sims' spotty dog

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Why has nothing been done about this?

Re: sims' spotty dog

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > Why has nothing been done about this?

A less presumptuous question might have been:

"What has been done about this?"

...for which the answer would be that I wrote Sims about it the other
day, and he replied to let me know he's written Heather about it.

The precise nature of the problem is unclear to me at this time, given
how frequently mail headers are forged, making it possible that they're
not coming from his account at all.

May take them a bit longer to sort out, but they're working on it.

Re: sims' spotty dog

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Possibly the simplest solution would be for Sims to set up another
e-mail account.

Richmond.

On 4/29/17 8:59 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
> > Why has nothing been done about this?
>
> A less presumptuous question might have been:
>
> "What has been done about this?"
>
> ...for which the answer would be that I wrote Sims about it the other
> day, and he replied to let me know he's written Heather about it.
>
> The precise nature of the problem is unclear to me at this time, given
> how frequently mail headers are forged, making it possible that
> they're not coming from his account at all.
>
> May take them a bit longer to sort out, but they're working on it.

Android & LC advice

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Morning, folks.

I have had very preliminary discussions with a team who want to roll out a series of apps onto a fairly small number of phablet-esque devices which will be given out to clients to use.

Because of the cost issue, I am assuming that Android will be the most appropriate platform.

Aside from embedded stuff, I have never used Android.  I don’t know anything about the market, and I have never built a standalone to run on the platform.  There will no doubt be bumps and wrinkles down the line, but at this stage I need to consider the device options.

Do folks know if there are specific Android devices that play nicely or badly with LC?  If not, can I just proceed on the basis of keeping costs low?

If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?

Best wishes,

David Glasgow.

Re: sims' spotty dog

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
It looks to me like at least one of the original e-mails came from a
server in Vietnam while Sims server seems to be located in Texas and his
home is on an island. I'd say there is little Sims can do about it.

If his e-mail address were to be disabled, the spammers would simply
spoof someone else's address. A solution might be to apply Spamcop
filters, but many people, including those with OnRev accounts, are on
shared servers and will often get blocked by Spamcop and still be unable
to stop the spam.

Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
http://economy-x-talk.com
https://www.facebook.com/marksch

Buy the most extensive book on the
LiveCode language:
http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com

Op 30-Apr-17 om 09:37 schreef Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode:

> Possibly the simplest solution would be for Sims to set up another
> e-mail account.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 4/29/17 8:59 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>
>> > Why has nothing been done about this?
>>
>> A less presumptuous question might have been:
>>
>> "What has been done about this?"
>>
>> ...for which the answer would be that I wrote Sims about it the other
>> day, and he replied to let me know he's written Heather about it.
>>
>> The precise nature of the problem is unclear to me at this time, given
>> how frequently mail headers are forged, making it possible that
>> they're not coming from his account at all.
>>
>> May take them a bit longer to sort out, but they're working on it.

Re: Android & LC advice

David V Glasgow wrote:

 > If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you
 > choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?

What will the user be expected to do with it?

 > Because of the cost issue, I am assuming that Android will be the
 > most appropriate platform.

If cost were the only issue, Android would no doubt be the better choice
by virtue of its vastly more diverse hardware ecosystem.

But again, it boils down to what the user is expected to do with it.
For infrequent lightweight tasks it probably doesn't matter much, but if
the user will be using the device a lot it may matter whether they
already have deep experience with iOS or Android.  The two OSes are
different enough that I see users of each stumble and become frustrated
when they try to use the other.

Re: Android & LC advice

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi

I have my program(s) running on Windows 7 embeded

10.1 inch and 8 inch windows 10 tablets (fusion 5  and linx)
10.1 inch android tablets from fusion 5
5 inch DOOGEE android phones for less than £50 although there are really
good ones upto 5.5 inch for less than £70
samsung 7" tab 4

Not a problem on any of them.

Just as a headsup the reason I have started using the 8 inch windows
tablets is that getting bluetooth or any printer working easily with
Android is a nightmare - unless you know different.
The way Ive done it is to have a windows 7 server and send the information
to an sql file that is polled on the server which then printed it on 6
different printers depending on the "printjob"

The latest application needs printing out of the office so until i setup a
raspberry pi as a server or test a wireless router i'm sticking with the
windows tablet as I have the drivers.

I'm looking to use a raspberry PI as the server but time is what In keep
running out of.

To save you some time , if they are internal just sign for developer use
and either send the apk via email or use an sd card to attach to the tablet.

