script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
For several years I've had a system on JaguarPC involving a simple
script that calls Livecode server, with script and server engine in the
cgi-bin folder. Last weekend we were moved to 'sagitarius,' a 64bit
server, and our system has broken.

I tried uploading the 64bit version (from
LiveCodeServer-8_1_6-Linux-x86_64.zip) and setting permissions to 755,
but without success. JaguarPC isn't familiar with Livecode and hasn't
been able to suggest anything; the older, 32bit server we were on,
peach, has been retired and we can't go back to it.

Any ideas of what to try? Our system hasn't needed any of the drivers or
externals that come with the livecode-server file.

Thanks!

Curt
--
Sent from Postbox

Re: script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Curt,

On 2017-09-08 17:53, Curtis Ford via use-livecode wrote:
> I tried uploading the 64bit version (from
> LiveCodeServer-8_1_6-Linux-x86_64.zip) and setting permissions to 755,
> but without success. JaguarPC isn't familiar with Livecode and hasn't
> been able to suggest anything; the older, 32bit server we were on,
> peach, has been retired and we can't go back to it.

Do you get any error information? Or is it just an Internal Server Error
500 page you get when you try and access it via a CGI?

It could be that the JaguarPC installation doesn't have all the
dependencies needed by the server engine. You can find out if this is
the problem if you have SSH access by doing:

   ldd <server engine exe>

This should tell you whether the dependencies on the system are
compatible with the LiveCode Server engine - 'ldd' checks that the
system has all the dynamic libraries installed which an executable
implicitly requires to run.

If all of them seem to be in order, then you can try running the engine
from the command-line - if it runs from the command-line, then that
suggests it is something to do with the setup of the web-server / CGI
rather than the engine.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

re: script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
It's the 500 internal server error.

I'm pretty - er, very new to troubleshooting on a server. I don't have
SSH access. Is there a way to get a list of the dependencies of the
32bit and 64bit engines that I could forward to JaguarPC? I know someone
else has the 32bit engine working on JaguarPC, though it may be on a
different server.

How would I run the engine from the command line?

Thanks!

Curt
--
Sent from Postbox

re: script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
The other person is me. I had a terrible time after Jaguarpc moved me to a
64 bit machine, but using the old 3.5 engine and changing the extension
from ".mt" to  ". cgi" made it work again.

I do remember Richard trying to get it to work and finding something wrong
but I can't recall the bug report. Maybe he remembers. Once I got it to
work I didn't investigate farther.

Curtis Ford wrote:

 > It's the 500 internal server error.
 >
 > I'm pretty - er, very new to troubleshooting on a server. I don't have
 > SSH access.

Shared hosting without SSH is useful in a few cases where you're only
using stock packages (Wordpress, Django, etc.) without any customization.

For any custom CGI use SSH is IMO a requirement.  There's so much you
can do with it, and so little without it.

With SSH it's like being at the computer.  Without it, it's like trying
to build a ship in a bottle where you can't even remove the cork. ;)

I believe JaguarPC offers SSH on their shared hosting.  It may only take
a request to their Support team to activate it.

Once you have the ability to shell into the account it's almost as nice
as having a VPS but without the admin responsibility.

re: script/engine broken when moved to 64bit server at JaguarPC

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
JaguarPC hasn't answered the question about dependencies directly,
though they did pass on this:

<snip> /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or
directory<snip>

..which suggests a dependency issue, I guess?

But they've also said
> Correct, the initial error was due to using a 32bit compiled static
> binary. The second issue is it's looking for a config file that isn't
> there. You would need to upload a working config file. Does this make
> better sense?
We've never had to deal with a config file before. Is this necessary for
using the 64bit server?
--
Sent from Postbox