a sanitized version of a simple zip library stack I use in
projects. It keeps me from having to get down into the nuts and bolts
every time I want to zip a file:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8z27p8cy5ir1v9/libZip.livecode?dl=0

HTH -
Phil Davis