sorting algorithms

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Fascinating youtube video demonstrating 15 sorting algorithms visually
and sonically.

https://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/15-sorting-algorithms-visualiz.html

Re: sorting algorithms

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
That's very clever!

Richmond.

On 6/30/17 6:55 am, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Fascinating youtube video demonstrating 15 sorting algorithms visually
> and sonically.
>
> https://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/15-sorting-algorithms-visualiz.html

Re: sorting algorithms

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I thought it was going to explain the different sort methods. I suppose which one you use depends on the nature of the data being sorted.

Bob S

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 20:55 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Fascinating youtube video demonstrating 15 sorting algorithms visually and sonically.
>
> https://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/15-sorting-algorithms-visualiz.html
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: sorting algorithms

On 6/30/17 7:39 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> I thought it was going to explain the different sort methods. I suppose which one you use depends on the nature of the data being sorted.
>
> Bob S

I was a bit disappointed as I "only" know about the 'Bubble' and the
'Bucket' methods

[ by "only' I mean those are the only ones I know the fancy names for ]

and, while the film popped my ears, it didn't exactly add to the sum
knowledge of my mental programming library.

Richmond.

>> On Jun 29, 2017, at 20:55 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Fascinating youtube video demonstrating 15 sorting algorithms visually and sonically.
>>
>> https://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/15-sorting-algorithms-visualiz.html
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Re: sorting algorithms

On 06/30/2017 11:49 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> and, while the film popped my ears, it didn't exactly add to the sum
> knowledge of my mental programming library.

I, on the other hand, found my curiosity piqued to investigate some of
the other sort algorithms mentioned, as they seemed quite efficient.

Re: sorting algorithms

On 06/30/2017 09:39 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> I thought it was going to explain the different sort methods.

Explain 15 sorting algorithms in six minutes? That's 24 seconds each,
which isn't even enough time for an elevator pitch for each algorithm.

OT: Mandelbrot set deep dive

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
And while I'm posting off-topic subjects, here's a seriously deep dive
into the Mandelbrot set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModQ59muXmU

Re: OT: Mandelbrot set deep dive

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
After watching a couple minutes of this, I started getting light-headed
and felt like I was going back to the late 60s.

Phil Davis

On 6/30/17 1:44 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> And while I'm posting off-topic subjects, here's a seriously deep dive
> into the Mandelbrot set.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModQ59muXmU

--
Phil Davis

Re: OT: Mandelbrot set deep dive

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
 They put it into the ice.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 15:41 Phil Davis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> After watching a couple minutes of this, I started getting light-headed
> and felt like I was going back to the late 60s.
>
> Phil Davis
>

> On 6/30/17 1:44 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> > And while I'm posting off-topic subjects, here's a seriously deep dive
> > into the Mandelbrot set.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModQ59muXmU
> >

> --
> Phil Davis

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: OT: Mandelbrot set deep dive

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Made me think of earlier versions of iTunes.

Richmond.

On 06/30/2017 04:35 PM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode wrote:
>   They put it into the ice.

RIP Orange Sunshine:

https://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/nicholas-sand-orange-sunshine.html

Re: sorting algorithms

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I think this series of videos may be what you're looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlgoRythmics/videos

On 30/06/2017 17:39, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> I thought it was going to explain the different sort methods. I suppose which one you use depends on the nature of the data being sorted.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jun 29, 2017, at 20:55 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Fascinating youtube video demonstrating 15 sorting algorithms visually and sonically.
>>
>> https://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/15-sorting-algorithms-visualiz.html
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Re: OT: Mandelbrot set deep dive

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Last time I felt like that, kids had yet to adopt the habit of calling other guys "dude".

Bob S

> On Jun 30, 2017, at 16:35 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After watching a couple minutes of this, I started getting light-headed
>> and felt like I was going back to the late 60s.
>>
>> Phil Davis

Re: sorting algorithms

On 07/03/2017 06:26 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> I think this series of videos may be what you're looking for:
> https://www.youtube.com/user/AlgoRythmics/videos

!!! That's great !!! And the comments...

"This is... by a wide margin... the nerdiest thing... I've ever seen...
in my whole life."