starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Is there a way to start/open the "Project Browser" (from the main LC Tools menu) using a script command for LC v8 and above?

It used to be (possibly v7 or before) that the stack retained the "state" of the Project Browser and would automatically display it when a stack was opened  if the stack were saved while the Project Browser was open.  This changed with v8 (I think).

Anyway, although I probably should move to "Navigator", I'm very comfortable with the Project Browser and use it all the time.  It is very annoying to have to use the LC menu each time I open a stack.  Similar the ability to "choose" the "browse" pointer in the Tools Palette and since I am incredibly lazy, I'd appreciate knowing if there were a way to "automate" the display of the Project Browser.

I can't seem to find anything related within the LC doc's (which are generally mainly helpful if you KNOW what you are looking for) or on the forums ... even looking generically for programmatic ways to call the LC menu options.

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Re: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hi Douglas,

> Am 23.10.2018 um 20:31 schrieb Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Is there a way to start/open the "Project Browser" (from the main LC Tools menu) using a script command for LC v8 and above?

this works, go figure :-D
go stack "revIDEProjectBrowser"

> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

On 10/23/2018 11:52 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
>> Am 23.10.2018 um 20:31 schrieb Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Is there a way to start/open the "Project Browser" (from the main LC Tools menu) using a script command for LC v8 and above?
>
> this works, go figure :-D
> go stack "revIDEProjectBrowser"

Also, it's a one-click action in 4wDevolution, and for extra credit you
can change that easily to launch Navigator instead.

Re: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode

does this help?

revIDETogglePalette "Project Browser"

you can test if the Project Browser is visible

put revIDEPaletteIsVisible("project browser")

Kind regards
Bernd

RE: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
thanks for the reply... as I mentioned, the location/sizing thing was the less important issue.  I didn't explain the standalone issue well enough.  I had the call to the rev-stack within a "if environment is development" condition, so a standalone compile would have ignored the goto ... it was the fact that when this call executed BEFORE trying to generate a standalone, i.e. running the code from  the IDE, that it wiped out my standalone setting.  If I had saved the stack without noticing this fact, then I would have lost all of those settings (which were fundamental to my app working!)

So, the issue was not DIRECTLY involved with the "generation" of the standalone, it was the issue that using this call set the standalone setting back to a "new-stack" default!

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

> On 10/24/2018 02:10 PM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply, Klaus... but I'm sure we all agree this is totally non-intuitive.  However,
> using this call in my openStack script does two negative things:
> >
> > 1) least important but somewhat self-defeating to my "goal", this now opens the Project Browser
> right on top of my app in some default height and width.  As a result I have to move it over to the
> side and adjust the size.  If I just open the Project Browser via the LC tools, it opens in the same
> position and size as to the last saved stack.
> >
> > 2) more importantly, after allowing this code to execute within my app, I went to create my
> standalone version and found that all of the Saved Standalone Application Settings were GONE! and the
> setting had reverted back to the default ones for a brand-new stack.  Luckily, by not saving the stack
> at that point and commenting out that call, the settings came back .. whew!
>
> I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but a couple of
> observations:
>
> 1. if you open the PB and then set the loc of it, both in your openStack (or preOpenStack) handler,
> then the browser should appear where you tell it to.
>
> 2. trying to do this in a standalone app is bound to fail. The PB is part if the LiveCode IDE, and
> thus a separate application from your standalone. If you really need to launch the browser in the IDE
> then you'll need to set up a means of communication between the two. Most probably socket
> communication via a plugin stack, but ymmv.
>
> --
>   Mark Wieder
>   [hidden email]

Re: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Brilliant!!! ... works perfectly when combined with a "set loc" and "set rect" call.  Doesn't touch the standalone settings!

Thanks so much!

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

> Hi,
>
> does this help?
>
> revIDETogglePalette "Project Browser"
>
> you can test if the Project Browser is visible
>
> put revIDEPaletteIsVisible("project browser")
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd

RE: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
You may also need to implement the workaround that accounts for a recent
change in the standalone builder.

