send control-C to a process?

Phil Davis-5
On a Mac I want to 'type' control-C to a process I opened for update.
(I'm using SoX to record some spoken audio, and I want to tell it to
end.) How do I do it?

I found I can just close the process and the audio is preserved in the
output file, but then Finder seems to have no idea what the audio
duration is.

Thanks and happy holidays to all -

--
Phil Davis

Re: send control-C to a process?

Thierry Douez
Hi Phil,

Instead of closing your process,
try to send a SIGINT or SIGQUIT signal to the child process, eg:

kill <process_id>
kill -9 <process_id>

This is just out of my head... HTH

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Sox.

and happy holidays too,

Thierry

> On a Mac I want to 'type' control-C to a process I opened for update. (I'm
> using SoX to record some spoken audio, and I want to tell it to end.) How
> do I do it?
>
> I found I can just close the process and the audio is preserved in the
> output file, but then Finder seems to have no idea what the audio duration
> is.
>
> Thanks and happy holidays to all -
>
> --
> Phil Davis

Re: send control-C to a process?

Phil Davis-5
Thanks Thierry - "kill <process_id>" does indeed give me the desired
outcome - the audio duration is now displayed in Finder's "Get Info"
window (and is also discovered & displayed by other tools like afinfo
and mediainfo). I really appreciate your help!

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis