start using stack

John Dixon
Can I put a stack into the message path that is on the on-rev server ?
If so, how do I write the 'start using stack' command ?

'www.mydomain.com/mystack'
'http://mydomain.com/mystack'
'http://www.mydomain.com/mystack'

none of these seem to work ? Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
If you're talking about remotely putting a stack in use from a desktop app,
you'd need to "go url.." first then start using.

If you're talking about lc server, it would just be a regular file path
relative to the script that is trying to use the library stack.  Same
directory, (and defaultfolder not changed) just start using
"stackname.livecode"

Otherwise give it either a full absolute path or a path relative to the lc
script file.

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM, John Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I put a stack into the message path that is on the on-rev server ?
> If so, how do I write the 'start using stack' command ?
>
> 'www.mydomain.com/mystack'
> 'http://mydomain.com/mystack'
> 'http://www.mydomain.com/mystack'
>
> none of these seem to work ? Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

RE: start using stack

John Dixon
Mike...

I would like to use a stack on the on-rev server from within a mobile app... looking at the dictionary 'go url' is not available to iOS

> Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:43:51 -0600
> Subject: Re: start using stack
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> If you're talking about remotely putting a stack in use from a desktop app,
> you'd need to "go url.." first then start using.
>
> If you're talking about lc server, it would just be a regular file path
> relative to the script that is trying to use the library stack.  Same
> directory, (and defaultfolder not changed) just start using
> "stackname.livecode"
>
> Otherwise give it either a full absolute path or a path relative to the lc
> script file.
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM, John Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can I put a stack into the message path that is on the on-rev server ?
> > If so, how do I write the 'start using stack' command ?
> >
> > 'www.mydomain.com/mystack'
> > 'http://mydomain.com/mystack'
> > 'http://www.mydomain.com/mystack'
> >
> > none of these seem to work ? Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Re: start using stack

Ian Wood-3
On 20 May 2013, at 23:51, John Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike...
>
> I would like to use a stack on the on-rev server from within a mobile app... looking at the dictionary 'go url' is not available to iOS

That's because this would be against the iOS developer agreement. The only downloadable code you're allowed to execute in an app is JavaScript etc. in a web view.

Ian

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
Ah. That would probably be because it would be "running arbitrary code.."
which is against the terms.  There might be a sneaky workaround, but if
you're wanting to submit it to the app store rather than self/internal use
it would probably not be a good idea.

Heres the idea though.

Copy the stack to the clipboard (from your desktop machine)  save the
clipboard data to your web server.. in a database or whatever.

Then on IOS, grab the data gain, push it into the clipboarddata["objects"]
and "paste".

Haven't tried it, no clue if it will work, no clue if you can "paste" a
second stack in on IOS, but maybe it will work.

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM, John Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike...
>
> I would like to use a stack on the on-rev server from within a mobile
> app... looking at the dictionary 'go url' is not available to iOS
>
> > Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:43:51 -0600
> > Subject: Re: start using stack
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> >
> > If you're talking about remotely putting a stack in use from a desktop
> app,
> > you'd need to "go url.." first then start using.
> >
> > If you're talking about lc server, it would just be a regular file path
> > relative to the script that is trying to use the library stack.  Same
> > directory, (and defaultfolder not changed) just start using
> > "stackname.livecode"
> >
> > Otherwise give it either a full absolute path or a path relative to the
> lc
> > script file.
> >

> > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM, John Dixon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Can I put a stack into the message path that is on the on-rev server ?
> > > If so, how do I write the 'start using stack' command ?
> > >
> > > 'www.mydomain.com/mystack'
> > > 'http://mydomain.com/mystack'
> > > 'http://www.mydomain.com/mystack'
> > >
> > > none of these seem to work ? Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
Hmm interesting. My dictionary shows it works on IOS, and I just tested it
in the simulator.  It worked!  Would still get kicked by apple, but
interesting nonetheless.

I set up a simple stack with 1 button.

This code in the button (minus the mangling caused by my email client):

*on* mouseUp x,y

   *go* url "http://192.168.254.4/libtest.livecode"

   *wait* 2 seconds with messages

   *close* stack "libtest"

*end* mouseUp

the address and stack are on my local net.

Click the button, the stack opens, waits 2 seconds and then closes
returning control to the main stack.

tested with both 5.5.4 and 6.0.1 community in the simulator (ipad 5.0 +)

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah. That would probably be because it would be "running arbitrary code.."
> which is against the terms.  There might be a sneaky workaround, but if
> you're wanting to submit it to the app store rather than self/internal use
> it would probably not be a good idea.
>
> Heres the idea though.
>
> Copy the stack to the clipboard (from your desktop machine)  save the
> clipboard data to your web server.. in a database or whatever.
>
> Then on IOS, grab the data gain, push it into the clipboarddata["objects"]
> and "paste".
>
> Haven't tried it, no clue if it will work, no clue if you can "paste" a
> second stack in on IOS, but maybe it will work.
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM, John Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mike...
>>
>> I would like to use a stack on the on-rev server from within a mobile
>> app... looking at the dictionary 'go url' is not available to iOS
>>
>> > Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:43:51 -0600
>> > Subject: Re: start using stack
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> >
>> > If you're talking about remotely putting a stack in use from a desktop
>> app,
>> > you'd need to "go url.." first then start using.
>> >
>> > If you're talking about lc server, it would just be a regular file path
>> > relative to the script that is trying to use the library stack.  Same
>> > directory, (and defaultfolder not changed) just start using
>> > "stackname.livecode"
>> >
>> > Otherwise give it either a full absolute path or a path relative to the
>> lc
>> > script file.

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
Hi interested too by this way to load stacks.. but I cannot get it to work on my on-rev server :
I get a "stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file"
Am i the only one?

- the file is accessible with 755 rights set to it and its parent folder within the on-rev space,
- i can reach the file ok with my browser and get as a result "REVO5500"
- no folder protection
- I tried with all my versions 5.5. and 6lc, and tried to save them as 2.7 (I have 3 test files) and then I re-created full virgin stacks from 6 lc;
- I tried with empty stacks, with or without fields as I know that can bang the server, and also just one image or one drawing (which works all right on the server for me).
- th're uploaded via Interachy,
- I test both via msg box and a test stack that makes the call and return result.

Just.. corrupted!! gr!
If someone has an idea where the trick is!?
thanks!

Re: start using stack

Alex Tweedly
It's all too easy to have a file be corrupted when ftp-ing it by
inadvertently using the wrong mode, so I'd start by checking that the
stack was copied in binary mode, while the .lc (or whatever) file was
copied as text mode.

If that doesn't help, then I'd be happy to try the same files on my
on-rev server; email me the .lc and the stack file you are having
trouble with (i.e. the small test ones - not your real stack :-) and
I'll try them out   -- [hidden email]

-- Alex.

On 23/05/2013 11:49, Robert Mann wrote:

> Hi interested too by this way to load stacks.. but I cannot get it to work on
> my on-rev server :
> I get a "stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file"
> Am i the only one?
>
> - the file is accessible with 755 rights set to it and its parent folder
> within the on-rev space,
> - i can reach the file ok with my browser and get as a result "REVO5500"
> - no folder protection
> - I tried with all my versions 5.5. and 6lc, and tried to save them as 2.7
> (I have 3 test files) and then I re-created full virgin stacks from 6 lc;
> - I tried with empty stacks, with or without fields as I know that can bang
> the server, and also just one image or one drawing (which works all right on
> the server for me).
> - th're uploaded via Interachy,
> - I test both via msg box and a test stack that makes the call and return
> result.
>
> Just.. corrupted!! gr!
> If someone has an idea where the trick is!?
> thanks!

RE: start using stack

John Dixon
The stack that you are going to use on your on-rev server... save it in legacy format... that seems to do the trick !

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:56:00 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: start using stack
>
> It's all too easy to have a file be corrupted when ftp-ing it by
> inadvertently using the wrong mode, so I'd start by checking that the
> stack was copied in binary mode, while the .lc (or whatever) file was
> copied as text mode.
>
> If that doesn't help, then I'd be happy to try the same files on my
> on-rev server; email me the .lc and the stack file you are having
> trouble with (i.e. the small test ones - not your real stack :-) and
> I'll try them out   -- [hidden email]
>
> -- Alex.
>

> On 23/05/2013 11:49, Robert Mann wrote:
> > Hi interested too by this way to load stacks.. but I cannot get it to work on
> > my on-rev server :
> > I get a "stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file"
> > Am i the only one?
> >
> > - the file is accessible with 755 rights set to it and its parent folder
> > within the on-rev space,
> > - i can reach the file ok with my browser and get as a result "REVO5500"
> > - no folder protection
> > - I tried with all my versions 5.5. and 6lc, and tried to save them as 2.7
> > (I have 3 test files) and then I re-created full virgin stacks from 6 lc;
> > - I tried with empty stacks, with or without fields as I know that can bang
> > the server, and also just one image or one drawing (which works all right on
> > the server for me).
> > - th're uploaded via Interachy,
> > - I test both via msg box and a test stack that makes the call and return
> > result.
> >
> > Just.. corrupted!! gr!
> > If someone has an idea where the trick is!?
> > thanks!

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
Thanks for the warning, I re-checked as following : -- tried to upLoad as txt, bin or mapped -- then checked by launching the stacks from Interarchy, with the open with option i regularly use for working with stack files on on-rev. => indeed the save as txt format proved.. bad! crashes LC6 on load such a file! The standard mode save with "file mapping" of Interachy does save stacks in binary mode on the server, so that is fine. There may be something though : when I try to get to a stack saved in the wrong "txt" mode with the go stack URL command, i get the msg "stack is corrupted" instead of "Hi you crashed me on the server!!" msg! Could there be a problem somewhere with mime type? here are 2 test stacks i use :drawings.livecodeimages.livecode and the testing one : goStackURL.livecode I also re-tested the save in legacy format, but does not help. And checked if there was an appleEvent call with contribution from jan Schenkel [apple Event & path normalizer routine] But no apple Event seem to fire up. (I remembered there was a problem with apple leopard - and YES i'm using LEOPARD 10.7.4) [file opening bug on max os x and rev 4.0] ??

Re: start using stack

Alex Tweedly
OK, I have to confess I'm confused :-(

I thought you were trying to run a script on LC server (on-rev) and
having trouble getting "start using stack" to work.

But the testing stack below is actually a desktop stack which does a "go
stack URL ..." ??
So - if the rest of this reply is misguided - let's step back and
describe the problem & stacks in question again.

Anyway - the problem with this test stack ( goStackURL.livecode ) is ....

ON mouseUp
    put empty into field "info" of this card
    go stack URL field "target" of this card in a new window
    put the result into field "info" of this card
END mouseUp

but currently (i.e. as downloaded) the field "target" is empty. I
copy/pasted the name of the URL you mentioned

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/drawings.livecode

into the field, and it then works OK - the drawings stack is downloaded and run in my IDE.

BTW - there is then a problem with
    put the result into field "info" of this card

I think that's a problem because "this card" is not clear just after the "go stack" - not entirely sure about that.

-- Alex.

On 23/05/2013 13:20, Robert Mann wrote:

> Thanks for the warning, I re-checked as following :-- tried to upLoad as txt,
> bin or mapped-- then checked by launching the stacks from Interarchy, with
> the open with option i regularly use for working with stack files on
> on-rev.=> indeed the save as txt format proved.. bad! crashes LC6 on load
> such a file!The standard mode save with "file mapping" of Interachy does
> save stacks in binary mode on the server, so that is fine.There may be
> something though : when I try to get to a stack saved in the wrong "txt"
> mode with the go stack URL command, i get the msg "stack is corrupted"
> instead of "Hi you crashed me on the server!!" msg!Could there be a problem
> somewhere with mime type?here are 2 test stacks i use : drawings.livecode
> <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/drawings.livecode>
> images.livecode
> <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/images.livecode>
> and the testing one : goStackURL.livecode
> <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/goStackURL.livecode>
> I also re-tested the save in legacy format, but does not help.And checked if
> there was an appleEvent call with contribution from jan Schenkel [apple
> Event & path normalizer routine]
> <http://quartam.blogspot.fr/2009/10/revolution-snow-leopard-and-appleevent.html>
> But no apple Event seem to fire up.(I remembered there was a problem with
> apple leopard - and YES i'm using LEOPARD 10.7.4) [file opening bug on max
> os x and rev 4.0]
> <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/anyone-know-how-to-fix-that-silly-stack-file-opening-bug-on-mac-os-x-and-rev-4-0-td348151.html>
> ??

Re: start using stack

Klaus major-k
Hi Alex,

Am 23.05.2013 um 15:20 schrieb Alex Tweedly <[hidden email]>:

> OK, I have to confess I'm confused :-(
>
> I thought you were trying to run a script on LC server (on-rev) and having trouble getting "start using stack" to work.
>
> But the testing stack below is actually a desktop stack which does a "go stack URL ..." ??
> So - if the rest of this reply is misguided - let's step back and describe the problem & stacks in question again.
>
> Anyway - the problem with this test stack ( goStackURL.livecode ) is ....
>
> ON mouseUp
>   put empty into field "info" of this card
>   go stack URL field "target" of this card in a new window
>   put the result into field "info" of this card
> END mouseUp
>
> but currently (i.e. as downloaded) the field "target" is empty. I copy/pasted the name of the URL you mentioned
>
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/drawings.livecode
>
> into the field, and it then works OK - the drawings stack is downloaded and run in my IDE.
>
> BTW - there is then a problem with
>   put the result into field "info" of this card
>
> I think that's a problem because "this card" is not clear just after the "go stack" - not entirely sure about that.

Yep, after you "go stack URL xyz" THAT stack is the defaultstack and thus field "info" will be presumed
to be on the current (first) card of the "online" stack.

So you will need
1. to set the defautlstack back to the "calling" stack before putting THE RESULT into fld "info"
or
2. do something like this:

ON mouseUp
  put empty into field "info" of this card
  put the long ID of fld "info" of this cd into tInfoFieldID
  go stack URL field "target" of this card in a new window
  put the result into tInfoFieldID
END mouseUp

> -- Alex.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
As mentioned by John Dixon, save the stack that you wish to "use' with your
on-rev server in legacy format.  LC server can't read the new stackfile
format. (in the ide, save as, bottom of the window choose legacy 2.7.  Save
it, pop it onto your account and go from there)

Also, not sure how scriptlimits are implemented in LC server, but you can
write an lc script that will take a posted script, create a stack file, set
the stack script to the script you sent, then save it on the server.  I've
done this with short scripts so that I could just have my own easy peasy
way to edit the stacks directly on the server. Load the script of the stack
into a form, edit it, pop it back into the stack file and save.  As
mentioned for shorty stuff it seemed to work fine, not sure if/when script
limits might kick in for that.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Robert Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes! thanks for the correction! I couldn't get to that point.. because *the
> problem lies somewhere on my on-rev server.*
>
> indeed calling the sample test stack with the nabble link works fine (once
> the result line corrected!)
>
> So  question is /do other guy than me have a problem with that command in
> the context of
> ==>  stack being on on-rev server "odin"/ ??
>
> Corrected "calling" stack :
> goStackURL.livecode
> <
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665294/goStackURL.livecode
> >
> Target stack :
> target stack on nabble
> <
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665288/drawings.livecode
> >
> target Stack on on-rev
> target stack on on-rev
> <http://rman.on-rev.com/stacks/LC6BIN/drawings.livecode>

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
Ok I corrected the loading test stack ("put the result in tTheLongIdofTheTargetField" does not work!)
which is here :
goStackURL.livecode
and which has the test addresses ready to click, and that shows the result

All the files referenced on my on-rev account exist and are loaded ok by LC6 except the one saved in a txt format that crash LC6.