<http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Standalone-build-workaround-tp4728140p4728141.html>

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On October 25, 2018 11:49:36 AM Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks for the reply... as I mentioned, the location/sizing thing was the
> less important issue.  I didn't explain the standalone issue well enough.
> I had the call to the rev-stack within a "if environment is development"
> condition, so a standalone compile would have ignored the goto ... it was
> the fact that when this call executed BEFORE trying to generate a
> standalone, i.e. running the code from  the IDE, that it wiped out my
> standalone setting.  If I had saved the stack without noticing this fact,
> then I would have lost all of those settings (which were fundamental to my
> app working!)
>
> So, the issue was not DIRECTLY involved with the "generation" of the
> standalone, it was the issue that using this call set the standalone
> setting back to a "new-stack" default!
>
> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935
>

>> On 10/24/2018 02:10 PM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode wrote:
>> > Thanks for the reply, Klaus... but I'm sure we all agree this is totally
>> non-intuitive.  However,
>> using this call in my openStack script does two negative things:
>> >
>> > 1) least important but somewhat self-defeating to my "goal", this now
>> opens the Project Browser
>> right on top of my app in some default height and width.  As a result I
>> have to move it over to the
>> side and adjust the size.  If I just open the Project Browser via the LC
>> tools, it opens in the same
>> position and size as to the last saved stack.
>> >
>> > 2) more importantly, after allowing this code to execute within my app, I
>> went to create my
>> standalone version and found that all of the Saved Standalone Application
>> Settings were GONE! and the
>> setting had reverted back to the default ones for a brand-new stack.
>> Luckily, by not saving the stack
>> at that point and commenting out that call, the settings came back .. whew!
>>
>> I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but a couple of
>> observations:
>>
>> 1. if you open the PB and then set the loc of it, both in your openStack
>> (or preOpenStack) handler,
>> then the browser should appear where you tell it to.
>>
>> 2. trying to do this in a standalone app is bound to fail. The PB is part
>> if the LiveCode IDE, and
>> thus a separate application from your standalone. If you really need to
>> launch the browser in the IDE
>> then you'll need to set up a means of communication between the two. Most
>> probably socket
>> communication via a plugin stack, but ymmv.
>>
>> --
>>   Mark Wieder
>>   [hidden email]

RE: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Thanks, Jacqueline.

I have not had any issues with using the StandAlone builder but then I am using LC v8.1.9. on Windows 7.  I did put Panos's code into my app ... made no apparent difference but good to have there anyway.

I'm a bit confused about the reference to "Similar in all other (pre)open*/close* messages." ... what is being recommended here (I get the "preOpen" bit) .. but the reference to the "close" I don't get ... some other function call??

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

> You may also need to implement the workaround that accounts for a recent change in the standalone
> builder.
>
> <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Standalone-build-workaround-tp4728140p4728141.html>
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email] HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
> On October 25, 2018 11:49:36 AM Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > thanks for the reply... as I mentioned, the location/sizing thing was
> > the less important issue.  I didn't explain the standalone issue well enough.
> > I had the call to the rev-stack within a "if environment is development"
> > condition, so a standalone compile would have ignored the goto ... it
> > was the fact that when this call executed BEFORE trying to generate a
> > standalone, i.e. running the code from  the IDE, that it wiped out my
> > standalone setting.  If I had saved the stack without noticing this
> > fact, then I would have lost all of those settings (which were
> > fundamental to my app working!)
> >
> > So, the issue was not DIRECTLY involved with the "generation" of the
> > standalone, it was the issue that using this call set the standalone
> > setting back to a "new-stack" default!
> >
> > Douglas Ruisaard
> > Trilogy Software
> > (250) 573-3935

Re: starting the Project Browser

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
It's referring to all engine messages that contain either "open" or
"close", so:

preOpenStack
preOpenBackground
preOpenCard
...etc
openStack
openBackground
openCard
...etc
closeStack
closeBackground
closeCard
...etc

I understand why this is necessary now, but it is pretty instrusive, is
going to bite a lot of people, and clutters up scripts. I'd like to see
some sort of toggle where we could use the older method if there is no
problem doing that.