[server] $_FILES upload limits?

Phil Davis-5
Has anyone tested the limits of the new $_FILES upload feature? Can I upload 100
files at once? 100 MB at once? Just looking for another upload alternative.

Thanks -
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development
http://pdslabs.net

Re: [server] $_FILES upload limits?

Martin Koob
I haven't tried the $_FILES feature yet.

I did some tests with On-rev server a while ago. I found I could upload a file of up to 10.1 MB.  That is probably a set limit that comes with the hosting package.

Martin

Re: [server] $_FILES upload limits?

Andre Garzia-3
Phil,

HTTP is not the ideal transport for transferring a hundred files of 100 MB
each. I am not a native english speaker so I might understand things wrong
or maybe it is just morning without my matte (<-- delicious brazillian
native beverage with a shot of lemonade). So let us assume two scenarios:

*  100 files of 100 MB each. If you try to do this with a single HTTP
request, unless it is a LAN, you will probably reach the socket timeout of
the server or something similar. Your ideal transport for lots of large
files is FTP, SFTP, SCP or some custom thing that breaks the files into
edible chunks and uses a lot of requests.

* 100 files totaling 100 MB (1MB per file). I would advise against doing
this on a single HTTP request. I would loop transferring one file at a time
or maybe 5 files at a time using HTTP. This is OK and should be fine with
the server and the engine.

Cheers
andre

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [server] $_FILES upload limits?

Phil Davis-5
Thanks Martin and Andre! Appreciate the feedback.
Phil