scancodes

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
So . . . messing around, as one does, I started to think about scancodes:
that is to say, signals sent by USB devices (and others)
when keys are pressed . . .

The main reason for this is that if I have this sort of code in a
LiveCode stack:

on rawKeyDown RD
  put RD
end rawKeyDown

on rawKeyUp RU
   put RU
end rawKeyUp

RD and RU will be the same,

while the actual scancodes sent from the keyboard to the computer should
be different for
keyDown and keyUp.

I realise that this is fairly silly unless one wants one's program to do
different things from a keyDown to a keyUp, and that there are
comparatively straightforward
ways to ensure this without accessing the scancodes.

Notwithstanding . . .

Re: scancodes

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Don't think of a key press and key release as if they should be 2 different
can codes, instead think of them as as being state changes.  Like a light.
Send power to the lightbulb, the light is on. Remove power from the bulb,
the light is off.  The bulb is still the same bulb.   Same with the
keyboard and keycodes.. The light is on! (key pressed)  The light is off!
(key released)  The identifier for the key (the scancode) remains the
same.  Or from a livecode perspective.. Click and hold a button and on
mousedown, report the target.  on mouseup, the same target is reported due
to a state change.  Click begun (mousedown)  click completed (mouseup).  So
no, the scancodes shouldn't be different.  (If you play with an arduino,
the same applies there.  Checking and changing pin states, setting a
voltage high, or low, but the pin assignment remains the same, only its
state changes from high to low, IE on to off)