saving file on android to use as email attachment

saving file on android to use as email attachment

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
 I have an app that creates a pdf, then opens the client’s mail app and attaches the pdf to an email. This works fine with iOS and used to work fine on android. However I now have customers reporting problems on android. These problems appear to be connected to where the pdf file is saved. I had been using  * specialFolderPath("external documents”) * but recently found that gMail would no longer accept that location. I switched to * specialFolderPath("temporary”) * which worked for gMail but seems to produce an i/o error with Microsoft Outlook. I could present the user with a preference setting so that the app would know in advance which path to use… but I would like to avoid that if possible.  Is there a read/write location that works with both / all?

In the case of this app, another solution might be to just send everything through my own mail server and simply bypass the user’s mail app. But that puts other restrictions on the user that I’m hoping to avoid.

Regards,

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
booth    1-800-615-0867
mobile  360-920-0715

RE: saving file on android to use as email attachment

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
If there is no immediate clean solution offered on the list then my first instinct is to use the SD card. This assumes that everyone has "external storage". Most do. So the edge case would be...if you can't write to external storage then ask for the preference.

No prose from me.
JLG, made me smile, Nice....

Ralph DiMola
IT Director