While I'm at it has anybody printed directly to a Bluetooth printer from
android , specifically

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-Portable-Bluetooth-Wireless-Supports/dp/
B00W6XPHFC/ref=br_lf_m_mspnvhmjg9hp3y2_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=officeproduct

(it generic - everybody puts their name on it)

Kindest Regards lagi

On 30 April 2017 at 09:49, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Morning, folks.
>
> I have had very preliminary discussions with a team who want to roll out a
> series of apps onto a fairly small number of phablet-esque devices which
> will be given out to clients to use.
>
> Because of the cost issue, I am assuming that Android will be the most
> appropriate platform.
>
> Aside from embedded stuff, I have never used Android.  I don’t know
> anything about the market, and I have never built a standalone to run on
> the platform.  There will no doubt be bumps and wrinkles down the line, but
> at this stage I need to consider the device options.
>
> Do folks know if there are specific Android devices that play nicely or
> badly with LC?  If not, can I just proceed on the basis of keeping costs
> low?
>
> If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you
> choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David Glasgow.

Re: Android & LC advice

On 4/30/17 3:49 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> Do folks know if there are specific Android devices that play nicely
> or badly with LC?  If not, can I just proceed on the basis of keeping
> costs low?
>
> If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you
> choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?

As Richard said, it all depends on what the app does. If it relies on
lots of multimedia, you need something with a faster CPU and graphics
card than if it is just going to present some fields and buttons. If it
needs good internet access, I've seen differences just between my two
Samsung phones, the newer phone naturally is faster than the older one
and connects more reliably to networks with weaker signal strength.

The need for 3/4G doesn't matter, the OS handles the type of data
connection based on what's available. If there is wifi available it will
use that, otherwise it falls back to cell data.

I don't know of any Android devices that flat-out won't work with LC,
but some may work better than others. In general you get what you pay
for. A cheap phone will work but may not have the power or features you
need. Your best bet is to list the features the app requires and then
see which phones provide those features. Then compare cost vs. performance.

Re: Android & LC advice

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Good point Richard,

I should have said.

Nothing I would expect to be particularly demanding.  Mostly shunting text about on screen, timing and recording responses, and very modest data exchange  < = 1000 characters.

> On 30 Apr 2017, at 2:49 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David V Glasgow wrote:
>
> > If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you
> > choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?
>
> What will the user be expected to do with it?
>

> > Because of the cost issue, I am assuming that Android will be the
> > most appropriate platform.
>
> If cost were the only issue, Android would no doubt be the better choice by virtue of its vastly more diverse hardware ecosystem.
>
> But again, it boils down to what the user is expected to do with it. For infrequent lightweight tasks it probably doesn't matter much, but if the user will be using the device a lot it may matter whether they already have deep experience with iOS or Android.  The two OSes are different enough that I see users of each stumble and become frustrated when they try to use the other.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: sims' spotty dog

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
A great deal has been done about it by most people on this list. I am not getting them because I use Microsoft OLP (Online Protection). Other spam filter software is available.

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 10:28 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why has nothing been done about this?
>
> Richmond.

Re: Android & LC advice

David V Glasgow wrote:

 >> On 30 Apr 2017, at 2:49 pm, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> David V Glasgow wrote:
 >> > Because of the cost issue, I am assuming that Android will be the
 >> > most appropriate platform.
 >>
 >> If cost were the only issue, Android would no doubt be the better
 >> choice by virtue of its vastly more diverse hardware ecosystem.
 >>
 >> But again, it boils down to what the user is expected to do with it.
 >> For infrequent lightweight tasks it probably doesn't matter much,
 >> but if the user will be using the device a lot it may matter whether
 >> they already have deep experience with iOS or Android.  The two OSes
 >> are different enough that I see users of each stumble and become
 >> frustrated when they try to use the other.
 >
 > Good point Richard,
 >
 > I should have said.
 >
 > Nothing I would expect to be particularly demanding.  Mostly shunting
 > text about on screen, timing and recording responses, and very modest
 > data exchange  < = 1000 characters.

In that case I would be inclined to strongly recommend Android for two
reasons:

- Hardware variety:  OMG! the range of devices is vast, so the only
difficulty in picking one with an optimal balance between price and
performance will be because there are so many to choose from. :)

- Installation: For small scale local deployments, you just turn on the
"Unknown Sources" option in Android Prefs, copy the APK to the device
either through SD card or a web server, and after installing it turn off
the "Unknown Sources" option again to prevent other side-loading.
That's it.  Instant win, with no complex paperwork or installation
process with provisioning profiles as you'd need for iOS.

Re: Android & LC advice

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thanks, Richard.  Really helpful.

David Glasgow