searching all scripts in an application

Jon-3
Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in all
scripts in a stack?

:)

Jon

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jon,

Yes:
Control F :-)

Le 24 août 05 à 17:25, Jon a écrit :

> Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in
> all scripts in a stack?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Jon wrote:
> Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in all
> scripts in a stack?

My devolution toolkit includes a script search tool that searches either
all scripts in a stack or all scripts in the current message path.

It's free to use:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/>

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: searching all scripts in an application

David Burgun
That's why I want to (and have) export my scripts as text files. You
can then search and modify them as a group, do group replaces and
then put them back aagin!!!

All the Best
Dave

>Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in
>all scripts in a stack?
>
>:)
>
>Jon

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Richard Gaskin
David Burgun wrote:
> That's why I want to (and have) export my scripts as text files. You can
> then search and modify them as a group, do group replaces and then put
> them back aagin!!!

It's usually faster and simpler to do that in place.

Eric, got a plugin for that?  I know I've seen one or two around....

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Charles Hartman
(off-list)
Richard,

This is terrific -- I just downloaded it & used it for ten minutes
and I'm already hooked. Frankly, it seems much more useful (and far
less crash-prone) than the Daniels & Mara suite.

I did run into one bug: I'm working on a substack, with the Object
Browser and the Properties palette available. Properties is showing
the stack. When I pull down the menu at the top and select the
current card instead, I get: "There was an error executing a script
in stack 4WProps. No more information is available because the stack
is password protected." Then Properties *does* seem (by its title) to
switch to showing the card.

Charles Hartman

On Aug 24, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>
>> Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send"
>> in all scripts in a stack?
>>

> My devolution toolkit includes a script search tool that searches
> either all scripts in a stack or all scripts in the current message
> path.
>
> It's free to use:
> <http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/>
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Jon-3
Eric:

Can you explain to me how I was supposed to know that?  That is, where
in the UI, or in the Documentation, might I have come across that
feature?  That is, how did you find out about it?

:)

Jon

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Yes:
> Control F :-)
>
> Le 24 août 05 à 17:25, Jon a écrit :
>
>> Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in
>> all scripts in a stack?
>

> Best Regards from Paris,
>
> Eric Chatonet.
> So Smart Software
>
> For institutions, companies and associations
> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
> Free plugins and tutorials on my website

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Klaus major-k
Hi Jon,

> Eric:
>
> Can you explain to me how I was supposed to know that?
> That is, where in the UI, or in the Documentation, might I have
> come across that feature?

actually this was well hidden by the mean "IDE dept." of Rev in the last
item of menu "Edit".

HARD to find, that's for sure...

> That is, how did you find out about it?

Some of us actually have "installed" and pay some stool pidgeons in
scotland ;-)

> Jon

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Eric Chatonet
Hi Klaus,

I paid a lot for mine.
And you?
I'm particularly pleased with a Major one, called revListSpirit.

Le 24 août 05 à 20:57, Klaus Major a écrit :

> Some of us actually have "installed" and pay some stool pidgeons in
> scotland ;-)

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Klaus major-k
Hi Eric,

> Hi Klaus,
>
> I paid a lot for mine.
> And you?

i was lucky and got hold of a used one, actually an old
and wrecked down washington senator :-D

> I'm particularly pleased with a Major

Merci beaucoup, mon ami!

> one, called revListSpirit.

Ooops, ah, yes ;-)

> Le 24 août 05 à 20:57, Klaus Major a écrit :
>
>> Some of us actually have "installed" and pay some stool pidgeons
>> in scotland ;-)
>>

> Best Regards from Paris,
>
> Eric Chatonet.
> So Smart Software
>
> For institutions, companies and associations
> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
> Free plugins and tutorials on my website
> Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
> Email        [hidden email]/
> Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
> Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86

Best

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Jon-3
Klaus:

Thanks for your response.  I guess I was looking in the Script Editor
menus for text search facilities in scripts.  It never would have
occurred to me to look in the main Rev window for what I thought of as a
Script Editor feature.  Clearly, you think about these things
differently than I do.

:)

Jon

Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
>> Eric:
>>
>> Can you explain to me how I was supposed to know that?
>> That is, where in the UI, or in the Documentation, might I have  come
>> across that feature?
>

> actually this was well hidden by the mean "IDE dept." of Rev in the last
> item of menu "Edit".
>
> HARD to find, that's for sure...
>
>> That is, how did you find out about it?
>

> Some of us actually have "installed" and pay some stool pidgeons in
> scotland ;-)
>
>> Jon
>

> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> [hidden email]
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Klaus major-k
Hi Jon

> Klaus:
>
> Thanks for your response.  I guess I was looking in the Script
> Editor menus for text search facilities in scripts.  It never would
> have occurred to me to look in the main Rev window for what I
> thought of as a Script Editor feature.  Clearly, you think about
> these things differently than I do.

