revolution taking up 100% of cpu, again

Jon-3
I reported this IDE problem months ago, with a different application,
but here I go again.  I seem to have a talent for creating problem
stacks like this.  Last time it was a logic error in one of my handlers.

I am writing an application to test a web site I've written.  Once every
TBD (typically 15) minutes, it "wakes up" and Posts some data to each of
three versions of the same web site (supposed to be the same code, only
on three different servers, one of which is local to my machine).  It
then inspects the returned HTML to see if the requested operation was
successful.

I wrote the program to "wake up" every 10 seconds and see whether it is
time to go yet or not. Two strange things are happening.

1) while the application is supposed to be hitting each web site/server
once every TBD minutes, it seems as if it may be hitting it 4-5 times,
all within a fraction of a second.  This undesired behavior (AKA bug?)
has allowed me to find and fix a number of errors in the web site, but I
would like to understand how and why it is occurring.  My first thought
is that multiple Sends are getting triggered when I only wanted one to
be sent.  I altered the Send statement to be  included in the following
procedure, to try to control this:

on SendToMyself s
  local pm, str, theLine
  put the pendingMessages into pm
  repeat for each line theLine in pm
    put char 1 to 3 of item 3 of theLine into str
    if (str <> "rev") then
      cancel item 1 of theLine
    end if
  end repeat
  if (s = 0) then
    send "TestTheReports" to the target
    else
    send "TestTheReports" to the target in s seconds
    end if

Can anyone see a problem with the way this is written?

2) if I run the stack for 20 hours or so, and then click on the Close
icon, Rev first asks if I want to save the application, after which Rev
starts to use 100% of the CPU.  I have to go kill the IDE, even though,
in theory, nothing is running any longer.  This can also happen if I
switch from Run mode to Edit mode in the IDE, at which point I lose
EVERYTHING I've worked on (no Save is possible).  I Save the application
every chance I get because of this.  If I had to guess, I would think
that the IDE is losing it over residual Sends/messages (see above)

I tried monitoring the Messages, but did not see the spray of messages
that I had thought that I might: I only see that one message every 10
seconds.

Any thoughts about this situation?  I can provide the stack if you wish...

:)

Jon

Re: revolution taking up 100% of cpu, again

masmit
Why are you cancelling all pending messages that don't start with
"rev"? Perhaps, if the timing is unlucky, you're interfering with a
close stack message?

Mark

On 24 Aug 2005, at 16:29, Jon wrote:

> I reported this IDE problem months ago, with a different application,
> but here I go again.  I seem to have a talent for creating problem
> stacks like this.  Last time it was a logic error in one of my
> handlers.
>
> I am writing an application to test a web site I've written.  Once
> every TBD (typically 15) minutes, it "wakes up" and Posts some data to
> each of three versions of the same web site (supposed to be the same
> code, only on three different servers, one of which is local to my
> machine).  It then inspects the returned HTML to see if the requested
> operation was successful.
>
> I wrote the program to "wake up" every 10 seconds and see whether it
> is time to go yet or not. Two strange things are happening.
>
> 1) while the application is supposed to be hitting each web
> site/server once every TBD minutes, it seems as if it may be hitting
> it 4-5 times, all within a fraction of a second.  This undesired
> behavior (AKA bug?) has allowed me to find and fix a number of errors
> in the web site, but I would like to understand how and why it is
> occurring.  My first thought is that multiple Sends are getting
> triggered when I only wanted one to be sent.  I altered the Send
> statement to be  included in the following procedure, to try to
> control this:
>
> on SendToMyself s  local pm, str, theLine
>  put the pendingMessages into pm
>  repeat for each line theLine in pm
>    put char 1 to 3 of item 3 of theLine into str
>    if (str <> "rev") then
>      cancel item 1 of theLine
>    end if
>  end repeat
>  if (s = 0) then
>    send "TestTheReports" to the target
>    else
>    send "TestTheReports" to the target in s seconds
>    end if
>
> Can anyone see a problem with the way this is written?
>

> 2) if I run the stack for 20 hours or so, and then click on the Close
> icon, Rev first asks if I want to save the application, after which
> Rev starts to use 100% of the CPU.  I have to go kill the IDE, even
> though, in theory, nothing is running any longer.  This can also
> happen if I switch from Run mode to Edit mode in the IDE, at which
> point I lose EVERYTHING I've worked on (no Save is possible).  I Save
> the application every chance I get because of this.  If I had to
> guess, I would think that the IDE is losing it over residual
> Sends/messages (see above)
>
> I tried monitoring the Messages, but did not see the spray of messages
> that I had thought that I might: I only see that one message every 10
> seconds.
>
> Any thoughts about this situation?  I can provide the stack if you
> wish...
>
> :)
>
> Jon

Re: revolution taking up 100% of cpu, again

Jon-3
Mark:

This routine is only called every 10 seconds, when it is time to
schedule myself to wake up again.  I guess what I need to do is
understand what "my" message is named, and then only cancel it.

Note that this 100% CPU situation only occurs periodically: I can go for
hours without it happening, so I doubt that it is [immediately] caused
by this code.

Very confusing, to me.

Jon

Mark Smith wrote:

> [...]
>> Rev starts to use 100% of the CPU.  I have to go kill the IDE, even
>> though, in theory, nothing is running any longer.  This can also
>> happen if I switch from Run mode to Edit mode in the IDE, at which
>> point I lose EVERYTHING I've worked on (no Save is possible).  I Save
>> the application every chance I get because of this.  If I had to
>> guess, I would think that the IDE is losing it over residual
>> Sends/messages (see above)
>>
>> I tried monitoring the Messages, but did not see the spray of
>> messages that I had thought that I might: I only see that one message
>> every 10 seconds.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this situation?  I can provide the stack if you
>> wish...
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Jon

Re: revolution taking up 100% of cpu, again

Good point: I changed it so that it only kills the appropriate message,
if there are duplicates...

on SendToMyself s
  local pm, str, theLine
  put the pendingMessages into pm
  repeat for each line theLine in pm
    if item 3 of theLine = "TestTheReports" THEN
      cancel item 1 of theLine
    end if
  end repeat
  if (s = 0) then
    send "TestTheReports" to the target
  else
    send "TestTheReports" to the target in s seconds
  end if
end SendToMyself

Jon

Mark Smith wrote:

> [...]
>> Rev starts to use 100% of the CPU.  I have to go kill the IDE, even
>> though, in theory, nothing is running any longer.  This can also
>> happen if I switch from Run mode to Edit mode in the IDE, at which
>> point I lose EVERYTHING I've worked on (no Save is possible).  I Save
>> the application every chance I get because of this.  If I had to
>> guess, I would think that the IDE is losing it over residual
>> Sends/messages (see above)
>>
>> I tried monitoring the Messages, but did not see the spray of
>> messages that I had thought that I might: I only see that one message
>> every 10 seconds.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this situation?  I can provide the stack if you
>> wish...
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Jon

Re: revolution taking up 100% of cpu, again

Your message is named whatever you named it - in this case
"TestTheReports".

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the CPU usage issue - I just
thought that cancelling all your programmes pending messages
willy-nilly might have something to do with not being able to close or
save...or might cause other problems down the track.

Cheers,

Mark