slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
It currently is taking forty minutes for my posts to appear after I send
them. That's enough time to send my email to Mars and back. Runrev's
servers must be pretty far away.

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Someone fact check that plz...

Bob S

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 14:13 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It currently is taking forty minutes for my posts to appear after I send them. That's enough time to send my email to Mars and back. Runrev's servers must be pretty far away.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I won't  fact check it - but I can google-check it :-)

Takes between 3 and 22 minutes for light to travel from Earth to Mars -
so most of the time, Mark is correct, email can get there and back
within 40 minutes.

Alex.

On 29/08/2017 00:22, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> Someone fact check that plz...
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 14:13 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It currently is taking forty minutes for my posts to appear after I send them. That's enough time to send my email to Mars and back. Runrev's servers must be pretty far away.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Wikipedia:
Mars is an an average of 12.5 light minutes from earth.

So, yeah.

Phil Davis

> Someone fact check that plz...
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 14:13 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It currently is taking forty minutes for my posts to appear after I send them. That's enough time to send my email to Mars and back. Runrev's servers must be pretty far away.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Phil Davis

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
> Someone fact check that plz...
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 14:13 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It currently is taking forty minutes for my posts to appear after I send them. That's enough time to send my email to Mars and back. Runrev's servers must be pretty far away.

I checked it before posting, of course.

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length/lightminute.html?u=lightminute&v=40

gives me about 720 million km in 40 minutes

https://www.space.com/14729-spacekids-distance-earth-mars.html

gives the average distance from Earth to Mars as 225 million km.
Even at the maximum distance, that's *almost* enough time for the round
trip. Of course, at that point the electrons would have to pass through
the sun, and that would significantly cut down the bandwidth to about...
er... zero.

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This doesn't seem to be affecting the dev list. Is that on a different
mail-list server?

Sean Cole

On 08/28/2017 05:34 PM, Sean Cole (Pi) via use-livecode wrote:
> This doesn't seem to be affecting the dev list. Is that on a different
> mail-list server?

Working better now - seemed to be a temporary thing.
I blame sunspots.

Re: slow listserv

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I wonder if the Texas flooding affected it.
Swimming increases latency.

Jim Lambert