For me it indicates there is a specific problem
-- either on my on-rev settings somewhere,
-- on the odin server

---- TO my view, The fact that lc server does not open latest stacks and needs legacy stacks to RUN,
SHOULD not affect the simple READ & LOAD of a stack from another via "GO STACK URL.." !? or?

I checked the MIME types in my cp panel, and am surprised that no mime type exist for livecode, lc rev...??

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
DOH, sorry yep I misunderstood. However, I have a workaround.   Change the
name of the file.  LC doesn't care what the extension is, but apparently
on-rev is set up so that (my guess) that .livecode is an extension that has
an action associated with it.  Which means that (I think) lc server tries
to open it, giving you the "stack corrupted" message (which to lc server it
is, especially if its the newer stack version)

Easiest way around the problem is give your files a different extension.  I
changed mine to .dat and its working fine now.  (you could also probably
store them in a database and just do a query using lc to pop out whichever
one you need and bipass the issue that way too.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Robert Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok I corrected the loading test stack ("put the result in
> tTheLongIdofTheTargetField" does not work!)
> which is here :
> goStackURL.livecode
> <
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665298/goStackURL.livecode
> >
> and which has the test addresses ready to click, and that shows the result
>
> All the files referenced on my on-rev account exist and are loaded ok by
> LC6
> except the one saved in a txt format that crash LC6.
>
> For me it indicates there is a specific problem
> -- either on my on-rev settings somewhere,
> -- on the odin server
>
> ---- TO my view, The fact that lc server does not open latest stacks and
> needs legacy stacks to RUN,
> SHOULD not affect the simple READ & LOAD of a stack from another via "GO
> STACK URL.." !? or?
>
> I checked the MIME types in my cp panel, and am surprised that no mime type
> exist for livecode, lc rev...??

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
Yeap!! Brilliant!! That is it... the LC server Beast was ruling the file system behind the scene!!
So I'think it's going to be a good idea for me to go and append the documentation of "go stack url" for on-rev users and put a warning for the ones who would try and download a stack from a folder "covered" by LC server! Thanks a lot for taking a look at that!

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
Yeah, would be a good idea to add the note.  I bet the reason its set up
that way is so that people can't snag your library stacks and pick em apart
for site hacking purposes.  If you hit the url for a .livecode file
directly, it only returns the very first string that designates the
stackfile format. Nothing else gets sent so they're definitely having
something else step in and process those files.

Pretty good idea actually. Otherwise it would make the security benefit of
using stack file libraries go poofy.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Robert Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeap!! Brilliant!! That is it... the LC server Beast was ruling the file
> system behind the scene!!
> So I'think it's going to be a good idea for me to go and append the
> documentation of "go stack url" for on-rev users and put a warning for the
> ones who would try and download a stack from a folder "covered" by LC
> server! Thanks a lot for taking a look at that!

Re: start using stack

Robert Mann
good idea true, although one could deal with that security issue voluntarily by giving rights to execute only and not download...

Note added! thanks again.

Re: start using stack

Mike Bonner
In this case its not executed its "read" by the engine. But putting it
outside the directories that can be hit would work swimmingly. (assuming
on-rev allows inclusion type stuff from outside the web folder structure.
Pretty sure it does)  Either way, WOOP it works!

On a different note, it would be kinda interesting to have  compressed lc
stacks for this purpose (like excel uses compressed xml files) both for
stackfiles themselves and standalones (even on winders). Smaller transfer
package, in the case of a standalone, windows and linux would be a single
file (like mac) that includes the externals and copied files.  Like a self
extracting engine file.  Probably not worth the effort though.