You bet!

Actually, when i am exploring a software with a mean IDE (and POOR
documentation
like Rev ;-) i place my fingers over CMD-Z, prick my ears and eyes
and select EVERY
menu item just to see what happens.

Obviously not a very popular method...

> :)
>
> Jon

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Le 24 août 05 à 21:15, Jon a écrit :

> Clearly, you think about these things differently than I do.

That's related to another thread: "OT: Computer Science in today's
market" ;-)

1. I like to explore all facets, documented or not, of any software.
2. I know that runRev guys are different from me (culture,
experience, etc.)
3. I fit :-)
4. So I am happy to be able to help you.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Klaus Major wrote:

 >> Le 24 août 05 à 20:57, Klaus Major a écrit :
 >>> Some of us actually have "installed" and pay some stool pidgeons  in
 >>> scotland ;-)
 >>
 >> I paid a lot for mine.
 >> And you?
 >
 > i was lucky and got hold of a used one, actually an old
 > and wrecked down washington senator :-D

I hear they're pretty affordable these days, almost as cheap as American
corporate journalists.*

Charles Hartman wrote:
> (off-list)
> Richard,
>

> This is terrific -- I just downloaded it & used it for ten minutes  and
> I'm already hooked. Frankly, it seems much more useful (and far  less
> crash-prone) than the Daniels & Mara suite.

Thanks for the kind words.  That's one nice thing about being so
hectically busy here lately: it keeps me from adding too much to my
toolkit, which keeps things simple. :)

> I did run into one bug: I'm working on a substack, with the Object
> Browser and the Properties palette available. Properties is showing  the
> stack. When I pull down the menu at the top and select the  current card
> instead, I get: "There was an error executing a script  in stack
> 4WProps. No more information is available because the stack  is password
> protected." Then Properties *does* seem (by its title) to  switch to
> showing the card.

That's the downside of being so busy:  bugs in my tools don't get fixed
as quickly as I'd like.

I'm up against a hairy deadline right now, but I'll look into that at
first opportunity and post an update.  You can use the updater in the
devolution setup window to check for new parts -- try in a few days and
hopefully I'll have that posted.

On Aug 24, 2005, at 3:59 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> That's the downside of being so busy:  bugs in my tools don't get
> fixed as quickly as I'd like.
>
> I'm up against a hairy deadline right now, but I'll look into that
> at first opportunity and post an update.  You can use the updater
> in the devolution setup window to check for new parts -- try in a
> few days and hopefully I'll have that posted.

I certainly didn't mean it was important; it isn't -- I'm just being
OCD about it as usual. The package works very nicely.

Charles

Charles Hartman wrote:
> (off-list)
> Richard,
>
> This is terrific -- I just downloaded it & used it for ten minutes  and
> I'm already hooked. Frankly, it seems much more useful (and far  less
> crash-prone) than the Daniels & Mara suite.

This was apparently intended for private email, but as long as it was
posted publicly I feel I should offer some feedback on Jerry Daniels'
excellent Rev tools:

In addition to being one of the nicest and most sincerely helpful people
I've ever met (maybe second only to Ken Ray, and that's saying a lot as
Ken has more integrity in one finger than most of us hope to build over
a lifetime), Jerry Daniels is also one of the smartest and most experienced.

If there's any reason why devolution may appear less buggy (which I
doubt, if you play with it long enough <g>) it's only because:

a) The Daniels and Mara tools are so much more feature-rich than
    devolution.
    I come from a MetaCard background, with an eye for the spartan,
    and devolution is merely a set of conveniences that myself and
    my clients use to work a little faster.  The D&M tools are much
    more ambitious, and as the old saw goes, more code will mean
    more bugs, at least in a first release.

b) devolution is much older than the D&M tools.
    Jerry's toolkit is a fairly recent release, so we can expect it
    to have a few more bugs than it will in v2.0.  That's just how
    software goes in spite of the best of efforts.  devolution has
    been in use for almost half a decade in about a dozen shops,
    and while I update its components every few weeks while I'm
    working, they've been pounded on a lot and have been through
    multiple iterations.  I have no doubt the D&M tools will be
    among the most rock-solid wares in the Rev world in just another
    release or two -- they're pretty great right now.

