strange behaviour of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi friends,

see subject...

I have a folder with a command line utility, one for Mac and one for Windows.
I put this into a folder in -> "specialfolderpath("resources") & "/theCLI"
adn add it via "Copy files" to my standalone.

Folder structure
theCLI (folder)
  play ## Mac version
  play.exe
  an_important.dll

Now after I built a standalone, Windows worked fine, but nothing worked on my Mac?
Usdually it is the other way round ;-)

So I took a look at the Mac application package and found that the standalone builder
had put the Mac version of the CLI into the ENGINE folder in a "copy?" of the original folder
but only containing the Mac version? 8-)

In the standalone:
specialfolderpath("engine")
 theCLI  (folder)
   play ## Mac Version

specialfolderpath("resources")
 theCLI  (folder)
   play.exe
   an_important.dll

This is very clever of the engine on one side, but very stupid on the other!?
What gives?

So if I now access that CLI in scripts in the standalone via specialfolderpath("engine")
everything works as advertized, but this cannot be the real McCoy, does it?

Now the thing does not work in the IDE unless I script also to differ between
IDE and standalone, no big fun really, sigh.

Tested with LC 8.1.9 stable and LC 9dp 11.

Bug or (very undocumented) feature?
Or just a egomaniacal behaviour of the engine?

Any hints, comments and whatnot very appreciated! :-)

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: strange behaviour of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Klaus,
the move to "engine" is documented, see specialfolder/engine.

This is the only "logic" way to do that because your "CLI" files are executables.
That is Mac is correct in docu and building the standalone.

The bug is now either the docu for Win/linux or the not-moving on Win/linux.

> Klaus M. wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> see subject...
>
> I have a folder with a command line utility, one for Mac and one for Windows.
> I put this into a folder in -> "specialfolderpath("resources") & "/theCLI"
> adn add it via "Copy files" to my standalone.
>
> Folder structure
> theCLI (folder)
>   play ## Mac version
>   play.exe
>   an_important.dll
>
> Now after I built a standalone, Windows worked fine, but nothing worked on my Mac?
> Usdually it is the other way round ;-)
>
> So I took a look at the Mac application package and found that the standalone builder
> had put the Mac version of the CLI into the ENGINE folder in a "copy?" of the original folder
> but only containing the Mac version? 8-)
>
> In the standalone:
> specialfolderpath("engine")
>  theCLI  (folder)
>    play ## Mac Version
>
> specialfolderpath("resources")
>  theCLI  (folder)
>    play.exe
>    an_important.dll
>
> This is very clever of the engine on one side, but very stupid on the other!?
> What gives?
>
> So if I now access that CLI in scripts in the standalone via specialfolderpath("engine")
> everything works as advertized, but this cannot be the real McCoy, does it?
>
> Now the thing does not work in the IDE unless I script also to differ between
> IDE and standalone, no big fun really, sigh.
>
> Tested with LC 8.1.9 stable and LC 9dp 11.
>
> Bug or (very undocumented) feature?
> Or just a egomaniacal behaviour of the engine?
>
> Any hints, comments and whatnot very appreciated! :-)

Re: strange behaviour of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hallo Hermann,

> Am 12.02.2018 um 15:22 schrieb hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Klaus,
> the move to "engine" is documented, see specialfolder/engine.
>
> This is the only "logic" way to do that because your "CLI" files are executables.
> That is Mac is correct in docu and building the standalone.
>
> The bug is now either the docu for Win/linux or the not-moving on Win/linux.

AHA, thank you!
Did not exspect this, but you are right, of course!, about the docu:
"engine": The folder containing the LiveCode engine and the executable files copied in the standalone application
I did not fully understand the "...and the executable files" part, obviously.

Mistery solved, case closed! :-)

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: strange behaviour of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
This is the same discussion I have been having for over a year now. Maybe 2. The workaround is to only build for one platform at a time, and quit LC between builds. LC seems to be getting confused about which is the original and which is the copy. It makes a mess of the stack files in your project. You will have to go back to the mainstack or whatever you build from and make sure the included files and stack files are not pointing to copies before building again.

Bob S

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 05:25 , Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi friends,
>
> see subject...
>
> I have a folder with a command line utility, one for Mac and one for Windows.
> I put this into a folder in -> "specialfolderpath("resources") & "/theCLI"
> adn add it via "Copy files" to my standalone.
>
> Folder structure
> theCLI (folder)
>  play ## Mac version
>  play.exe
>  an_important.dll
>
> Now after I built a standalone, Windows worked fine, but nothing worked on my Mac?
> Usdually it is the other way round ;-)
>
> So I took a look at the Mac application package and found that the standalone builder
> had put the Mac version of the CLI into the ENGINE folder in a "copy?" of the original folder
> but only containing the Mac version? 8-)
>
> In the standalone:
> specialfolderpath("engine")
> theCLI  (folder)
>   play ## Mac Version
>
> specialfolderpath("resources")
> theCLI  (folder)
>   play.exe
>   an_important.dll
>
> This is very clever of the engine on one side, but very stupid on the other!?
> What gives?
>
> So if I now access that CLI in scripts in the standalone via specialfolderpath("engine")
> everything works as advertized, but this cannot be the real McCoy, does it?
>
> Now the thing does not work in the IDE unless I script also to differ between
> IDE and standalone, no big fun really, sigh.
>
> Tested with LC 8.1.9 stable and LC 9dp 11.
>
> Bug or (very undocumented) feature?
> Or just a egomaniacal behaviour of the engine?
>
> Any hints, comments and whatnot very appreciated! :-)
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: strange behaviour of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Ah. I misunderstood your post.

Bob S