Quantcast

shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hello,

I am not sure where to start searching and I am not good under the hood of
Macs.

I am retrieving MAC addresses:

put "netstat -I" into myShell

put shell(myShell) into tRes

In former times that has taken "a few" seconds, now it takes around 20
seconds. First I tested, if it was a slowdown of LC 8/9, but in LC 6.7.10 it
is almost the same 20 secs. I am not sure, when the decrease actually
happened, but if it is not LC then it must be an issue of one of the latest
MacOSs.

Has anybody any idea, if I can optimize anything in the performance of this
shell request? Could it be any permission issue in the new OS? Anything I
could workaround, or do I have to take this shell call as it is?

Thanks for any ideas

Tiemo

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Tiemo,

I ran the command directly on my Macos 12.4 laptop and it took about 20 seconds to generate the entire listing.

Is there specific information you are looking to obtain?  You may be able to narrow the scope of the request and generate it faster.

Marc Siskin

On Mar 30, 2017, at 7:57 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hello,

I am not sure where to start searching and I am not good under the hood of
Macs.

I am retrieving MAC addresses:

put "netstat -I" into myShell

put shell(myShell) into tRes

In former times that has taken "a few" seconds, now it takes around 20
seconds. First I tested, if it was a slowdown of LC 8/9, but in LC 6.7.10 it
is almost the same 20 secs. I am not sure, when the decrease actually
happened, but if it is not LC then it must be an issue of one of the latest
MacOSs.

Has anybody any idea, if I can optimize anything in the performance of this
shell request? Could it be any permission issue in the new OS? Anything I
could workaround, or do I have to take this shell call as it is?

Thanks for any ideas

Tiemo

---------------
Marc Siskin
Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
Carnegie Mellon University
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

AW: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Marc,
I need the MAC addresses from all network adapters. How can you narrow the
scope of this request?
Tiemo

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Tiemo,

You may need to use two commands if you need the information from both Macs and PCs.

On the Mac, "networksetup -listallhardwareports” in the shell should give you a report that looks like this:
MLRCTBHUB:~ msiskin$ networksetup -listallhardwareports

Hardware Port: Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot 2
Device: en6
Ethernet Address: 00:10:74:b8:02:fd

Hardware Port: Thunderbolt FireWire
Device: fw0
Ethernet Address: 00:0a:27:02:00:6d:57:03

Hardware Port: Wi-Fi
Device: en0
Ethernet Address: f4:5c:89:9e:70:d7

Hardware Port: Bluetooth PAN
Device: en3
Ethernet Address: 7c:d1:c3:9a:1b:cd

Hardware Port: Thunderbolt 1
Device: en1
Ethernet Address: 6a:00:01:b2:92:70

Hardware Port: Thunderbolt 2
Device: en2
Ethernet Address: 6a:00:01:b2:92:71

Hardware Port: Thunderbolt Bridge
Device: bridge0
Ethernet Address: 00:10:74:b8:02:fd

VLAN Configurations
===================
MLRCTBHUB:~ msiskin$

On PCs, you may be able to use the command “getmac” in a shell which should give you a report that looks like this:

C:\>getmac
Physical Address    Transport Name
=================== ==========================================================
2C-3F-45-02-1B-32   \Device\Tcpip_{7E49B486-120A-4BC2-2114-B345A4D5C5}
10-13-17-BC-12-48   Media disconnected
22-B3-C5-30-76-78   \Device\Tcpip_{213E8D2A-1DBE-4240-8301-BE6F3EACAF9D}
00-05-2A-3C-78-00   \Device\Tcpip_{F01E3FC2-A5A1-6940-D1A1-C7521AEC4296}
2C-23-45-14-23-AD   Media disconnected
C:\>

Now I haven’t tried this on PCs, so your milage may vary.  But the macOS version does work.

Good luck,
Marc

On Mar 30, 2017, at 8:40 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi Marc,
I need the MAC addresses from all network adapters. How can you narrow the
scope of this request?
Tiemo

AW: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Thank you for your ideas! I will give it a try
Tiemo

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
I suppose it would depend on how many IP addresses are in your arp table. If you are retrieving mac addresses, that is the only place it can get them. netstat is not going out on the network and checing every network device.

Bob S

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 04:57 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure where to start searching and I am not good under the hood of
> Macs.
>
> I am retrieving MAC addresses:
>
> put "netstat -I" into myShell
>
> put shell(myShell) into tRes
>
> In former times that has taken "a few" seconds, now it takes around 20
> seconds. First I tested, if it was a slowdown of LC 8/9, but in LC 6.7.10 it
> is almost the same 20 secs. I am not sure, when the decrease actually
> happened, but if it is not LC then it must be an issue of one of the latest
> MacOSs.
>
> Has anybody any idea, if I can optimize anything in the performance of this
> shell request? Could it be any permission issue in the new OS? Anything I
> could workaround, or do I have to take this shell call as it is?
>
> Thanks for any ideas
>
> Tiemo

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
oic you are getting the mac addresses of the network adapters attached to your device.

Bob S

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 07:39 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suppose it would depend on how many IP addresses are in your arp table. If you are retrieving mac addresses, that is the only place it can get them. netstat is not going out on the network and checing every network device.

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
I don't have a mac available at the moment, but can't you use ifconfig for
this?  Most likely with no arguments then parse the results.