If you haven't played with the D&M tools you should check 'em out:
<http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/>

There's some very inventive thinking there, and lots of good utility.

I hope to see an article about Jerry's tools at revJournal soon...

Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 3:59 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>

>> That's the downside of being so busy:  bugs in my tools don't get
>> fixed as quickly as I'd like.
>>
>> I'm up against a hairy deadline right now, but I'll look into that  at
>> first opportunity and post an update.  You can use the updater  in the
>> devolution setup window to check for new parts -- try in a  few days
>> and hopefully I'll have that posted.
>
> I certainly didn't mean it was important; it isn't -- I'm just being
> OCD about it as usual. The package works very nicely.

Thanks.  OCD is useful. These issues may not bother you so much, but I
have to work with these tools all day (and these have been some busy
days) so I'm highly motivated to keep them running smoothly.

I spend most of the day in the MetaCard IDE, and flip into Rev now and
then to help clients walk through things; the only consistency in my
world is devolution, as it's too much mental effort to remap habits from
the UIs of the two IDEs.  So when devo fails I tend to fix it on the
spot, since without it I'm hosed. :)

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Éric Miclo
Hello,

I'd like to add some thoughts because in the past 2 months I've used
a bit the Daniels & Mara suite.

Not everyboby have the same feelings for a piece of software. I
prefer individual tools that each concentrate on one task and do the
job as expected. I don't feel well with tools that do a lot of things
(I'm perhaps somewhat limited). That way I'm able to chose the
collection of tools that suits me the best. This has nothing to do
with the quality of the soft.

As for crashing soft, as far I'm concerned, I've only encountered 1
"crasher" in Constellation (the D&M script editor). It doesn't crash
Revolution but under certain circumstances Revolution can be somewhat
stuck.

And Jerry is somebody who listens to users (even to ones that point
little details :-)) and make Constellation evolve on a daily basis.

The only drawback of his soft is that you can't try it before to buy
(that said I've bought the suite and I'm very happy with it).

Best regards,

ÉrIC

Le 24 août 05 à 22:23, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Charles Hartman wrote:
>
>> (off-list)
>> Richard,
>>  This is terrific -- I just downloaded it & used it for ten
>> minutes  and I'm already hooked. Frankly, it seems much more
>> useful (and far  less crash-prone) than the Daniels & Mara suite.
>>

> This was apparently intended for private email, but as long as it
> was posted publicly I feel I should offer some feedback on Jerry
> Daniels' excellent Rev tools:
>
> In addition to being one of the nicest and most sincerely helpful
> people I've ever met (maybe second only to Ken Ray, and that's
> saying a lot as Ken has more integrity in one finger than most of
> us hope to build over a lifetime), Jerry Daniels is also one of the
> smartest and most experienced.
>
> If there's any reason why devolution may appear less buggy (which I
> doubt, if you play with it long enough <g>) it's only because:
>
> a) The Daniels and Mara tools are so much more feature-rich than
>    devolution.
>    I come from a MetaCard background, with an eye for the spartan,
>    and devolution is merely a set of conveniences that myself and
>    my clients use to work a little faster.  The D&M tools are much
>    more ambitious, and as the old saw goes, more code will mean
>    more bugs, at least in a first release.
>
> b) devolution is much older than the D&M tools.
>    Jerry's toolkit is a fairly recent release, so we can expect it
>    to have a few more bugs than it will in v2.0.  That's just how
>    software goes in spite of the best of efforts.  devolution has
>    been in use for almost half a decade in about a dozen shops,
>    and while I update its components every few weeks while I'm
>    working, they've been pounded on a lot and have been through
>    multiple iterations.  I have no doubt the D&M tools will be
>    among the most rock-solid wares in the Rev world in just another
>    release or two -- they're pretty great right now.
>
> If you haven't played with the D&M tools you should check 'em out:
> <http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/>
>
> There's some very inventive thinking there, and lots of good utility.
>
> I hope to see an article about Jerry's tools at revJournal soon...
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

-- My NeXT computer will Be a Mac too! --

Re: searching all scripts in an application

see3d
All,

I have used Constellation about 6 hours a day since the pre-release
was made available for sale.  If it crashed often, I would not use it
at all.  I have not noticed any increase in the frequency from what
Rev normally crashes (yes, Rev does crash on occasion).  The software
is still in development, and is very stable for the fact that it is
having new features added almost daily (and bug fixes too).  I am
glad I got on board early with Jerry, since he had taken some of my
suggestions and incorporated them --much to my delight.

Dennis