searching all scripts in an application

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Charles Hartman
I've not only downloaded the D&M suite, I've paid the current (half-
price!) fee for it, and I'm looking forward to the actual release.
It's obviously an excellent and massive project. In this pre-release
state, it has felt less stable to me than I like *for a working
environment* (that is, for software I need to be able NOT to think
about while I'm thinking about my own). But it's pre-release.
Nobody's pre-release software is stable. (To say, Certainly not mine,
would be a ludicrous understatement.)

I was just appreciating how smoothly devolution slid into my
workflow, if I have a workflow, which I often doubt.

Charles

On Aug 24, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Charles Hartman wrote:
>
>> (off-list)
>> Richard,
>>  This is terrific -- I just downloaded it & used it for ten
>> minutes  and I'm already hooked. Frankly, it seems much more
>> useful (and far  less crash-prone) than the Daniels & Mara suite.
>>

> This was apparently intended for private email, but as long as it
> was posted publicly I feel I should offer some feedback on Jerry
> Daniels' excellent Rev tools:
>
> In addition to being one of the nicest and most sincerely helpful
> people I've ever met (maybe second only to Ken Ray, and that's
> saying a lot as Ken has more integrity in one finger than most of
> us hope to build over a lifetime), Jerry Daniels is also one of the
> smartest and most experienced.
>
> If there's any reason why devolution may appear less buggy (which I
> doubt, if you play with it long enough <g>) it's only because:
>
> a) The Daniels and Mara tools are so much more feature-rich than
>    devolution.
>    I come from a MetaCard background, with an eye for the spartan,
>    and devolution is merely a set of conveniences that myself and
>    my clients use to work a little faster.  The D&M tools are much
>    more ambitious, and as the old saw goes, more code will mean
>    more bugs, at least in a first release.
>
> b) devolution is much older than the D&M tools.
>    Jerry's toolkit is a fairly recent release, so we can expect it
>    to have a few more bugs than it will in v2.0.  That's just how
>    software goes in spite of the best of efforts.  devolution has
>    been in use for almost half a decade in about a dozen shops,
>    and while I update its components every few weeks while I'm
>    working, they've been pounded on a lot and have been through
>    multiple iterations.  I have no doubt the D&M tools will be
>    among the most rock-solid wares in the Rev world in just another
>    release or two -- they're pretty great right now.
>
> If you haven't played with the D&M tools you should check 'em out:
> <http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/>
>
> There's some very inventive thinking there, and lots of good utility.
>
> I hope to see an article about Jerry's tools at revJournal soon...
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: searching all scripts in an application

Geoff Canyon
On Aug 24, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Jon wrote:

> Is there any easy way to find all occurrences of the word "Send" in
> all scripts in a stack?

This feels like a "me too," this late in the game, but I should point
out that Navigator allows you to hilite any set of objects (or just
one) and then search for objects with scripts that contain whatever
text you like. Navigator bookmarks the found results, letting you
then work with the objects you found.

You can also search all the objects contained within the objects you
select. So you can hilite a stack, search enclosed, and find all the
objects anywhere in the stack with the word "send" in their script.

Further, you can search by applying a test. When doing this,
Navigator supplies the long id of each object in a variable "tID."
So, suppose you wanted to find all buttons in a stack with a height
other than 12. You could use this:

word 1 of the long id of tID is "button" and the height of tID is not 12

Navigator would search all the objects in the stack, finding only
objects where the above is true, and bookmark them.

The latest update of Navigator has many new features. The web site
hasn't been updated yet, but you can read about it in the About Box.
Navigator 3.0b1 is available at:

http://www.inspiredlogic.com/Navigator3b1.zip

regards,

geoff