If the results are similar to linux (never a safe bet, but worth a check)
 there will be a line with something like HWaddr and then the mac address.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> oic you are getting the mac addresses of the network adapters attached to
> your device.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Mar 30, 2017, at 07:39 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I suppose it would depend on how many IP addresses are in your arp
> table. If you are retrieving mac addresses, that is the only place it can
> get them. netstat is not going out on the network and checing every network
> device.
> >
> > Bob S

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

> Am 30.03.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure where to start searching and I am not good under the hood of
> Macs.
>
> I am retrieving MAC addresses:
>
> put "netstat -I" into myShell
>
> put shell(myShell) into tRes
>
> In former times that has taken "a few" seconds, now it takes around 20
> seconds. First I tested, if it was a slowdown of LC 8/9, but in LC 6.7.10 it
> is almost the same 20 secs. I am not sure, when the decrease actually
> happened, but if it is not LC then it must be an issue of one of the latest
> MacOSs.
>
> Has anybody any idea, if I can optimize anything in the performance of this
> shell request? Could it be any permission issue in the new OS? Anything I
> could workaround, or do I have to take this shell call as it is?
>
> Thanks for any ideas

using this script from Ken Ray:
<http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/tips/env001.htm>
took 30 millisecs on my Mac Mini, macOS 10.12.4 and LC 9 dp6.  :-)

> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: AW: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
On 03/30/2017 05:40 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> I need the MAC addresses from all network adapters. How can you narrow the
> scope of this request?

Why not use ifconfig instead? Instantaneous results.

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
That works great for the default adapter. I think Tiemo is looking for a way to enumerate ALL adapter mac addresses. I have like 24 entries using netstat. Some are ipv6 addresses, others ipv4, and still others have no mac address at all. Of course I am using Parallels and have 2 physical network adapters and a couple virtual ones.

Bob S

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 09:06 , Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> using this script from Ken Ray:
> <http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/tips/env001.htm>
> took 30 millisecs on my Mac Mini, macOS 10.12.4 and LC 9 dp6.  :-)
>
>> Tiemo
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major

AW: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
Yes, using ifconfig <interface> I get exact 1 MAC (see Ken Rays script as
Klaus pointed out). I don't see a parameter to get all at once, but I could
perhaps call ifconfig 4 times with <interface> lo0, en0,en1 and fw0. Or I
will try to use "networksetup -listallhardwareports”, as Marc pointed out
Don't ask me why I need exactly these 4 interfaces. The old function,
working with netstat is made by an external programmer and I have to get
exact the same results as the old function has provided, so I need these 4
interfaces.
Tiemo

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> using this script from Ken Ray:
> <http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/tips/env001.htm>
> took 30 millisecs on my Mac Mini, macOS 10.12.4 and LC 9 dp6.  :-)
>
>> Tiemo
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major

Re: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
If you call it with no arguments, doesn't it list them all?  I'll have to
get my mac running again so I can test this stuff.

On 03/30/2017 11:01 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> If you call it with no arguments, doesn't it list them all?  I'll have to
> get my mac running again so I can test this stuff.

Yes it does - that's the default.
Tiemo - just use "ifconfig" by itself... no interface specifier.
That will list all the interfaces in your system.

AW: shell("netstat -i") has getting slow on MacOS10.x

prothero--- via use-livecode
:)  you are right!

So I think I'll manage to replace the old and slow function using "netstat" by "ifconfig" as well as by "networksetup"
I have no idea, why the external programmer choose "netstat" at that time (2009). Does anybody see any pitfalls, why "ifconfig" or "networksetup" could return other results (after filtering, sorting etc.) or why I shouldn't use one of them? Are these commands the same available as netstat in modern Oss (> 10.9)? networksetup seems to be the easiest solution and is fast as ifconfig.

Thanks for any advice
Tiemo

If you call it with no arguments, doesn't it list them all?  I'll have to get my mac running again so I can test this stuff.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, using ifconfig <interface> I get exact 1 MAC (see Ken Rays script
> as Klaus pointed out). I don't see a parameter to get all at once, but
> I could perhaps call ifconfig 4 times with <interface> lo0, en0,en1
> and fw0. Or I will try to use "networksetup -listallhardwareports”, as
> Marc pointed out Don't ask me why I need exactly these 4 interfaces.
> The old function, working with netstat is made by an external
> programmer and I have to get exact the same results as the old
> function has provided, so I need these 4 interfaces.
> Tiemo

Reading about networksetup now. Another command to add to my toolbox.
Thanks!

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Marc Siskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of the two commands, networksetup would require less parsing of the answer
> in order to get the device/MAC address pairing.
>
> Marc
>
> On Mar 30, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
> :)  you are right!
>
> So I think I'll manage to replace the old and slow function using
> "netstat" by "ifconfig" as well as by "networksetup"
> I have no idea, why the external programmer choose "netstat" at that time
> (2009). Does anybody see any pitfalls, why "ifconfig" or "networksetup"
> could return other results (after filtering, sorting etc.) or why I
> shouldn't use one of them? Are these commands the same available as netstat
> in modern Oss (> 10.9)? networksetup seems to be the easiest solution and
> is fast as ifconfig.
>
> Thanks for any advice
> Tiemo

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tiemo - just use "ifconfig" by itself... no interface specifier.
> That will list all the interfaces in your system.

Also, I just tried "netstat -i" from the command line--and it was still
running several seconds later . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462